Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Best ultra budget chain with rewards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

To keep my sanity from too many hours spent commuting, I'm going to do a hotel night near my office either once a week or once every two weeks.

I'm paying out of pocket, and would rather not spend $100+ a night. I have no "pride" when it comes to staying in budget hotels, though would rather not stay in the cheapest of cheap "hotels".

What are the best ways to get rewards from doing such a thing? I know hotels.com does a stay free after 10 stays thing (rebate being the average price of all 10 stays).

FT, what secrets do you know?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:44 pm

Great question. Looking forward to the responses. I stayed in a "new" Motel 6 not log ago. LCD tv, modern decor, clean and comfortable.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Both Choice Privileges and Wyndham Rewards have a number of budget motels in their chains. In my experience, Choice is the easier one to earn points in.
Choice includes Rodeway Inn, EconoLodge, Comfort Inn and others.
Wyndham includes Knights Inn, Microtel, Super 8, Days Inn and others.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
Both Choice Privileges and Wyndham Rewards have a number of budget motels in their chains. In my experience, Choice is the easier one to earn points in.
All of these are $100+ in my area, which is ridiculous. I wish they were truly budget.

Days Inn $94+
Super 8 $99 with tax
Comfort Inn $105+

And when I checked their rewards programs, I wouldn't get a free room but after almost 15-20 stays at that rate.

Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kuaa
All of these are $100+ in my area, which is ridiculous. I wish they were truly budget.
Pricing for hotels can be different for every area. Close to my work is a Marriott Courtyard that I could get for less than $60/night. But in other areas, a Courtyard could be double the cost of another chain's budget hotel.

What I would suggest is to look at the rates for the various hotels around your work. Then after you know which ones are within your budget, you can look at their rewards program (assuming they have one of course) and then make your choice.

Also, I would check to see if your company has any negociated rates with any of the hotels close by. That might get you a much cheaper rate. (But do make sure that the negociated rate still earns rewards as some rates for some chains don't.)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Originally Posted by onthego15
+1 for wyndham rewards.
They always have promotions for 3x or 4x the points. Just about every quarter.
Plus I have a good experience redeeming for their lower end hotels without a problem. (You have to call to redeem internationally but it is easy enough)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.