Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels

Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I have been at the Golden Circle Executive level for a couple of years, and frankly I see no benefit to it. I stay at the Makati (Manila) Shang at the Horizon level for approx 40 nights each year. Because my stays always exceed 3 days, it makes no sense to upgrade to a suite as I would have to move after 3 days. Also the Makati is a $75 upgrade and the Horizon rooms are very good and large to begin with.

While I see no value to the Golden Circle, Executive level, I very much enjot the Hotel. The staff and service are excellent. However, if there was a ood Starwood property in the vicinity, it is very likely that I would switch. (No more Starwood in Manila).

I do not expect to reach elite - as 60 nights and three properties are unlikley in a year. The free Internet would be a welcomed benefit as well as Horizon Club access - this way I could stay in a regular room and still use the lounge.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveler18
I have been at the Golden Circle Executive level for a couple of years, and frankly I see no benefit to it. I stay at the Makati (Manila) Shang at the Horizon level for approx 40 nights each year. Because my stays always exceed 3 days, it makes no sense to upgrade to a suite as I would have to move after 3 days. Also the Makati is a $75 upgrade and the Horizon rooms are very good and large to begin with.

While I see no value to the Golden Circle, Executive level, I very much enjot the Hotel. The staff and service are excellent. However, if there was a ood Starwood property in the vicinity, it is very likely that I would switch. (No more Starwood in Manila).

I do not expect to reach elite - as 60 nights and three properties are unlikley in a year. The free Internet would be a welcomed benefit as well as Horizon Club access - this way I could stay in a regular room and still use the lounge.
Hi travler18:

Welcome to FT and to the Golden Circle thread!

Glad to learn that you earned Executive level!

I hope you would take the time to visit the Shangri-la Golden Circle site --- [email protected] ---and forward them a copy of your FT post and ask for their comments.

I hope they would advise you that the Manila Shangri-la and/or Golden Circle staff in Hong Kong might be able to assist you in gaining the Elite level membership award---perhaps they would just require you to stay at another 2 Shangri la properties for one night each. It never "hurts" to ask, in my opinion.

I would also request to meet the Assistant or General Manager of the Manila property and explain your frustration re your 40 stays at his property and yet not achieving Elite status and hence not having access to complementary upgraded rooms.

For me, the most important and essentially only benefit at the Elite level that is of considerable value is the prospect of upgrading to a suite without additional cost for ~3 nights. Of course if your present accommodations in Manila are satisfactory and/or you are not interested in the larger, more luxurious rooms, I tend to agree with you regarding the value issue of your membership.

As you know, should you reach the Elite level, then the suite up-grade is complementary, hence you gain a "value" of about $80/night. Also, please be aware it has been my experience that individual hotels have some flexibility re the 3 night maximum stay requirement. Stated another way, I cannot imagine a hotel not trying to accommodate, within reason, such a frequent guest as yourself.

I hope you choose to persue the Elite level if the benefits are of interest/value to you personally. Of course we all are attacted to various frequent guest programs for dirrerent reasons. For me, the suite issue is the reason I belong to Golden Circle and elect to stay with Shangri-la whenever I get a chance.

Over the past years as a Golden Circle member, I have not been disappointed with the Shangri-la properties, people, or policies that I have encountered. Any issues that I have brought to the attention of Management have always been resolved to my satisfaction. I hope you have had and will continue to have similiar experiences.

By the way, please consider posting the outcome of your follow-up, if any, with Golden Circle and/or the Manila property Management or send me a Private Message.

Good travels
LWW
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:51 am
jhm

This appears to be the unofficial Shangri-La thread ?

I've been booking accommodation for a short RTW holiday/SQ PPS run (17 days; 19 flights; stopovers in ZRH, SIN, SGN, PEK, PVG, KIX, BKK, NRT and YVR) starting next Saturday. I'll be in Singapore at least one night (Mon 14 Aug) and possibly also the previous night if I clear the waitlist for FRA-SIN. I've been to Singapore many times before. I've always stayed with a friend in the past but this is not possible this time so I've booked a night at the Shangri-La and will try to extend it if I arrive in Singapore a day earlier.

I've been to the hotel before for dinner in the Japanese restaurant but otherwise, I'm only going by the good things I've read about it. What is important for me is not the size of the room or the facilities but rather the service - hopefully not getting a feeling of being just another guest amongst the many thousands which pass through each year (which probably explains my preference for SQ) - and I'm happy to pay a bit more for this.

I have a few questions and would be grateful for any advice:

1 Assuming I end up staying for only one night, I will arrive in SIN at 16:25 and my next flight will be at 8:55 the next morning. I've currently booked a room in the Garden Wing and if I had a longer time in Singapore, I would definitely try to change it to the Valley Wing (extra S$200/night) from what I've read on here. However, given my limited time and that I will go out for dinner with a friend (rather than sit there drinking champagne all evening!), do people think it's still worth it ? Or should I stay in a Garden Wing room or try to change it to either a Tower Wing Deluxe (extra S$40/night) or Tower Wing Premiere (extra S$130/night) room ?

2 I'll also be visiting Bangkok for the first time. I currently have a flexible reservation with the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel and see that there's also a Shangri-La in Bangkok for about the same price. I realise that people reading in this thread are going to be a bit bias but if you have stayed in either, do you think the Shangri-La is better ? From what I read, the Sheraton seems to have the edge but I'd be interested if anyone thinks otherwise.

3 Similarly, I also note that there are Shangri-La hotels in Beijing, Shanghai and Vancouver, all of which I'll be passing through, but I'm currently intending to stay in, respectively, the Sino-Swiss Hotel (very near the airport given my late arrival in PEK and early departure), the Westin (the Shangri-La is in Pudong which I understand is fine if you have business there but best avoided if you don't given traffic congestion in Shanghai) and the Opus Hotel (3 nights in this boutique hotel in a hip and happening part of Vancouver as recommended to me!). Perhaps I'll try a Shangri-La next time if I'm bowled over by my experience this time! However, if anyone has any strong views, I'd be happy to read them.

4 Finally, as I understand it, I can only be invited to join the Golden Circle programme if I stay more than once in THAT particular hotel, i.e. I can't stay in Singapore once and then use a stay in Bangkok to be invited to join. Is this correct ? As I'm solely a leisure traveller, I don't think I'll ever reach a higher tier but nevertheless, it seems that even with classic membership, there are a few benefits which may be worthwhile.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by jhm; Aug 4, 2006 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
This appears to be the unofficial Shangri-La thread ?

I've been booking accommodation for a short RTW holiday/SQ PPS run (17 days; 19 flights; stopovers in ZRH, SIN, SGN, PEK, PVG, KIX, BKK, NRT and YVR) starting next Saturday. I'll be in Singapore at least one night (Mon 14 Aug) and possibly also the previous night if I clear the waitlist for FRA-SIN. I've been to Singapore many times before. I've always stayed with a friend in the past but this is not possible this time so I've booked a night at the Shangri-La and will try to extend it if I arrive in Singapore a day earlier.

I've been to the hotel before for dinner in the Japanese restaurant but otherwise, I'm only going by the good things I've read about it. What is important for me is not the size of the room or the facilities but rather the service - hopefully not getting a feeling of being just another guest amongst the many thousands which pass through each year (which probably explains my preference for SQ) - and I'm happy to pay a bit more for this.

I have a few questions and would be grateful for any advice:

1 Assuming I end up staying for only one night, I will arrive in SIN at 16:25 and my next flight will be at 8:55 the next morning. I've currently booked a room in the Garden Wing and if I had a longer time in Singapore, I would definitely try to change it to the Valley Wing (extra S$200/night) from what I've read on here. However, given my limited time and that I will go out for dinner with a friend (rather than sit there drinking champagne all evening!), do people think it's still worth it ? Or should I stay in a Garden Wing room or try to change it to either a Tower Wing Deluxe (extra S$40/night) or Tower Wing Premiere (extra S$130/night) room ?

2 I'll also be visiting Bangkok for the first time. I currently have a flexible reservation with the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel and see that there's also a Shangri-La in Bangkok for about the same price. I realise that people reading in this thread are going to be a bit bias but if you have stayed in either, do you think the Shangri-La is better ? From what I read, the Sheraton seems to have the edge but I'd be interested if anyone thinks otherwise.

3 Similarly, I also note that there are Shangri-La hotels in Beijing, Shanghai and Vancouver, all of which I'll be passing through, but I'm currently intending to stay in, respectively, the Sino-Swiss Hotel (very near the airport given my late arrival in PEK and early departure), the Westin (the Shangri-La is in Pudong which I understand is fine if you have business there but best avoided if you don't given traffic congestion in Shanghai) and the Opus Hotel (3 nights in this boutique hotel in a hip and happening part of Vancouver as recommended to me!). Perhaps I'll try a Shangri-La next time if I'm bowled over by my experience this time! However, if anyone has any strong views, I'd be happy to read them.

4 Finally, as I understand it, I can only be invited to join the Golden Circle programme if I stay more than once in THAT particular hotel, i.e. I can't stay in Singapore once and then use a stay in Bangkok to be invited to join. Is this correct ? As I'm solely a leisure traveller, I don't think I'll ever reach a higher tier but nevertheless, it seems that even with classic membership, there are a few benefits which may be worthwhile.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:08 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
Thanks for the advice ... I think!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
Thanks for the advice ... I think!
Sorry my computer malfunctioned. Here is the response.

Hi jhm:

First, I am jealous of your trip! Wow, you have selected some of my favorite destinations and of course, perhaps the preimere airline in the world (at least as for as service is conserned) to get you to those cities. I am certain you will have a wonderful holiday.

Let me first address the issue of the Shangri-la in Singapore. I have stayed in all three sections of that facility over the past few years and I have never been disappointed. As a general statement, please allow me to say that relative to many other well known, global players in the business, I prefer Shangri-al whenever I find one of their properties.

For reference, I hope you refer to post 18 in this thread to give you my general impressions of the lovely, wonderful, friendly, and quite sophisticated Shangri-la Singapore. And you are correct, I am biased because I have investigated and made my chioce in this particular case...I cannot concieve of how I could be more satisifed with a Singapore hotel than with the Shangri-la in general and the Valley Wing in particular.

jhn, remember the Heads of State can afford to stay anywhere in Singapore. Why are they (US Sec of State, US Sec of Defense, US President (both the two Bushes and Clinton, The King of Jordan, Koffey Annon, etc., etc.) guests of the Valley Wing whenever they are in Singapore? (Well, for one thing, I personally know that at least some of the butlers in the Valley Wing have extensive clearences from the security teams of the various countries.) In response to the question I poised, I do not believe that they would repeatedly stay there if the level of service, the ambivance, etc. was unsatisfactory.

This is not to suggest that you will have a private, security-cleared bulter on duty for your exclusive use 24/7 but I can tell you that each Valley Wing bulter I have met has been exceptionally good.

Is the Valley Wing experience worth the difference in cost, especially if you are planning to use the facilities for a short time? Great question! I can only report my habits and you must make the decision.

If I am only planning to be overnight, especially if just arriving from a long flight late at night with an early check-out because of a business meeting, etc. I personally say no. I would (and frequently have) stayed in the Tower Wing but since I prefer larger rooms even for a brief visit I select a Tower Superior or whatever they call it. (Note: On the Shangri-la web page they will list available rooms and the square meter size. I like the ~70 s.m. rather than the smaller (~50 s. m.) even for a brief visit.) Also, I like the higher levels...but of course the size of the room and the location may be of no interest to you.

What I can tell you is that the level of personal attention for a non-Golden Circle member at the Valley Wing vs the Tower Wing is likely similiar to the difference in service, amenities, etc. that you would receive/expect on First Class vs Business Class airline flights. I can assure you that in the Valley Wing, you will be treated you with the upmost respect and extended every courtesy...All of the employees will make their best effort to ensure your stay is so pleasant and memorable that you would only elect to return to "their" hotel-within-a-hotel.

If you have the time, may I suggest you spend the first night in the Tower and then the second night in the Valley Wing?

By the way, I am sorry to say I do not know the present procedures for being invited to join the Golden Circle Club. I simply know that as a business person myself, if you expressed a desire to join, I would do everything I could to accommodate your request, period. My guess is that everyone has rules but one can usually assist a potential continuing and perhaps expanding customer. Stated another way, I would be disappointed if the Valley Wing could not help you and suprised if the Tower Wing could not assist you in some way.

Finally, remember that the registration locations of the two wings that I have been reporting on are quite different in appearence and location although the "wings" themselves are joined by a rather long walkway and hence are essentially contigitous. The main entrance is for registration for the Garden and Tower wings, while the much more private, sit-down registration at the Valley Wing is located in a different, rather obscure section of the hotel, ie, a private entrance, which, to access it, you should mention to the taxi driver that you are staying in the Valley Wing and he will drop you at a different, special entrance.

Sorry, I must go for now. I will try to respond to your other questions later and I hope you will get additional views from other FT memebers re your post.
By the way, my family and I will be in the Valley Wing lobby from about 5:30 PM to about 7PM on August 14. If you have time at check-in we would be delighted to say hello. If you send me a Private Message, I will share details.

Have a great trip.

747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Aug 4, 2006 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:55 pm
jhm

747LWW,

Thank you very much for such a detailed response!

OK - you've sold it to me (although I don't think I needed much convincing in the first place!). From your comments in post 18 of this thread, it seems that staying in the Garden Wing won't really do justice to the hotel - particularly the exceptional service and personal attention.

The Tower Wing room which is 72 s.m. is the Tower Wing Premier room but that's not much less than a Valley Wing room (which is a bit smaller at 57 s.m.). So I've just changed my reservation to a Valley Wing room with a city view (which I assume means it'll be higher up than a pool view room) for Monday night and will wait to see whether this waitlist clears so that I can arrive in Singapore a day earlier.

Once I've stayed and if I really like it very much, I guess I can always change then my reservations in Bangkok etc (assuming availability). Not joining the Golden Circle Club until my next Singapore stay won't be a problem as I go to Singapore at least once a year anyway - the next time may be SIN Run 2007) but if (e.g.) I do change to stay at the Shangri-La in Bangkok, I will certainly ask to see whether it's possible to join then based on my Singapore stay.

It would be a pleasure to meet you and your family in the Valley Wing lobby for a drink. I should arrive at Changi on Monday at 4:25pm so I reckon I should have checked-in etc sometime between 6-7pm. I will PM you my contact details.

I'm not a regular guest at luxury hotels (although I have stayed in some such as this Scottish castle which was amazing) nor for that matter premium air travel (prior to joining FT earlier this year anyway!) so my trip should be fun. Most of the flights are SQ J but I do have one SQ F (NRT-LAX). After what I've now read about the Shangri-La, it sounds like it may be the hotel highlight of my trip (so I hope very much that the waitlist clears so I can stay another night and of course have some more time to catch up on Singapore food!) and I'm looking forward to what sounds like will be a great experience!

Thanks again and best regards
jhm
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:05 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by jhm
3 Similarly, I also note that there are Shangri-La hotels in Beijing, Shanghai and Vancouver, all of which I'll be passing through
Oops! I just read that the Shangri-La Vancouer is not open yet - 2008.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
Oops! I just read that the Shangri-La Vancouer is not open yet - 2008.
That is my understanding and I am disappointed also as we will be visiting Vancouver next year ...note also that the London Tower Bridge facility opens the following year.
747LWW
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm

Many thanks in advance!
As I stated in my previous post, I question if this "regulation" is rigidly enforced. For example I found a quote from an unidentified guest reporting on a stay at another Shangri-la: "When I checked in for my first visit, the staff pointed out that I could save money if I belonged to the Golden Circle so I joined immediately." Of course, take this report for what it is worth as it comes from an unnamed source.

I agree that the Golden circle membership has value at all levels and hence, since the membership is complementary, why not join? By the way, if you travel at all, you will soon reach the 20 night level for the Executive level credentials. Oh yes, as I understand the program, you must requalify each year, but that likely will not be a problem for you, right?

See you in SIN ---
747LWW
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:18 am
jhm

Originally Posted by 747LWW
As I stated in my previous post, I question if this "regulation" is rigidly enforced. For example I found a quote from an unidentified guest reporting on a stay at another Shangri-la: "When I checked in for my first visit, the staff pointed out that I could save money if I belonged to the Golden Circle so I joined immediately." Of course, take this report for what it is worth as it comes from an unnamed source.
I e-mailed GC and they replied very promptly as follows:

We thank you for your interest in Golden Circle membership. Please be informed that Golden Circle membership is only available through our hotels and is by invitation only. When your stay at any Shangri-La hotel or resort is at qualifying rate of Corporate rate or above and has one previous stay at THAT hotel, you will be invited to join Golden Circle upon check-in. And membership benefits will be extended to you during the same stay upon return of the duly completed "enrollment invitation" form at check-in.

Please be informed that apart from meeting the qualifying criteria for enrollment as previously mentioned, hotels will also review case by case. You can request to be enrolled to Golden Circle Programme after check-in and inform the front office staff of your stays at other Shangri-La Hotels. Once being accepted, a temporary membership card will be presented to you, and you can start to enjoy member benefits from your next stay with us.
So the answer is to ask after check-in which I will try.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Status Match ???

Hello, I have to admit that I'm not a regular Shangri-La/Traders hotel guest, a simple Classic GCC member.

In malaysia, I normally stay at the Hilton KL or Westin KL, as I'm an SPG Platinum & HH Diamond. There's a brand new Traders KL Hotel opened recently which I would like to try out. I was wondering if Golden Circle Club would do a status match with the other hotels. So far, I've already clocked more than 60nights in Westin KL.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meremale
Hello, I have to admit that I'm not a regular Shangri-La/Traders hotel guest, a simple Classic GCC member.

In malaysia, I normally stay at the Hilton KL or Westin KL, as I'm an SPG Platinum & HH Diamond. There's a brand new Traders KL Hotel opened recently which I would like to try out. I was wondering if Golden Circle Club would do a status match with the other hotels. So far, I've already clocked more than 60nights in Westin KL.
Hi mememale:

Well, being a "simple Classic" member is were we all start so welcome!

I happened to notice your post last week but was in the Far East and simply did not have an opportunity to respond. Sorry for the delay...arrived IAH (Houston, TX, USA) last night...sans luggage so not yet fully "home".

At any rate, I hope some of the other folks that post on this board may know the answer to your excellent question. My personal conclusion is that Golden Circle would welcome a frequent traveler like yourself and if they do not have a "match" program, I would recommend they create one (which would take too long to be of significant benefit to you) or make an accommendation in your case, ie, treat such matters on a case-by-case basis. Stated another way, such moves would seem to be to be in their commercial interest and hence why should they not assist you? Let us try to under their policy re this matter.

Please keep us advised in the event Golden Circle contacts you directly!

Happy travels

747LWW
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:22 pm
jhm

I'm writing this from the Shangri-La in Shanghai. I was offered at check-in today the option of a paid upgrade to an Executive Suite (which would normally cost double of what I would be paying together with the upgrade amount). As well as the room upgrade "to a nicer room", I would also get Horizon Club access (the usual free breakfast, afternoon tea etc), free in-room broadband Intenet and late checkout up to 6pm. It sounded like a good deal so I accepted.

However, what I didn't realise was that a "nicer" room actually referred to a suite (a bedroom, living room, guest toilet and bathroom/toilet; butler service; and the usual plasma TVs and other amenities in the various rooms) on the 30th floor of the new tower 2 with what is simply an amazing and gobsmacking view over the Bund and the Huangpu River and directly opposite the Oriental Pearl Tower. The living room has floor to ceiling high windows on two sides and the hotel thoughtfully provides a pair of binoculars together with a guide to what you can see on the skylne. The bedroom has a window with a view in another direction and so does the bathroom (with the bathtub positioned right next to the floor to ceiling window - one way I was assured! - so that you can watch TV or look at the view depending on which way you're looking).

The hotel also seems to go beyond the usual Golden Circle benefits, e.g. as well as the free broadband and late checkout mentioned above, a selection of chocolates were delivered with my fruit basket.

The only caveat to all of this is the hotel's location east of the Huangpu River in the business district of Pudong rather than west where most of the tourist areas are. If you're okay with that (which I am given I've been to Shanghai before and in any event, am happy using taxis and public transport), then I don't think anyone would be disappointed if offered an upgrade to an Executive Suite in tower 2. The hotel specifically mentioned that this was due to being a member of Golden Circle (thank you 747LWW for encouraging me to join earlier this week! ) and it is listed as a benefit for classic members. It's certainly a very powerful incentive to encourage me to continue to stay at the Shangri-La for any future trips to Shanghai and to ensure my loyalty to Shangri-La by building up status with Golden Circle.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
I'm writing this from the Shangri-La in Shanghai. I was offered at check-in today the option of a paid upgrade to an Executive Suite (which would normally cost double of what I would be paying together with the upgrade amount). As well as the room upgrade "to a nicer room", I would also get Horizon Club access (the usual free breakfast, afternoon tea etc), free in-room broadband Intenet and late checkout up to 6pm. It sounded like a good deal so I accepted.

However, what I didn't realise was that a "nicer" room actually referred to a suite (a bedroom, living room, guest toilet and bathroom/toilet; butler service; and the usual plasma TVs and other amenities in the various rooms) on the 30th floor of the new tower 2 with what is simply an amazing and gobsmacking view over the Bund and the Huangpu River and directly opposite the Oriental Pearl Tower. The living room has floor to ceiling high windows on two sides and the hotel thoughtfully provides a pair of binoculars together with a guide to what you can see on the skylne. The bedroom has a window with a view in another direction and so does the bathroom (with the bathtub positioned right next to the floor to ceiling window - one way I was assured! - so that you can watch TV or look at the view depending on which way you're looking).

The hotel also seems to go beyond the usual Golden Circle benefits, e.g. as well as the free broadband and late checkout mentioned above, a selection of chocolates were delivered with my fruit basket.

The only caveat to all of this is the hotel's location east of the Huangpu River in the business district of Pudong rather than west where most of the tourist areas are. If you're okay with that (which I am given I've been to Shanghai before and in any event, am happy using taxis and public transport), then I don't think anyone would be disappointed if offered an upgrade to an Executive Suite in tower 2. The hotel specifically mentioned that this was due to being a member of Golden Circle (thank you 747LWW for encouraging me to join earlier this week! ) and it is listed as a benefit for classic members. It's certainly a very powerful incentive to encourage me to continue to stay at the Shangri-La for any future trips to Shanghai and to ensure my loyalty to Shangri-La by building up status with Golden Circle.
jhm:

First, what a great description of the hotel and your observations thereof. I am confident that other readers of this thread will be quite interested in your experience!

Second, I am delighted you received such wonderful treatment! My congratulations to the Management and Staff of the Shangri-la Shanghai for impressing you as I know you are quite widely "traveled", stay in a variety of quality hotels, and are a very discerning guest.

Basis your report, I now look even more forward to visiting the Shangri-la Shanghai later this year.

Best regards and continued happy travels,

747LWW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.