Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton stealth devaluations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Thumbs down Kimpton stealth devaluations?

Longtime lurker and Kimpton IC member here. I've voiced my frustrations on a few Inner Circle issues a number of times to folks at HQ, but I'm wondering what the FT opinions are on two things that I have noticed over the last 6-8 months: 1) the sudden difficulty in redeeming free night rewards; 2) the devaluation of the welcome amenity.

Has anyone noticed a dramatic drop in availability for award night redemptions? Over the last few months, I have been stymied in all attempts to book weekend redemptions, with only mid-week off-peak redemptions available. My first sense of this was when Canary Hotel's complimentary new hotel redemption was blacked out for months and months at a time, save for a Tuesday night here and there (I did never cash in on that night). When trying to book a reward night at Canary, the situation was exactly the same. No availability. Then, there was the new Amara Resort, which was only listed as a complimentary night for six months (in the winter when temps are low and none of the pools were open).

More recently, I have been unable to find availability at a number of properties--last minute or three months out, I still get nothing. Given that there is no way to check for availability online, this has led to enormous frustration on my end.

In talking to a number of folks at the individual hotels and elsewhere, the common refrain is that the increase in the number of InTouch members has led to a corresponding increase in redemptions. But, because there is a limit (which no one seems to know exactly) on how many of a hotel's rooms can be redeemed on rewards, it has become exceedingly difficult to actually use the free nights that we've earned.

Kimpton's T&Cs allow them latitude to do refuse availability in a totally opaque fashion; the T&Cs are vague to the point of meaninglessness. While they claim to offer no blackout dates, this is a farce when availability is so low, and there are now so many members seeking redemptions. I joked to a friend that Kimpton free nights were fast becoming the SkyPesos of the hotel world, to which he responded, "at least Delta is transparent about their lack of availability online." There is an argument to be made that Kimpton's current free nights redeeming structure is too generous, and I would not disagree with that. However, I would also argue that being loyal to Kimpton comes with significant costs (in terms of: a) generally higher room rates; b) lack of free breakfast; c) limited availability of hotels; d) lack of aspirational redemptions), and that there is a need for the chain to offer a program that is simple and lucrative enough to lure business away from other properties. It is hard to justify staying at a Kimpton hotel at a +$50 or +$75/night rate that is 1mi away from a conference when the loyalty benefits and service are either barely equal to or inferior to SPG/Hyatt/etc.

The second thing that I have noticed in practice is the implementation of the official devaluation of the welcome amenity. The amenity was a big reason for chasing IC, as the personalization and selection was a big bonus over Hyatt's more standardized options (which are delivered perfectly 99% of the time). Late last year, there was a change to the terms to more clearly emphasize: "two of your favorite snacks or drinks delivered upon your arrival." This is a radical shift. Before, you could expect at least one item from each of the three categories to be delivered. In recent stays, I have received only one item plus waters--and it is often delivered very late and is not what I asked for (in one case, it was specifically what I said I did not want). The Raid the Bar does partially make up for this, but I think the net is negative.

Overall, I think it's great that Kimpton has expanded the number of hotels on offer, and I still think they have a great set of properties. I am wholly unconvinced that there is an institutional focus on loyalty/business travel. In fact, I see movement to chip away at the few comparative advantages that the program had vs. the 'big boys.' I think it is entirely possible that my business is not valued/wanted by Kimpton, and in that case, I look forward to moving the remaining sliver of my business elsewhere. While, there have long been rumblings of major changes in the program, I have heard nothing concrete. I'm managing my expectations...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
My understanding was that IC reward nights used to be redeemable for any hotel, any night, as long as a room was available for sale (barring huge things like World Series, Super Bowl, etc). In fact, a year or so ago I was unable to use a non-IC reward night (that I earned before becoming IC) but was able to use an IC reward night for the same night.

It seems that they've stealthily put capacity controls on IC rewards too, without telling anyone.

Would love to get a straight answer out of Kimpton on this...

(I've also noticed a lot less beer and a lot more bottled water as the amenity. Which is ridiculous, because I do not use or want bottled water. The US is blessed with clean and safe running water; we should drink it!)

When combined with the minibar issues (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...bar-items.html), and Kimpton's generally slow and unreliable wifi compared to other hotels targeting business travelers, I'm very much reconsidering my loyalty.

Last edited by SJC AA; Jun 5, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Two years of IC and dwindling downstream during 2014. It was fun, but its time to move on. I think they met their objectives filling the IC ranks and it is logical to expect changes.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by woodyDCA
The second thing that I have noticed in practice is the implementation of the official devaluation of the welcome amenity. The amenity was a big reason for chasing IC, as the personalization and selection was a big bonus over Hyatt's more standardized options (which are delivered perfectly 99% of the time). Late last year, there was a change to the terms to more clearly emphasize: "two of your favorite snacks or drinks delivered upon your arrival." This is a radical shift. Before, you could expect at least one item from each of the three categories to be delivered. In recent stays, I have received only one item plus waters--and it is often delivered very late and is not what I asked for (in one case, it was specifically what I said I did not want). The Raid the Bar does partially make up for this, but I think the net is negative.
This is literally the only reason I kept IC for three years. I gave away all my free days to family and friends when they came into town, because I don't want to ever have to play the upgrade game and would rather just always buy the room I want. I remember the first time we stayed at a Kimpton, which was after a status match to IC. It was like walking in to find a bounty of snacks and a bottle of wine, all of which we really wanted to enjoy. Then slowly I learned that some hotels didn't even bother to try, while others at least met most of our requests well. At some hotels they have left us two bottles of water and a small plate of mixed fruit. At the Argonaut they just gave us a fruit plate and a bottle of the wine we drank each night for wine hour. If I wanted more I'd just go downstairs and drink it. Since we regularly get to hotels a bit late, by the time we'd call down at some other hotels they'd say there wasn't much food they could even get us at the time.

I'm surprised you can use the raid the bar. I was specifically told a little over a year ago that ICs could not use this unless they chose it as one of their two or three items. Perhaps the move to two items made the raid the (mini-)bar included for all ICs.

The lack of caring started driving us to only book at the hotels that actually cared about IC members and eventually we just weren't staying enough at Kimptons to make it again. I didn't even meet the 3 stays in 4 months requalifying offer I got.

It's not about the snacks. It's about not meeting expectations the hotel chain itself has set.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:00 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Hi Flyertalkers,

You’re right - booking reward nights in some of our cities has become challenging lately due to a huge increase in demand. Like all other loyalty programs, we have always had a certain amount of reward inventory that we make available each night. This isn’t new even for Inner Circle members. In some of our cities (New York being one) reward nights have already sold out for the rest of the summer, which is why we urge our members to book further out during high demand periods.

The reason that you were able to book more easily in the past was that demand was lesser and the program was smaller. It really is more a matter of explosive growth and high demand than “stealthy capacity controls”. Our membership has more than doubled in recent years, and rest assured; we are close to announcing some exciting changes to address that growth and continue providing you value.

As far as devaluation of the welcome amenity, there has been no edict from our Home Office about cutting costs for this perk. In the years I’ve been with Kimpton, our program has always promised Inner Circle members at least two custom preferences (usually a favorite beverage and snack of choice). Then, time allowing, each hotel has the option to get creative and include any little extras they’re inspired to add. That said it’s clear that we have some training to do. No one should be receiving water in place of their preferred beverage. I know that I personally always look forward to a glass of wine in my room, and some bottled water just isn’t going to cut it after a long day of travel.

So thank you all for your feedback. Praise or complaints, it means a lot to us that you take the time to reach out. We take all feedback to heart and continue to use it to learn and improve.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
Hi Flyertalkers,

You’re right - booking reward nights in some of our cities has become challenging lately due to a huge increase in demand. Like all other loyalty programs, we have always had a certain amount of reward inventory that we make available each night. This isn’t new even for Inner Circle members. In some of our cities (New York being one) reward nights have already sold out for the rest of the summer, which is why we urge our members to book further out during high demand periods.

This is flatly untrue. Almost every single other hotel chain has gone to a system where you can book reward stays on any night when Best Available Rate is being offered. Hyatt began this trend several years ago, and now Hilton/SPG/Marriott do the same. I believe that Fairmont has a similar set-up, as well, although I am less familiar with their program. There are Hilton properties in NYC that are available for reward booking NYE right now!!! Tell me that's the same policy as Kimpton's with a straight face. You can't. Kimpton's program offers availability that is significantly worse than any of those. It's not even close. And, the T&Cs are written in a way that is misleading at best.

As for there not being an edict from central about the IC welcome benefit, your post is either ignorance or it is a lie. You can look at the Internet archives for the Kimpton Inner Circle benefits page and clearly see that while the benefit was once advertised as "at least two personalized welcome amenities." The words "at least" were removed sometime between August 2013 and March 2014. And, me and many other IC members can vouch for the fact that the individuals hotels have taken this policy change to heart--amenities are across the board much stingier today than one year ago. If there was not an order to cut the perk, why were those two words removed from the benefits language?

It doesn't please me to call out Kimpton, but the lies and lack of communication must stop. If there is a massive increase in occupancy levels and room rates that necessitates a devaluation in elite benefits, that's fine. Every other hotel chain has done that. At the same time, most of them have been transparent about their devaluations, announcing them months in advance to allow for bookings under the pre-devaluation system. Here, we have what I'm calling a "stealth devaluation," because the benefits have very clearly been degraded, but there was no communication, no notice, and no attempt to explain the situation publicly.

Like the others here, I had a good run, but I will not make another paid Kimpton booking again unless there are significant changes to the program. Not a happy decision, but the principle necessitates it.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Like all other loyalty programs, we have always had a certain amount of reward inventory that we make available each night.
This is actually not true for hotel programs -- as long as a standard room is available for purchase, Marriott, Starwood, etc let people redeem it as a reward.

No one should be receiving water in place of their preferred beverage. I know that I personally always look forward to a glass of wine in my room, and some bottled water just isn’t going to cut it after a long day of travel.
So, when I do... over and over again... to whom should I address my issue? Kimpton HQ? I feel chintzy complaining to the hotel front desk...

Thanks for engaging with us, at least, even if you didn't exactly have the answer we wanted. (And if I have free nights expiring early this fall, and the summer is already basically sold out, am I just SOL? Does a free night have to be reserved by its expiration date, or actually stayed in by its expiration date? The new change to a 1-year expiration policy certainly doesn't make this any easier.)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear that you feel that way. We have not devalued our elite benefits. Reward availability has never been based on last room availability. A reward night still requires only one reward certificate regardless of where in the country you redeem (as opposed to more complicated redemption schemas with other programs), and if the limited inventory frustrates you, we understand and respect your opinion. Booking further ahead will definitely ensure more availability. We appreciate the feedback, and should you choose to stay elsewhere, we are sorry to see you go, but we understand and wish you the very best.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:45 pm

SJC AA, we sent you a private message. Let’s see what we can do to help out.
Thanks,
Susan
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I don't need a PM, I would just like the answer. Who should we contact?

As some have noted here and elsewhere, certain (many?) Kimpton hotels drop the ball on the amenity. When I ask for gummy bears and caramel corn, don't bring me two pieces of cheese and some jam. I don't want it and it is wasteful. I also don't want the same wine (swill in many places - my apologies for this comment but the wine quality at the 5PM happy hour has dropped precipitously over the last year) served at happy hour. I will note that I have had stays where the staff has gone above and beyond for my amenity but that doesn't excuse the poorly performing (amenity wise) other Kimptons. I will also note that it is rare to not receive great service at a Kimpton (few exceptions).

Lastly, while I don't doubt whatever award space that was available in NYC is gone, it's hard to believe that the entire summer is booked. .

Edit: A bit OT but a mechanism - something - to address the charges for unused mini bar items would be useful too. Maybe a common "whatever" via Kimpton "corporate" to address all these types of issues??? I don't believe emailing the CEO is the way to go here.

Cheers

Originally Posted by SJC AA
So, when I do... over and over again... to whom should I address my issue? Kimpton HQ? I feel chintzy complaining to the hotel front desk...
No one should be receiving water in place of their preferred beverage. I know that I personally always look forward to a glass of wine in my room, and some bottled water just isn’t going to cut it after a long day of travel.
SJC AA, we sent you a private message. Let’s see what we can do to help out.
Thanks,
Susan

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 6, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I would still like an answer to why the words "at least" were dropped from the IC elite benefits page, if--in fact--there was no devaluation, as is being said by Kimpton. At some point in time, somebody made the conscious decision to eliminate those two words. They didn't simply disappear into a black hole. This isn't my opinion. This is a fact that can be observed by looking back at the history of the benefits language. By claiming that there is no devaluation, an argument is being made that the written T&Cs don't matter.

At this point, I feel like it's a losing battle to try to get an answer, since the message seems to be (over and over and over again) that there has been no devaluation.

The reality on the ground is far different than the message being presented by corporate, and that's what makes me most upset. I hate being treated like an idiot, and that's exactly how I feel with the communication that I get from Kimpton HQ. I find it impossible to trust a corporate entity, but I do believe that most individuals are inherently good. In this situation, I don't know if I'm being lied to or intentionally misled. I think there is a very real possibility that the problem lies with individual properties not living up to the expectations of the central office. In this case, maybe there has not been a wide devaluation, but simply many hotels individually (or in small groups) deciding to renege on benefits that the chain believes members are entitled to.

The benefits are worse now than before. I know this, because I did many stays prior to fall 2013, and I have done a number since. It is entirely possible that there is an availability heuristic at play, but other members seem to corroborate my recent experiences. Is that the result of a central decision? Have the individual properties been unable to keep up with the growing number of IC members? Is this a major fluke that I'm experiencing?

But more importantly for the folks on this board: what--if anything--is being done? The message that I hear is that the status quo will continue. Rewards will become increasingly difficult to redeem, but the overall earning structure will remain unchanged. I also hear an unwillingness to accept that there is a pervasive problem with overbilling on minibar and dining charges. This has been documented on the forums and is not new. It is the case at an alarming number of properties across the portfolio. Finally, I am hearing that if I don't like this, I should take my business elsewhere. That kind of language saddens me, as a person who has used my (limited) authority and experience on hotel programs to recommend Kimpton to a whole host of people.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:11 am

The reason that you were able to book more easily in the past was that demand was lesser and the program was smaller. It really is more a matter of explosive growth and high demand than “stealthy capacity controls”. Our membership has more than doubled in recent years, and rest assured; we are close to announcing some exciting changes to address that growth and continue providing you value.
We sincerely appreciate your response KimptonInTouch.

However, it is incredibly frustrating to have several reward nights expiring and not have the ability to use any of them because all of the hotels in the cities that I will be visiting have no reward availability.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
(And if I have free nights expiring early this fall, and the summer is already basically sold out, am I just SOL? Does a free night have to be reserved by its expiration date, or actually stayed in by its expiration date? The new change to a 1-year expiration policy certainly doesn't make this any easier.)
Ditto. esp. with the 1-year expiration change.

Last edited by sockrebel; Jun 8, 2014 at 12:17 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:08 am

Kimpton stealth devaluations?

I was always so excited to stay at Kimptons when I first matched to Inner Circle. The upgrades, amenities and service was great and helped me justify the $50+ more I was spending to stay there than another hotel. In the past sixth months I have had so many sub-par Kimpton experiences that I have opted to look elsewhere many times.

Side note, tried to redeem a free night for two different cities and was unable to do so in one until October, September in the other.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
KimptonIntouch I really hope you address the concerns of this forum quickly. I have also seen a decline in benefits and service. I have about a dozen stays booked for the rest of this year, and will probably cancel most of them as the program is just not what it used to be. The price premium cannot be justified.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
1) I can't speak to the OP's "sudden difficulty" in reward redemption since I haven't tried using any certificates for booking stays this summer (...doesn't sound like it is going to go smoothly.)

2) As for the devaluation of the IC welcome amenity I haven't experienced any changes for 2014 which sounds quite different from the other members posting on this thread. All good here except for when I book a stay for same day arrival. Then I get a random generic offering which I can sort of understand. I think it is important to note that the majority of my stays are in the West.

Anyone care to name properties/regions where they are getting subpar love on the amenity? Maybe we can find a commonality.

3) Regarding Kimpton being "stealth", I haven't been pleased with how InTouch handles and communicates program changes that fall under the devalue category. Subtle and unannounced rewording of benefits and T&C changes do not foster loyalty. I referred a colleague to InTouch recently and to give them the program overview I gave them the green InTouch pamphlet found in most rooms with the tear away temporary membership card inside. One of the ten Inner Circle benefits is the "Year end bonus reward tailored to you." Anyone receive that for 2013 or was that stealthily eliminated as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.