Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 18, 11, 8:17 am   #1

transit in Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)

Are there any people here who have an experience of International to International travel with a transit in Riyadh (less than 5 hrs)? Flying with Saudiairlines both sections. Only found a discussion here regarding transit without visa, but no real experiences, only guesses and ideas.
yyz1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 8:49 am   #2

Programs: UA-1k, .8mm, Gulf Air-Silver, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
What is your question or concern?
Old Dec 18, 11, 4:52 pm   #3

My question is - transit in Riyadh without visa when flying Intl to Intl and transit time is 4-5 hrs.
yyz1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 11, 7:35 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1505 View Post
My question is - transit in Riyadh without visa when flying Intl to Intl and transit time is 4-5 hrs.
Here's website that you can use to check the entry and transit requirements: http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/
holtju2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 11, 5:11 am   #5

Programs: UA-1k, .8mm, Gulf Air-Silver, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1505 View Post
You mean is it possible? How to do it? What desk you go to? Can you leave the airport? Do you have lounge access to a camel and arabic coffee? What exactly, I am willing to help but I still dont' know what information you need.
Old Dec 20, 11, 8:41 pm   #6

Programs: EK Gold, SV Gold, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD RIP, VN Plat, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
Do you have lounge access to a camel and arabic coffee?

Do you have lounge access to a seat, is the better question
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 11, 9:29 am   #7
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), US & BA Emerald, EY Silv, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
You may view this report for RUH transit procedures:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/187581
Old Dec 31, 11, 11:43 am   #8

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH DIA, SPG
I have been to Saudi many times and I think things have changed a lot there in the last 2 years.

Connecting through RUH Int'l to Int'l is becoming a simple process especially if you are flying SV. The moment you enter the terminal from the air plane bridge just inform any of SV staff there of your connection and they will allow you to cross the door to the departure area and get you a boarding pass for your next flight.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:46 pm   #9

Programs: EK Gold, SV Gold, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD RIP, VN Plat, SPG Plat
Good to hear, NA-Flyer. I do wonder whether the gate agents at other airports have caught up!
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 12, 10:50 am   #10

Programs: UA,AA,BA,AS,HH,SPG,IHG
I'm also looking for info about transit in Riyadh, so I'll post here instead of making a new thread.

What can you do with a long (~12 hour) layover in Riyadh? Is it possible to leave the airport for a few hours? Any hotels nearby? Secluded areas to lie down within the airport? Other suggestions on how to kill the time?

Just to make it more complicated, there will be 2 young children traveling.
aarif1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 12, 4:53 pm   #11
Ambassador, British Aiways Executive Club

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarif1 View Post
I'm also looking for info about transit in Riyadh, so I'll post here instead of making a new thread.

What can you do with a long (~12 hour) layover in Riyadh? Is it possible to leave the airport for a few hours? Any hotels nearby? Secluded areas to lie down within the airport? Other suggestions on how to kill the time?

Just to make it more complicated, there will be 2 young children traveling.
Unless you can secure transit visas in advance, you won't be able to leave the airport. Search here on FT for the experiences of one US-based member who did manage to secure a visa last year. We met up and I showed him around for a few hours.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the departure lounge where there are seats, ATMs, cafes, coffee stands, paid wifi, prayer rooms and plane-spotting.

Even if you can get visas, you're faced with a couple of hours queuing at immigration and a 45 min cab ride into the city. I don't recall an airport hotel but most of the major chains are represented in the city centre.

Riyadh isn't really a family-friendly tourist destination unless you are prepared for or familiar with the culture.

What is your itinerary and nationality/ethnicity ? (It makes a difference)
dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 6:09 am   #12

Programs: UA,AA,BA,AS,HH,SPG,IHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Unless you can secure transit visas in advance, you won't be able to leave the airport. Search here on FT for the experiences of one US-based member who did manage to secure a visa last year. We met up and I showed him around for a few hours.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the departure lounge where there are seats, ATMs, cafes, coffee stands, paid wifi, prayer rooms and plane-spotting.

Even if you can get visas, you're faced with a couple of hours queuing at immigration and a 45 min cab ride into the city. I don't recall an airport hotel but most of the major chains are represented in the city centre.

Riyadh isn't really a family-friendly tourist destination unless you are prepared for or familiar with the culture.

What is your itinerary and nationality/ethnicity ? (It makes a difference)
Thanks for the response. I was kind of afraid of that, maybe I should have looked closer at the transit times when making the reservation... but then again it was a pretty good fare.

I am not actually traveling, it's my wife, kids, and in-laws. My wife and in-laws are Pakistani citizens, my kids are U.S citizens. They are coming in from ISB and flying to JFK.

What are the rates for wifi?
aarif1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:22 am   #13
Ambassador, British Aiways Executive Club

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I'm sorry I don't recall the prices for wifi other than it isn't too expensive by western standards. I have never spent that long there, but maybe $5/hr ? There are ATMs for local currency if they can't pick any up at ISB.

They'll be bored but it's not so bad there. At least they'll be able to eat, drink, smoke, pray and use the bathroom, etc. There will also be many other people from S Asia.

hth
dunk is offline   Reply With Quote