Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Burnham Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Kimpton Burnham Chicago

I was going to Mt. Rushmore but UA decided my flight connecting through DEN was not going to leave on time. What to do? It was my B-day weekend and I needed to travel. Let me call UA and see where I can find saver awards. Chicago it is and in the middle of all that snow to boot. Now the problem is where to stay??? I have a ton on CC points and the Aqua at 50k for 2 nights is great.... but it's my B-day and I know Kimpton can do something great --- and it did on short notice. During my drive from IAD to DCA to catch an ORD flight, I booked the Burnham. Great move on my part (as I pat myself on the back). This hotel in my new favorite

Location: Decent. A few blocks to Lou Malnatti's deep dish pizza and the bus that goes to the Field Museum is across the street. About $50 in a taxi with tip (If I remember correctly) to ORD.

Check in: After what had become a long day, I ran into Jean Luc at the front desk. We chatted a bit, I said "Sugar Plum." We chatted some more. He found out it was my B-day that weekend. He went above and beyond with zero notice.

Room: Nice suite. Real nice. But let me describe the hotel. The webpage description doesn't do this hotel justice. It really is a landmark. The iron work was amazing. The stairwell [open on the floors] and the elevator lobbies were some of the nicest I have seen - again the iron work made it what it is. The lobby was fantastic too. The fireplace was great as I watched the snow fall on the poor souls trudging down the street.

Happy Hour: Better wine than I have been receiving in DC as well as a bourbon drink.

Restaurant: Breakfast was great with service to match. It might have been a tad bit expensive without the sugar plum vouchers but the food was good.

Amenity: Everything plus on zero notice. That was great service. (How can some of the other Kimpton hotels miss on everything with weeks notice?)

Check Out: Almost as good as check in. It was kind of getting into the afternoon and I was on a late check out. I asked to have the bill held open until after I ate breakfast. Done deal. And all with a smile.

Great stay. I don't think I can rave enough about how wonderful this hotel is. Stay there, find out and then come back and thank me

Cheers -
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad you had a good experience there. My experience was nothing special. It's a lovely old building, but the ground floor feels really cramped (the lobby has about three chairs) and the location isn't as good as the Allegro and Monaco.

$2.50 on the blue line to ORD. Hard to justify the expense of a taxi, IMHO.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Very hard to justify except on my B-day

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Glad you had a good experience there. My experience was nothing special. It's a lovely old building, but the ground floor feels really cramped (the lobby has about three chairs) and the location isn't as good as the Allegro and Monaco.

$2.50 on the blue line to ORD. Hard to justify the expense of a taxi, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.