SAA: same configuration for int'l and domestic?

Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
SAA: same configuration for int'l and domestic?

Hi there, we'll be flying CPT-JNB on a SAA A 330. According to the SAA website they operate only one configuration. Does this mean we'll get fully-flat seats even on this two-hour hop? Sounds too good to be true! Will catering be any different to what I'd be getting on a 737?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by planestupid
Hi there, we'll be flying CPT-JNB on a SAA A 330. According to the SAA website they operate only one configuration. Does this mean we'll get fully-flat seats even on this two-hour hop? Sounds too good to be true! Will catering be any different to what I'd be getting on a 737?
Yes, that's what it means. Sometimes you get the A340 on that route - and in the past used to get B747 (with first class seats). I don't believe catering is any different though from standard domestic. I think the reason for these planes on this route is purely re-positioning - and they can and do change metal - so don't be disappointed if you end up on something else.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Thanks cmcbugg! I won't hold my breath then but it'd be nice to be able to sample the SAA long haul product.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I had the A340 last week. It was a full flight (SA333). There were many op-ups. Catering and service was domestic.

The seats had no pillows, no headphones were handed out, no pre departure beverage, no towel service, etc.

For catering they started off with a drinks run, then followed by a cold lunch. Drinks were offered throughout the flight.

The luggage carousel in CPT was overwhelmed with the number of passengers who were collecting bags.

Overall it was a good flight.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
.... I think the reason for these planes on this route is purely re-positioning - and they can and do change metal - so don't be disappointed if you end up on something else.

Well, with the scrapping of the CPT/LHR flights, there are no int SA departures from CPT anymore. So no repositioning. But it appears they are keeping one or two A340 flights on that route, probably to cater for the pax arriving in J on the LHR/JNB flights.
My experience (somewhat limited) is that they don't change the metal on those flights. But YMMV and I will have another opportunity to test this out on 4 October when I should have taken the LHR/CPT flight which does no longer exists and have been rebooked through JNB
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
My understanding is that they schedule them on CPT to increase utilization, rather than just have them sit all day in JNB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.