Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Arkia may halt flights to Denmark over security row.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle

Haaretz: Moves may come in light of Denmark's refusal to allow Israeli security personnel to perform security checks on passengers flying from Copenhagen to Tel Aviv on Arkia Airlines.
Moreover, Denmark is also opposed to the Israeli security guards holding weapons in Copenhagen Airport.

Am I right that the UK also doesn't allow ELAL staff to carry weapons, and supply instead armed police guards at Elal's check in?
Are there any other countries that ban Elal's security to carry weapons?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: LY, BT
This is a common policy - the Shabak won't authorise the flights, which means they have to be stopped immediately. Similar things happened in Turkey a few years ago (long before the current diplomatic crisis by the way), when the Turkish authorities revoked the security guards' permissions to carry weapons - El Al cancelled it's route to IST within hours, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded and dependent on Turkish charter flights...
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...cerns-1.126344
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
In the UK, the ELAL staff aren't armed at the airports. However, the sky-marshals working for ELAL do have weapons, which are securely locked away until they are onboard the aircraft - they do not have permission to carry in the terminals at all.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by sn1ke
However, the sky-marshals working for ELAL do have weapons, which are securely locked away until they are onboard the aircraft - they do not have permission to carry in the terminals at all.
I don't think that it's possible for any country to ban the weapons on the aircraft, as the aircraft is considered as the country where it's registered, neither can they board the aircraft to make an arrest without approval (we all remember when an Israeli official was advised not to disembark at Heathrow as he would be arrested if he did so).

Last edited by ELAL; Jun 27, 2011 at 1:15 am
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
I don't think that it's possible for any country to ban the weapons on the aircraft, as the aircraft is considered as the country where it's registered, neither can they board the aircraft to make an arrest without approval (we all remember when an Israeli official was advised not to disembark at Heathrow as he would be arrested if he does so).
(Fixed your typo )

Not so sure about that. When the FBI arrested the attempted Times Sqaure bomber, they arrested him on board an EK flight on the tarmac at JFK, waiting for takeoff. I don't believe they had permission from the UAE
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ELAL
I don't think that it's possible for any country to ban the weapons on the aircraft, as the aircraft is considered as the country where it's registered, neither can they board the aircraft to make an arrest without approval (we all remember when an Israeli official was advised not to disembark at Heathrow as he would be arrested if he did so).
Agreed. However, there is a distinction here between pax arriving in on an inbound flight, and pax leaving on an outbound flight.
Pax incoming haven't yet stepped onto the 'host' soil, and therefore by staying on the aircraft, they are still within the plane's country of jurisdiction
However, pax leaving a country can, within certain circumstances, be 'followed and removed' from an aircraft, before it has taken off, as it's only once the plane doors have been shut, and the plane starting to taxi, that it's considered its own jurisdiction (again, not so easy to explain, and it gets complicated).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.