Wiki Posts
Search

IFE System SAA Airbus A240-200

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

IFE System SAA Airbus A240-200

Hi,

I will be flying business on the A340-200 in a few weeks. I have been told that on this aircraft there is only Personal Television Viewing (PVT) as opposed to AVOD. Can anyone shed light on the difference? Can you choose which movie you want to watch?

Thanks!

Hans
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by hanswmueller
Hi,

I will be flying business on the A340-200 in a few weeks. I have been told that on this aircraft there is only Personal Television Viewing (PVT) as opposed to AVOD. Can anyone shed light on the difference? Can you choose which movie you want to watch?

Thanks!

Hans
There are a number of channels that you can choose from (I can't remember how many, I personally seldom use the IFE, I dont like earphones on and watching a screen whilst I eat and after the meal I go to sleep).
But you cannot choose when to start the program, stop it, rewind it etc. The last two letters of AVOD mean "On Demand". With the PTV on the 342, there is no 'demand'.
Praise yourself lucky you are not in Y: main screen movie only!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American Gold AAdvantage
Not that it matter to the original poster for their upcoming trip, but the SAA A340-200's will start leaving the fleet in December 2010, as they are being replaced with A330-200's.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:35 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by FlyPI
Not that it matter to the original poster for their upcoming trip, but the SAA A340-200's will start leaving the fleet in December 2010, as they are being replaced with A330-200's.
Really, I have not heard this. What's your source? Leased (as the current 342's) or owned? (the latter is hardly likely, considering SAA's debt position).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
Flew an A340-200 last night MUC-JNB. 6 channels of movie, 3 channels of TV in business class. Not "on-demand" but the old style where the movie starts at a fixed time and you log into whereever it happens to be at the time.

Gave up in end, and watched the Flight Map; there was slow action and no dialogue, but it was better than nothing.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Flying JNB PER next week. Carrying iPad and Bose headphones

Will just use SAA seat/bed and wine^
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Flying JNB PER next week. Carrying iPad and Bose headphones

Will just use SAA seat/bed and wine^
Clearly you have the style and discernment to enjoy the very best aspects of SAA.

I enjoyed my flights last week and look forward to my flights with them next week.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by overrun

Gave up in end, and watched the Flight Map; there was slow action and no dialogue, but it was better than nothing.
Wow, that's desparation! I am not much of an IFE user: as I fly most of my longhauls between South Africa and Europe overnight, I prefer to use the flat bed and sleep. Travelled EK via DBX in April, thats a loooong way around. Ended up watching a few movies during the daytime sector but then the 'ICE' system on EK is excellent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.