Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 18, 11, 8:17 am   #1
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TPE
Posts: 69
transit in Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)

Are there any people here who have an experience of International to International travel with a transit in Riyadh (less than 5 hrs)? Flying with Saudiairlines both sections. Only found a discussion here regarding transit without visa, but no real experiences, only guesses and ideas.
yyz1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 8:49 am   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA-1k, .8mm, Gulf Air-Silver, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Posts: 5,516
What is your question or concern?
__________________
"Love ya don't tell ya enough" & God Bless
UA EQM's 2014 - 20k
schley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 4:52 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TPE
Posts: 69
My question is - transit in Riyadh without visa when flying Intl to Intl and transit time is 4-5 hrs.
yyz1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 7:35 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1505 View Post
My question is - transit in Riyadh without visa when flying Intl to Intl and transit time is 4-5 hrs.
Here's website that you can use to check the entry and transit requirements: http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/
holtju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 11, 5:11 am   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA-1k, .8mm, Gulf Air-Silver, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Posts: 5,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1505 View Post
My question is - transit in Riyadh without visa when flying Intl to Intl and transit time is 4-5 hrs.
You mean is it possible? How to do it? What desk you go to? Can you leave the airport? Do you have lounge access to a camel and arabic coffee? What exactly, I am willing to help but I still dont' know what information you need.
__________________
"Love ya don't tell ya enough" & God Bless
UA EQM's 2014 - 20k
schley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 8:41 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EK Gold, SV Gold, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD RIP, VN Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
Do you have lounge access to a camel and arabic coffee?


Do you have lounge access to a seat, is the better question
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 11, 9:29 am   #7
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), US & BA Emerald, EY Silv, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,155
You may view this report for RUH transit procedures:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/187581
__________________
ASIANA AIRLINES - IMHO *A BEST AIRLINE (and my preferred airline to Asia/Australia)
TPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 11, 11:43 am   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH DIA, SPG
Posts: 5,464
I have been to Saudi many times and I think things have changed a lot there in the last 2 years.

Connecting through RUH Int'l to Int'l is becoming a simple process especially if you are flying SV. The moment you enter the terminal from the air plane bridge just inform any of SV staff there of your connection and they will allow you to cross the door to the departure area and get you a boarding pass for your next flight.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:46 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EK Gold, SV Gold, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD RIP, VN Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 5,319
Good to hear, NA-Flyer. I do wonder whether the gate agents at other airports have caught up!
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 12, 10:50 am   #10
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: UA,AA,BA,AS,HH,SPG,IHG
Posts: 424
I'm also looking for info about transit in Riyadh, so I'll post here instead of making a new thread.

What can you do with a long (~12 hour) layover in Riyadh? Is it possible to leave the airport for a few hours? Any hotels nearby? Secluded areas to lie down within the airport? Other suggestions on how to kill the time?

Just to make it more complicated, there will be 2 young children traveling.
aarif1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 12, 4:53 pm   #11
Ambassador, British Aiways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LON, RUH and DXB
Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Posts: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarif1 View Post
I'm also looking for info about transit in Riyadh, so I'll post here instead of making a new thread.

What can you do with a long (~12 hour) layover in Riyadh? Is it possible to leave the airport for a few hours? Any hotels nearby? Secluded areas to lie down within the airport? Other suggestions on how to kill the time?

Just to make it more complicated, there will be 2 young children traveling.
Unless you can secure transit visas in advance, you won't be able to leave the airport. Search here on FT for the experiences of one US-based member who did manage to secure a visa last year. We met up and I showed him around for a few hours.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the departure lounge where there are seats, ATMs, cafes, coffee stands, paid wifi, prayer rooms and plane-spotting.

Even if you can get visas, you're faced with a couple of hours queuing at immigration and a 45 min cab ride into the city. I don't recall an airport hotel but most of the major chains are represented in the city centre.

Riyadh isn't really a family-friendly tourist destination unless you are prepared for or familiar with the culture.

What is your itinerary and nationality/ethnicity ? (It makes a difference)
dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 6:09 am   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: UA,AA,BA,AS,HH,SPG,IHG
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Unless you can secure transit visas in advance, you won't be able to leave the airport. Search here on FT for the experiences of one US-based member who did manage to secure a visa last year. We met up and I showed him around for a few hours.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the departure lounge where there are seats, ATMs, cafes, coffee stands, paid wifi, prayer rooms and plane-spotting.

Even if you can get visas, you're faced with a couple of hours queuing at immigration and a 45 min cab ride into the city. I don't recall an airport hotel but most of the major chains are represented in the city centre.

Riyadh isn't really a family-friendly tourist destination unless you are prepared for or familiar with the culture.

What is your itinerary and nationality/ethnicity ? (It makes a difference)
Thanks for the response. I was kind of afraid of that, maybe I should have looked closer at the transit times when making the reservation... but then again it was a pretty good fare.

I am not actually traveling, it's my wife, kids, and in-laws. My wife and in-laws are Pakistani citizens, my kids are U.S citizens. They are coming in from ISB and flying to JFK.

What are the rates for wifi?
aarif1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:22 am   #13
Ambassador, British Aiways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LON, RUH and DXB
Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Posts: 2,608
I'm sorry I don't recall the prices for wifi other than it isn't too expensive by western standards. I have never spent that long there, but maybe $5/hr ? There are ATMs for local currency if they can't pick any up at ISB.

They'll be bored but it's not so bad there. At least they'll be able to eat, drink, smoke, pray and use the bathroom, etc. There will also be many other people from S Asia.

hth
dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.