Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

RJ connection in AMM <24 hours, free transit visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold

Lonely Planet mentions that Jordan gives free transit visas at AMM. I am looking at a flight arriving 2305 and leaving the next day at 2015. I want to see if anyone has used a similar connection and if there are any hassles getting a transit visa at that late hour.

Also, any suggestions for a day in Amman?
Old May 16, 2014, 1:13 pm

I'm also interested in this. Flying RJ from BOM To AMM to DTW to GSP on 28-29 July in Business class. Arriving in AMM July 28 at 8 :35 AM and departing for DTW July 29 at 2:15 AM. Any guidance / advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 17, 2014, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Habsone
I'm also interested in this. Flying RJ from BOM To AMM to DTW to GSP on 28-29 July in Business class. Arriving in AMM July 28 at 8 :35 AM and departing for DTW July 29 at 2:15 AM. Any guidance / advise will be greatly appreciated.
I can confirm that RJ indeed gives you transit visa and puts you in a not-so-nice hotel near airport. If you are an Indian passport holder, immigration will keep your passport until you return back. Worse thing is hotel will not allow you to go out of their gates (if you want to go to say Amman or Dead-sea by yourself).

You are a captive of hotel, and your only job is eat & sleep & eat & sleep until your airport pickup arrives.

Hotel has 'special rooms'f or RJ guests with no WiFi, hard bed, non-working TV and AC. I won't be doing long layovers with RJ.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:14 am

US passport holder. 15 hours in not so nice hotel room and can not venture out ? That's not nice. Well, lounge it is.Thank you, K shastry.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Book a hotel on your own?

Originally Posted by kshastry
I can confirm that RJ indeed gives you transit visa and puts you in a not-so-nice hotel near airport. If you are an Indian passport holder, immigration will keep your passport until you return back. Worse thing is hotel will not allow you to go out of their gates (if you want to go to say Amman or Dead-sea by yourself).

You are a captive of hotel, and your only job is eat & sleep & eat & sleep until your airport pickup arrives.

Hotel has 'special rooms'f or RJ guests with no WiFi, hard bed, non-working TV and AC. I won't be doing long layovers with RJ.
With a US Passport, can't one just get a transit visa and go into the town and check into a hotel? How expensive are taxis and are there touristy things to do till a 8pm departure the following evening?
Old May 20, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I specifically asked about the transit visa and was told I could only venture out to the airport hotel with it. Otherwise, I had to purchase the tourist visa. (US Citizen)
Honestly, the lounge is 1000 times better than the hotel, so unless you need a lousy hotel room for any reason, might as well stay in the lounge.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by omarhaydar
I specifically asked about the transit visa and was told I could only venture out to the airport hotel with it. Otherwise, I had to purchase the tourist visa. (US Citizen)
Honestly, the lounge is 1000 times better than the hotel, so unless you need a lousy hotel room for any reason, might as well stay in the lounge.
I disagree.
if you want a few hrs uninterupted sleep and a free shower and the lounge when you get back.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: ABBA
I transited in Qatar last month, using the QR transit process. The time from leaving the plane to my head touching the pillow was about 2 hours, and they insisted on some stupidly early pick up time the next morning.

I have a short overnight transit in Jordan next week, en route TLV-AMM-CAI. Arrive 11PM, next flight takes off 8AM the next morning.

Ideally I want to avoid leaving the airport (I might be amenable to a short taxi ride, but I'm not waiting for a hotel bus)

Is the best bet to go through arrivals, buy a visa (I have a UK passport), and stay at the Amman Airport Hotel. Is it on site like the Sofitel at Heathrow T5, or is it a short taxi ride away?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
I did this transit just last week. It was my first time in the new terminal, which was impressive. I did the overnight stay several times from 2009 to 2012, when the airport hotel was a Golden Tulip franchise. For a lot of this time the place was severely disrupted by renovations. Now the place is just called Amman Airport Hotel, so I guess it's not part of any chain. It's very close to the terminal, a 3-minute ride or so.

When you get off the plane follow the signs as if you're going to change planes, i.e. not yet going to passport control and arrivals. At the security check for transiting passengers you'll see a counter on either side. On the left is the RJ transfer desk and on the right is a counter for the hotel. You go to the RJ counter first and present your onward boarding pass. I don't know if you ever book the hotel in advance. Every time I've done the overnight stay I just show up and they take me there. Anyway, at this counter they'll give you a couple of transit cards that get you through immigration.

After this I was directed to the hotel counter. From here the guy personally went with me through immigration all the way to the curb outside where it was only a minute or two before the hotel shuttle came. I was a J passenger, so I don't know if people in Y get taken care of this well. Immigration stamps the passport on the way in but not on the way out.

At the hotel checkin counter they will keep the transit cards. By the rules you're not supposed to leave the hotel or airport grounds. I guess the hotel gate will stop you from going to town. But if you're bound and determined to explore you can probably find a way, e.g. tell them you're going to the terminal to work on your reservation. And from there get a taxi to town. But of course if you get caught you could be in trouble.

It was my first time to stay here since it stopped being a Golden Tulip. Now this was only one visit so nothing like a good data sample. But my sense was that the place is better run. From checkin to checkout to getting the ride back to the airport everything was snappier. Under the prior management I remember waiting up to an hour for the ride back. Again I should say I was in J, this time and all the times before.

In the room the AC was working. People who have stayed here before know that this is not to be taken for granted. However, even when it was Golden Tulip the AC was on in the middle of summer. So we'll have to see if they still have it on in the spring and autumn. Even though outside temperatures are milder the inside of a room with the windows sealed shut can be boiling hot. But for now it's fine. We'll have to see how it is in other seasons.

As for the room in general things were fine. Different kinds of plugins are available to charge your electronics. On the TV, which actually worked, there are adequate channels but not amazing numbers. For one stay 2 years ago the bathroom stunk to high heaven. But this time it was clean and everything was fine. All in all it was a nice place to get some sleep for a few hours. I can't agree with people who say that it's better to stay all night in the lounge.

One irritation is you have to pay for Wifi. I was only there during late night sleeping hours so I didn't miss it so much. But if you have a longer layover into waking hours you'll miss it and it sticks in the craw to have to pay for it.

Meals are included in the stayover but again, with hours I was staying there I didn't get dinner. I opted to do breakfast in the lounge, which I found a bit disappointing. On prior visits I used the sports bar and outdoor sitting and sheesha smoking area, but it was past closing time when I got there this time. I'm not sure if they make you pay for the pool or gym and I would be interested to know.

All in all it's an ok stopover. Flying with RJ, a small airline with limited schedules, often means having these long layovers. If the hotel service and product is improved like it seems to be then I can recommend it.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:44 pm

Just did the RJ overnight transit (9p-7a), and the last description is actually very accurate.

I did not know what to expect and was about to go to the airport mini-hotel by myself. Instead, I was sent from desk to desk... Service wasn't brilliant, but it worked somehow. It took 45' to get to the hotel (without ever mentioning we were going to a hotel!). Old crappy bus, but the hotel itself has been renovated. AC, free wifi, everything clean. Novotel/Holiday Inn standards, maybe a bit better. Food was included but I passed, cannot say about the quality. Staff were not the best-trained but were genuinely caring ('come on you should eat it's free!!').

Erratic wake-up call service -- was called 3 times... But I enjoyed a good night sleep. You'd have to be stupid to do the lounge instead (although it is understandable based on older reviews). Comfortable bed, real shower...

All in one: I was less tired flying from Bahrain to Paris in two little bits with a hotel night in the middle than with the non-stop red eye (2a-7a), and price was much lower (40% cheaper in J). I may do it again. Only issue is it is really nothing predictable... Not sure about the conditions to get it.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Doing a transit in AMM in october..arrive after midnight and leave 430 pm next day. Just checking to see if the transit visa is still available..and if you have to stay at the airport hotel..

Another part of our party arrives 9am the next morning and transits 12 hours later..same story? Meaning are choices stay at airport, use airport hotel, or pay visa and go to amman or jerash.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
At the hotel checkin counter they will keep the transit cards. By the rules you're not supposed to leave the hotel or airport grounds. I guess the hotel gate will stop you from going to town. But if you're bound and determined to explore you can probably find a way, e.g. tell them you're going to the terminal to work on your reservation. And from there get a taxi to town. But of course if you get caught you could be in trouble.

I was picking my friend up from the hotel yesterday (she had a full visit visa) and they checked ID's at the gate when we entered by car and scrutinized her passport and visa very carefully before opening the gate/barrier. Telling them you are going to work on your reservation in the airport will not work.

Also in Jordan,they often stop cars (especially on the airport highway) and check ID's,is it worth it to get in trouble because of 40JDs?

To worldiswide,could you provide some more details so we can help you?

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Jun 23, 2016 at 6:53 am
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:49 pm

Thanks for your help. We are going to get the visa and be on the up and up. It's not worth any potential trouble, totally agree and we would like to be in Amman rather than at the airport

Do I need Jordanian cash for the visa or can I use a credit card for the visa
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks for your help. We are going to get the visa and be on the up and up. It's not worth any potential trouble, totally agree and we would like to be in Amman rather than at the airport

Do I need Jordanian cash for the visa or can I use a credit card for the visa
Yeah you need Jordanian cash,but there is an ATM and a currency exchange,the latter would give you around 68JDs for 100USD,whereas the exchange kiosks in town would give you 70,5-71JD for same 100USD.

I would also advise to use Uber to/from the airport at their fixed 15JD rate (taxi is 25),they accept both cash and cards. It's also good for moving around the city.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:34 pm

Great tips.. thanks.. anything you would suggest for our day in Amman..we have b een to Petra and Jerash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.