Wiki Posts
Search

SA vs AF/DL (with *S)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
SA vs AF/DL (with *S)

I plan on flying to MRU from the US, and was looking at DL/MK and SA in economy. I will be flying with an infant as well.

Any thoughts as to which to choose?

SA is about 10% more in cost ($1700 vs $1900), and it seems the seat pitch is about 2" more. I have flown with MK before and I have been happy. I am also *S, so I am not sure if SA provides any extra benefits.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
No real tangible benefit of *S on SA but it certainly makes sense from a miles earning perspective if that's your primary program. Where are your transfers on the DL/MK route? JNB is quite a nice airport and easy to transfer but I find having to go through transit immigration and get a transit stamp in your passport annoying and unnecessary. (I'm getting tight on space only 3 years into a 10 year passport)

I found SA's Y seat to be reasonable on their A346 but it's my only sample, was in C on our other SA segments. It was miles more comfortable than SQ's Y seat (77W and 772) that we had getting to South Africa.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
Currently looking at SEA-AMS-CDG-MRU vs SEA-JFK-JNB-MRU.

Yes miles would be nice, and this trip will only let me maintain my *S. I don't think the miles are the extra cost on its own.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Most of SA's longhaul product is identical. The A332 are newer and slightly better than the A346/A343. IAD is A332, and JFK A346.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
*S means nothing, ST Elite means nothing, either (if you decide to credit to ST).

CDG is a mess though.. Transit in JNB might be easier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.