Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf Air and award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GF Black
Gulf Air and award tickets

Did anyone tried using their miles recently for the award tickets? I've dummy tried a couple of times and it seems that they do block certain flight times and leave only a couple of possible flights which have expected low sales on it. Gulf Air doesn't specifically address this issue, but it seems like its laying it as "give or take". Another issue is the frequent flyer thing. Now, they have started an option where a blue class flyer can upgrade himself to silver through miles, provided that they have at least earned 500 loyalty points. Now, my wife and kid are already enrolled under me in the family program. Does anyone who that would work?? when I login, there's no way to upgrade my lady since it only recognizes me.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:13 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lunardream
Did anyone tried using their miles recently for the award tickets? I've dummy tried a couple of times and it seems that they do block certain flight times and leave only a couple of possible flights which have expected low sales on it. Gulf Air doesn't specifically address this issue, but it seems like its laying it as "give or take". Another issue is the frequent flyer thing. Now, they have started an option where a blue class flyer can upgrade himself to silver through miles, provided that they have at least earned 500 loyalty points. Now, my wife and kid are already enrolled under me in the family program. Does anyone who that would work?? when I login, there's no way to upgrade my lady since it only recognizes me.
Most airlines release select seats on select flights, many with low sales of revenue tix. This is how it works. No surprises there. I have booked reward seats on GF a couple months back no problems.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Most airlines release select seats on select flights, many with low sales of revenue tix. This is how it works. No surprises there. I have booked reward seats on GF a couple months back no problems.
the problem is that even my friends who have a good quantity of GF miles to be redeemed for any long haul ticket, with the surcharges and taxes, the price is just too high and you find out that buying it actually is a lot better than spending the miles :S
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I have a BEY-DXB flight to make using points in J class. It worked out the same price almost as buying a Y class ticket.

Thats least of my concerns...the on line booking system would not accept payment!! So I escelated to GF handling agent in Sydney AND an email to Gold FF desk AND email to general FF desk!

Pretty frustrating.

CJ
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:27 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lunardream
the problem is that even my friends who have a good quantity of GF miles to be redeemed for any long haul ticket, with the surcharges and taxes, the price is just too high and you find out that buying it actually is a lot better than spending the miles :S
Fair enough, but this has no connection to your initial post
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Fair enough, but this has no connection to your initial post
I was reflecting back on an earlier post about issuing an award ticket
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I tried to book redemption fares LHR/MCT in J but failed. The system allowed me to book the LHR/BAH sector but not the BAH/MCT flight (maybe because it was operated by Privatair on behalf of GF)
Gulf CS was useless, and FF department kept bouncing me to CS so I eventually sorted it myself and had to buy economy fares BAH/MCT/BAH and upgrade to J with 6000 miles and then redeem miles (96,000+taxes) for my LHR flights.
Incidentally, my allocated seats are in cabin no 2 (row 8) as the front cabin is for Full flex ticket J Pax.
I just hope I make the tight connection....
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
In the 3 1/2 years I have flown on GF I haven't redeemed once. I take that back I used 9k miles to allow 3 friends to enter the lounge once. But with the fuel surchages and taxes it doesn't make sense to use them on award tickets and will use them for upgrades if I can in the future. I actually don't know if they charge for using miles for upgrades, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:49 pm
NoY

I have burned 100% of miles earned in the last few years. Not easy all of the time but I got there. Flexibility on needed (naturally) and all of them were Y to J upgrades. Happy that their one way Y base fares from LHR or BKK were reasonable too ^
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Ive burnt mine on a few Virgin Upper Class SYD-LHR-SYD, Eurostar and only this time on GF. I think Ive got pretty good value out my GF miles. I only fly enough to maintain status now.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I don't know what this means as I haven't had any information in my flights with GF in the past.

"Upgrades must be claimed in advance; they are not available at the airport, unless you are upgrading in the designated lounges, find more information on lounge upgrade.

Upgrading to a higher class will be conditional on the member being suitably attired."

What stipulation for dress is required? I have traveled in shorts etc with them in F even and didn't face this. I'm guessing women?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:05 pm

CS is such a pain, I get a headache every time I deal with them. Wife and I have over 50K ea. and would love to burn them from KL to Australia. Not sure I can get it to work, or if its even worth the trouble.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schley
I don't know what this means as I haven't had any information in my flights with GF in the past.

"Upgrades must be claimed in advance; they are not available at the airport, unless you are upgrading in the designated lounges, find more information on lounge upgrade.

Upgrading to a higher class will be conditional on the member being suitably attired."

What stipulation for dress is required? I have traveled in shorts etc with them in F even and didn't face this. I'm guessing women?
LOOL I was wondering what the suitably attired sentence meant too, I mean did they enforce a dress code on anyone who's still paying full fare J class and turned him down for Hawaiian shirts and shorts?

Whenever I'm at the Business class check-in counter in BAH, and I ask the GF for upgrading with cash, they refer me to sales office in the middle area. For the upgrades with miles, you can do it at their check-in counter.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:57 am

I am curious to how people have spent GFF miles on Virgin. Can you do it online or do you have to call GFF CS?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:02 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by HangingOver
I am curious to how people have spent GFF miles on Virgin. Can you do it online or do you have to call GFF CS?
Phone only. Although when I tried (redemption was potentially on on AA though) they didn't know what the hell I was talking about Gave up & redeemed elsewhere on GF metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.