Wiki Posts
Search

Minibar overcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Minibar overcharge

I wanted to ask you guys how you handle hotels that charge you more for the minibar than was consumed.

I was at a hotel in Chicago recently where I had a decent stay. On the last day, I consumed a Pepsi from the minibar which, according to the price list, was $2.50. Upon checkout, I asked that this Pepsi be added to my bill so I can get a receipt with this listed. The person refused and said that they need to check the room themselves and it would be automatically charged. A few days later I get an additional charge for $9.05. I emailed the GM to dispute this and ask for an explanation, and all I got back was an electronic copy of a new receipt with "MINIBAR ITEMS $9.05" on it with no further explanation. I sent another email and it's been a couple weeks with no response. I contacted my CC company telling them that I'd like to dispute the difference. They gave me a credit of the difference and haven't heard back.

Is this what you would have done? Should I have done something differently? Should I expect more problems? Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your credit card company probably just swallowed the $7 and they won't actually open a case with the hotel.

If this was a chain hotel, I'd file a complaint with the chain's guest relations department. If nothing else, it establishes a file about the incident and patterns of bad hotel behavior can therefore be tracked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.