Wiki Posts
Search

EgyptAir on Board/Lounge service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
EgyptAir on Board/Lounge service

In May I will make a flight AMS CAI BKK in Economy.

I have a Star Alliance Gold card (Senator LH) and my question is:

1) Do they serve red wine at the EgyptAir lounge in Cairo?
2) Do they serve red wine on board in economy?
3) Do they have a lounge in BKK?

Thank you for your anwers.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
1) They do not serve it at the lounge, however you can buy it from the Duty Free Shop.

2) Unfortunately, EgyptAir does not serve Alcohol on board their flights. However I do believe you can purchase some from the duty free in the airport, and bring it on board.

3) I don't think they have their own EgyptAir lounge in BKK, however I would imagine they use a Star Alliance Partner's lounge.

Have a nice flight.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingPharaoh
1) They do not serve it at the lounge, however you can buy it from the Duty Free Shop.

2) Unfortunately, EgyptAir does not serve Alcohol on board their flights. However I do believe you can purchase some from the duty free in the airport, and bring it on board.

3) I don't think they have their own EgyptAir lounge in BKK, however I would imagine they use a Star Alliance Partner's lounge.

Have a nice flight.
I had two minatures confiscated by the security folks when I attempted to bring them into the gate area at the second security point. If you have a big bottle in a sealed duty free bag you can get it through but if you open it on board may get raised eyebrows or complaints from fellow passengers who are offended.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
Tank's for your replies.

So it should be possible to buy at AMS a bottle of wine - in the wellknown sealed bags - and bring it on board again in Cairo (still sealed offcourse) ?

The purpuse is to have a nice glass of wine between Cairo and BKK.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:17 pm

If the situation settles down, I may include a segment from BKK-CAI in first class on Egypt Air.

If you are looking at sharing a bottle of champage for two people, would Egypt Air supply the ice bucket to chill it?

If a bottle of red wine was brought on board instead, would they have a bottle opener, or would you have to find one that did not present a security issue?

How is Egypt Air's first class service?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BF263533
If you are looking at sharing a bottle of champage for two people, would Egypt Air supply the ice bucket to chill it?

If a bottle of red wine was brought on board instead, would they have a bottle opener, or would you have to find one that did not present a security issue?
If alcohol consumption is an important contributor to your inflight experience, then it would be bizarre to include a dry airline in your itinerary.

MS is a dry airline. Not serving alcohol is a product feature. Some passengers will avoid the airline because of this, but for some others it will be a positive aspect of the MS product.

Those who feel comfortable on MS because it is dry will find the behaviour you describe offensive.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingPharaoh

You are, as usual, correct. The Thai lounge is comfortable, though crowded at the departure time of MS. But it's most certainly not at all dry!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Those who feel comfortable on MS because it is dry will find the behaviour you describe offensive.
I strongly agree - it isn't a good idea to try and byob on this airline. You could get some pretty strong reactions that would make the experience unpleasant.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If alcohol consumption is an important contributor to your inflight experience, then it would be bizarre to include a dry airline in your itinerary.

MS is a dry airline. Not serving alcohol is a product feature. Some passengers will avoid the airline because of this, but for some others it will be a positive aspect of the MS product.

That it is what I thought. I was surprised it was suggested here and other places on the internet. It cannot be a comfortable situation. I already have a Thai Airways flight to DXB, I would just keep that, spend a night in DXB, see the city, and then pick up an Emirates or MS flight from DXB to CAI. And after doing some research, the Egypt Air first class seat seemed less attractive than the Thai busniess seat.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
That it is what I thought. I was surprised it was suggested here and other places on the internet. It cannot be a comfortable situation. I already have a Thai Airways flight to DXB, I would just keep that, spend a night in DXB, see the city, and then pick up an Emirates or MS flight from DXB to CAI. And after doing some research, the Egypt Air first class seat seemed less attractive than the Thai busniess seat.
Just be careful you aren't put on an MS codeshare.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by DrPSB
I strongly agree - it isn't a good idea to try and byob on this airline. You could get some pretty strong reactions that would make the experience unpleasant.
I have met Egyptians sharing a bottle of wine in F cabin at least twice last year. They had bought the wine at DFS before departure.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kats
I have met Egyptians sharing a bottle of wine in F cabin at least twice last year. They had bought the wine at DFS before departure.
In many juridictions it is actually against the law (rather than against airline policy) to open your own bottle of booze on board.

Some Egyptians are above the law, however Their behaviour is not necessarily a beacon for us all to follow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.