Wiki Posts
Search

SAA and the World Cup

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K
SAA and the World Cup

do you think SAA will try and lease more planes for the world cup? there definitely aren't as many flights to SA then there were to germany last year. i can see plane ticket prices be insanely high, just because the demand could be greater then the supply.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It wouldn't just be SAA though - I could see BA/LH/LX/VS all adding extra flights to their successful routes.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by o0herbie
It wouldn't just be SAA though - I could see BA/LH/LX/VS all adding extra flights to their successful routes.
agreed...i wonder what SAA will do with their US flights. i plan on taking the IAD-JNB flight, but there aren't many flights to SA from the US.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
EK is actually the official airline for the world cup in South Africa - and they are ramping up their service to Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
Old May 22, 2009, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
EK is actually the official airline for the world cup in South Africa - and they are ramping up their service to Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
EK isn't too practical from the US though.

and i forgot that they were the official airline. i can't wait though...13 more months!
Old May 22, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by haddon90
EK isn't too practical from the US though.

and i forgot that they were the official airline. i can't wait though...13 more months!
Well not sure of the schedules from the States, but I don't think time wise it would be much longer than via Europe where you often need to wait many hours for onwards connections and they should be serving 3 South African destinations by then.

Of course there is also Delta with their ATL - JNB non-stop and JFK/ATL - CPT via Dakar.

It is going to be an interesting few weeks I must admit! I am a shareholder in a tour operator in South Africa and at the moment it is utter chaos, because until the draw no one knows who is playing where, and so logistically it is a nightmare, and needless to say accommodation is at a premium.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Well not sure of the schedules from the States, but I don't think time wise it would be much longer than via Europe where you often need to wait many hours for onwards connections and they should be serving 3 South African destinations by then.

Of course there is also Delta with their ATL - JNB non-stop and JFK/ATL - CPT via Dakar.

It is going to be an interesting few weeks I must admit! I am a shareholder in a tour operator in South Africa and at the moment it is utter chaos, because until the draw no one knows who is playing where, and so logistically it is a nightmare, and needless to say accommodation is at a premium.
I have been checking the flight to South Africa next year for about a week now and the ticket from the West Coast (SFO) is insanely high. The lowest I've found so far is about +$1300 with traveling a week before the festivity (June 2nd) and leaving a week after the Final (July 17). Anything in between those dates, you would have to cough up a lot of $$$.

This is going to be one expensive trip. Got the tickets to the Final though so can't complain.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster

looks like SAA isn't going to sell anything less then full fare Y right now.

and if that's the case, they won't get my business. i found $1,300 JFK-JNB. so i'll probably just do that, unless SAA decided to lower their price from $4,300 in economy.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by haddon90
looks like SAA isn't going to sell anything less then full fare Y right now.

and if that's the case, they won't get my business. i found $1,300 JFK-JNB. so i'll probably just do that, unless SAA decided to lower their price from $4,300 in economy.
They will lower it eventually - the only question is when...

I have got the same predicament the other way round. My family is flying out of SA for the WC2010 but no good rates to be had yet (other than on TK).

One would think there would be ample empty seats going the other way, wouldn't one?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by capetonian
One would think there would be ample empty seats going the other way, wouldn't one?
That assumes sentient beings are in charge of yield management.

I don't blame SA or any airline for wanting to maximise their opportunities with the World Cup. Hell, the airlines have had a tough time of it for years now. But some of the things one sees just don't make sense. I wonder if SA (the airline) is also in hock to FIFA somehow - like holding back inventory until the final draw is announced or some such?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:45 am
Original Poster

yeah, i know they'll lower it eventually. i mean, we are pretty far out from the WC. i assume once the draw is announced in december, things will change.

but i'm tempted to take egypt air, since they're pretty cheap and i'd get UA miles for it. anyone have any experience on their JFK-CAI and CAI-JNB legs?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
They will lower it eventually - the only question is when...

I have got the same predicament the other way round. My family is flying out of SA for the WC2010 but no good rates to be had yet (other than on TK).

Are you sure about that, capetonian?
With the 2010 WC being from 11 June to 11 July, I looked for example at CPT/LHR vv (on the trusted SA 220/221 combination) for out on 6 June and back on 14 July and there is D availability (at R31K) as well as L availability (at R 8160). I am planning to do just that (although not necessary those dates, I selected them fairly randomly for the period just before and just after the tournament). What routes / dates did you look at?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
What routes / dates did you look at?
I looked at CPT-MUC for dates around the school holidays and other than on TK only (very) expensive fare-brackets where available. Admittedly that was a few weeks back and I haven't looked since.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:20 pm

I just had a look at Etihad's prices ex CPT to Europe over this period. If you want to fly back to SA before the 10th of July the system will quote you an economy fare of ca. R 28.000,--, if you fly back on the 11th the price drops to R 3.800,-- (add about R 2.600,-- in taxes and fees to these prices).

edit: for those not familiar with the Rand, divide by 7,7 to get a price in US$.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I looked at CPT-MUC for dates around the school holidays and other than on TK only (very) expensive fare-brackets where available. Admittedly that was a few weeks back and I haven't looked since.
CPT/MUC, out on 10 June (first day of school holidays) and back on 12 July (end of school holidays) is now R 7180 on Etihad and R 8078 on LH (LH ticket, SA metal). Info from ITA. For R22150 you can fly Etihad in C! (all including taxes and surcharges).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.