Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Hotel La Jolla

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Kimpton Hotel La Jolla

I have driven by this hotel many times over the years during frequent trips to the San Diego area. I had always thought it would be a nice place to stay as it is quite close to the village of La Jolla and its relatively higher structure and location would make potential views truly spectacular. Little did I know…

As my wife and I were traveling with our daughter, we had booked a 2-queen room. After a warm welcome as an Inner Circle member of Kimpton, we were given a room on the 10th floor that had the views I had often imagined, only maybe even better. Upon entering the room our eyes were filled with the Inner Circle amenity that was waiting for us on the desk: 3 minis of Bombay Sapphire; a bottle of wine; three bags of M&M's and a small bag of cashews. Wow, amenity jackpot!! Our room was decently sized considering the building itself is some decades old; a recent renovation by Kimpton was quite apparent as the furnishings were all very modern and of high quality. The bathroom was on the small size – darn those old designs – but it too was updated nicely and very functional given the space. We loved that the shower was all glass which looked out to the room (and beyond) but also had an electronic louver that could be lowered to give privacy when desired. The room also had a balcony - with transparent barrier - which was not very deep but it was furnished with two comfortable chairs which just fit and made a perfect place for sipping a glass of our wine while watching the sun slip down over the Pacific ocean.

We visited the restaurant, Cusp, situated on the top floor and enjoyed some light dinner and drinks there one evening. The items we ordered, some flatbreads and a pasta dish, were quite good. Of course the views were again spectacular and the staff outgoing and friendly. In fact, I would say that everyone we came in contact with at the hotel fit that description; from the valet/bellmen to the front desk staff to the wait-staff to housekeeping. Everyone was energetic, courteous and helpful when needed. Whatever Management is doing at the hotel is definitely working. Kudos to them.

We utilized the complimentary shuttle to the village one morning and it was very convenient. Pick up for the return was maybe a 5 minute wait after we called the hotel. We also used the complimentary bikes for a ride down to La Jolla Shores Park and the beach. Parking was $28/nt and was valet only, which is something I don’t appreciate as I usually prefer to park myself. The hotel’s pool area and outdoor patio are nicely arranged if just slightly small, and the always-popular wine hour was especially enjoyable on the patio next to the large fire pit. The décor of the hotel was a very nice version of California beach retro, fitting perfectly in the Kimpton style while serving to remind guests that they are at a coastal destination. This hotel is a true gem in the Kimpton collection.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Sounds like a nice stay. And thanks for the review, I was getting a bit lonely writing Kimpton reviews by myself
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the info. I'll be staying there this month so now looking forward to it all the more.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Sounds like a nice stay. And thanks for the review, I was getting a bit lonely writing Kimpton reviews by myself
Ha, I bet! I've appreciated the info you've been providing even though I don't think my stays have been at any of the hotels you've reviewed. It's still nice having reference points for future visits and the program as a whole. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Kimptonites around here, and I don't always think of that as a bad thing.

I'll try to drop a few more reviews soon on some of the other Kimpton's I've recently been at: Monaco Chicago; Palomar Chicago; Palomar Phoenix; Palomar Los Angeles; Palomar San Diego. Maybe a few of em anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:22 am

Parking fee

You can park on the street just to the north of the hotel...I stayed for 3 nights and always found parking right there...lots of other people seemed to be doing the same thing. It is a very short walk.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Kimpton Hotel La Jolla

Thanks for the reviews. I was able to find a night there to use my IC comp night along with a paid stay next week. I was mildly concerned giving it being an older building but it sounds like I shouldn't worry.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the great Hotel La Jolla review, Windward Side of Life! The General Manager there, Shannon Foster, is indeed one of our best. I realize that we're biased, but we rave to everyone we know about the views at CUSP as well (great Chef there).

Please keep us posted on further feedback. We read every word and use all and any feedback as an opportunity to grow and improve.

Cheers,
Maggie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.