Kimpton Hotels in Washington DC - At Which One Should I Stay?

Old May 12, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Kimpton Hotels in Washington DC - At Which One Should I Stay?

Any recommendation on which Kimpton to stay at in DC? We are IC.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2017, 3:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
You'll need to be more specific, please.

What are you looking for in a hotel? What features are paramount (IC upgrades, location, proximity to mass transit, proximity to attractions, etc.). Without those details, there's not much we can do.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
You'll need to be more specific, please.

What are you looking for in a hotel? What features are paramount (IC upgrades, location, proximity to mass transit, proximity to attractions, etc.). Without those details, there's not much we can do.
Off course, sorry.

We like to stay where we can walk to restaurants. We are staying with children. Love upgrades

I really have no idea - have never been to DC before
Old May 12, 2017, 4:16 am

The Kimpton website doesn't do a good job of showing properties within a city; here's a crude Google Map.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/k...0487571,14.31z

I think the Monaco has the best location; it's very close to the National Mall and many points of interest (the Spy Museum is a block away and could be interesting to your children). The Palomar is one of the better Kimptons near Dupont Circle and a short walk to the Metro.

We're actually checking into the Donovan this evening. Logan Circle and 14th Street is one of the more trendy/hipster parts of town, I'm told. I like the fact that I can take a single Metro train to/from DCA and a bus, if needed, down 14th St to the Mall. The concierge said that the Destination Fee that is common to the DC hotels is waived for IC members and that they would offer complimentary Uber service between 7 to 9 am within a three mile radius,
Old May 12, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks. And have a nice night at Donovan
Old May 13, 2017, 11:47 am

How old are your kids? Glover Park is 2 blocks away from a great park for kids and close-ish to the zoo. However, there are very few "special" rooms at this property so upgrades are hardly possible. The Mason and Rook has a pool and is a quick uber from the mall, it is on "ambassador's row" so there are lots of flags to walk around and look at. The Rouge has bunk bed suites. I liked the Mason and Rook best out of the 3.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The ones I've stayed at so far, in rank order:

- Palomar. Best mix of location and room/upgrade quality
- Donovan: Great IC upgrade suite, but less family friendly room layout or location
- Glover Park: No Metro access or upgrades. But convenient for a family because of the Whole Foods.

** big jump down to **

- Topaz: Really friendly staff, really small rooms, but close to DuPont Circle
- Carlyle: Didn't like it at all. Tiny room (no upgrade), a walk to anything. Avoid.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers. Our kid is 9. We decided to sample the hotels, so we are trying out: Donovan, George, Mason and rook, and Monaco. Since we travel too rearly to the states it is a good way to try to keep our IC as well...
Old May 14, 2017, 5:14 pm

Donovan: Nice property, about three blocks from the McPherson Square Metro Station on the Blue Line to DCA. #52 bus runs up and down 14th Street to the National Mall about a mile away. Rooftop deck and pool. Good IC upgrades and recognition.

George: Near Union Station and convenient to the trolley tours that originate from there (I did one the first time I went to DC and found it very helpful in learning the area and sights). Not a lot to do in the immediate area otherwise.

Mason and Rook: Smaller property about four blocks up 14th Street from the Donovan. The area of 14th St near Mason and Rook is full of foodie places. The kids will probably like the Shake Shack. I also saw a Trader Joe's grocery nearby.

Monaco: Closest to the Capital, National Mall, Verizon Center and many of the downtown restaurants. Also reasonably close to Chinatown.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you @FlyinHawaiian

I used google maps and thought the locations looked good. The George looked like being close to the park.

We are used to walk to I think it will be ok.

Just on the sideline - is DC a city that it is ok to walk in, or do you need a car to drive everywhere?
Old May 15, 2017, 5:47 pm

You are welcome. The general area you are staying in is relatively flat; there are some hills in the areas around Georgetown and the National Cathedral (hence, my earlier suggestion to use the hop-on/off trolley tour). We used a combination of walking, buses/metro (subway), and Uber to get around this past weekend. Taxis are also plentiful. I never rent a car when I am visiting DC.

The Mid-Atlantic Forum is a good place to find general information for first-time visitors:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/
Old May 16, 2017, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you again. Ill check out that forum. I remember when we visited the US for the first time we visited Florida and some of the southern states, you could not go anywhere - this is why we tend to visit California. But as the sound of it DC is also a nice city to walk.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Depends what you want to do in DC. I love the Monaco. Beautiful reno. Opposite metro station and line that connects to airport. I walk everywhere. Excellent restaurants in the vicinity. A very happening area. Staff are great.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks Bartolo. Only a few days left now. We decided to book a rental car just to make the travel to and from Dulles easier (traveling for Europe), but i guess we will not use it much during our stay.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Anita12
Thanks Bartolo. Only a few days left now. We decided to book a rental car just to make the travel to and from Dulles easier (traveling for Europe), but i guess we will not use it much during our stay.
Parking is valet and expensive. Car is a distinct disadvantage. The only other Kimpton I've stayed at in DC is the Rouge. It doesn't compare to the Monaco. I believe the latter is their highest rated property in DC. Soundproofing was an issue at Rouge. If you choose the Monaco, I can tell you what room/floor to request. There are big differences.

I was thinking more about your post. All the Smithsonian museums are a 10-20 min walk away. Think you said you have a 9 year old. Air & Space is excellent. 15 min walk. A young person would also probably like Natural History and American History (15 min the other way). White House and The Capitol are each about a 20 min away, in different directions.

For a 9 yr old the Spy Museum is virtually next door to the Monaco. A must for big and little people. Fascinating.

I seem to recall the National Gallery has a children's tour and free jazz concerts in the garden on Fridays. Newseum is 5 min walk from The Monaco, as is the Archives. All child appropriate and fascinating. American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery are across the road from the Monaco. Zoo is a short Metro ride.

This is just a short list of possibilities, to give you an idea. Lots of security everywhere and you will have to queue so time-wise that should be taken into account.

If you are interested in the new African American museum and don't have tx, possible to get them at 6:30 am daily but you need to be quick. They go in 5 min. Very worth it but exhausting emotionally and physically.

If you need restaurant suggestions, pm me. Have a wonderful trip! As you can likely tell, I love DC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.