Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

A Kenya Airways theft from luggage and how the CEO of KQ stepped in

Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, Hertz Gold

Hope this is the right forum to post this!

This Jan, I was flying KQ from DXB to DAR via NBO and bought some
perfumes at Dubai Duty free. Since I had a long wait at NBO airport, upon reaching NBO, I decided to check in my hand luggage. I locked the bag with a small padlock. and received it on the carousel in Dar. Outwardly the lock was fine and nothing was disturbed. But upon reaching home, I opened the bag and discovered that a Hugo Boss perfume (worth US$70) was missing with just the outer gift box and plastic wrapper torn left behind in the bag.

Obviously the theft took place in between NBO- DAR sector and the thieves were careful to lock the bag after somehow breaking open the lock...Normally you throw up your hands in the air and shout a few choice expletives and thats that...But I decided to write an email to KQ Customer service and for the heck of it cc-ed it to the CEO of KQ- Dr Titus Naikuni (Thanks Google search!) .....I followed it up again a month later and asked for compensation- got a generic reply- we are doing our best to recify our procedures etc from KQ DAR office-

But then the CEO forwarded it to their Head of Customer relations and voila- last week the airline calls me from NBO and offers full compensation - which came through in the 2 days

Now thats a great way to regain a customers trust, Thanks Titus!^
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
A horror story with Kenya Airways and how the CEO of KQ stepped in

Happy ending
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having a bottle of perfume stolen from luggage is a "horror story"?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Having a bottle of perfume stolen from luggage is a "horror story"?
Yeah, I read the headline and thought somebody had been horribly abused, suffered days of delay, passenger riot, etc. A pilfered perfume bottle? Meh.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Yeah, I read the headline and thought somebody had been horribly abused, suffered days of delay, passenger riot, etc. A pilfered perfume bottle? Meh.
+1.

Mods, please consider a change to the thread title. A little bottle of Hugo Boss walking off isn't exactly horrific.

[Thread title changed and thread re-directed to appropriate airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Misleading of the year.

I was hoping to hear something about OP running from machete weilding rebels through a pack of lions while dragging his carry-on with a missing wheel.... or getting a ride from the local militia to airport as long as he promises to man the machine gun in back of the jeep.

OP, you lost respect points. All of them.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:46 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Either way, it's disheartening to have theft from baggage.

I am pleased to see that compensation was offered, in what appears to be a prompt manner.

Kenya Airways will never likely find the likely suspects, as there are too many locations and people to interview for a $70 item.

Nevertheless, it's nice to know that Kenya Airways has your back. . .
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, Hertz Gold
For those who felt it was misleading sorry....but having items pilfered and then locks put back on...was a shock....any way I wanted people to know how copying a CEO in can sometimes be useful...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.