Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by StoobyDoo

In other news, just made Golden Circle Diamond, thank you Shangri-La Paris! It was rather easy to hit looking back, I can't believe that it's only 25 stays to Diamond. I lost my SPG status in the process...
Lol. I am still SPG Plat and Hilton Diamond at the moment, but I am very seriously looking at GC Diamond.

Now that you have achieved GC Diamond, any obvious improvements in treatment like upgrades? How are the lounges, etc?
And compared to SPG Elite, what are the differences, and what do you like better?

Anyone else can can share more on GC Diamond experiences?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Currently having a disagreement with GC on a missing stay claim.

"We are sorry for the delay in our reply to you.
We checked and understand that you had two room reservation at Hotel Jen **** from 11-12 September 2015. One was made by redeeming your GC Award Points for free night's redemption and the second booking was made under the advance purchase rate.
The booking under redemption was under your name and attached to your membership profile. Kindly allow us to clarify that that Golden Circle is an individual guest recognition programme and only the room which is physically occupied by a member will be taken into account towards that member's stay record.
Therefore, we are sorry to inform that we are unable to credit the second room (as per the invoice attached ) to your membership profile. In future, if you would like to have two rooms during a stay period, and yet would still like to utilize your points for room redemption, you may book the room under your nominee (for redemption) and another room under your name (qualifying room rate). By this, you would be able to earn points on the room you booked under your name and under a qualifying rate. Your kind understanding is highly appreciated."

I can accept that the room booked under a GC Award Points redemption would not qualify for a stay record. But the other room booked under the advance purchase rate should be a qualifying stay record.

Is my understanding wrong ?

Last edited by meremale; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:30 am

Incredibly rare opportunity - Shangri-La Love Journey up to 40% off APAC Deals

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati.../?format=1500w

The time to celebrate love is now - especially when there is up to 40% off room packages at all participating Shangri-La properties around Asia-Pacific! ^^

This is an incredibly rare opportunity as Shangri-La properties hardly get discounted at this rate. If there's a luxurious experience all of us have been waiting for, this is it!

@:-) www.lovejourney.shangri-la.com Play the LoveJourney Game and win free stay at any Shangri-la hotel!!!

Booking promo ends 11.11.2015 ^ Gotta be quick!

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 29, 2015 at 2:07 am Reason: Blog link non-compliant
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Shangri la phone app is not working, stays are appearing under transactions with correct points and number of nights but they are not being added to your front page summary totals or the records hotels have
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by meremale
Currently having a disagreement with GC on a missing stay claim.
"We are sorry for the delay in our reply to you.
We checked and understand that you had two room reservation at Hotel Jen **** from 11-12 September 2015. One was made by redeeming your GC Award Points for free night's redemption and the second booking was made under the advance purchase rate.
The booking under redemption was under your name and attached to your membership profile. Kindly allow us to clarify that that Golden Circle is an individual guest recognition programme and only the room which is physically occupied by a member will be taken into account towards that member's stay record.
Therefore, we are sorry to inform that we are unable to credit the second room (as per the invoice attached ) to your membership profile. In future, if you would like to have two rooms during a stay period, and yet would still like to utilize your points for room redemption, you may book the room under your nominee (for redemption) and another room under your name (qualifying room rate). By this, you would be able to earn points on the room you booked under your name and under a qualifying rate. Your kind understanding is highly appreciated."
I can accept that the room booked under a GC Award Points redemption would not qualify for a stay record. But the other room booked under the advance purchase rate should be a qualifying stay record.
Is my understanding wrong ?
Just in case, anyone's interested. Below is the 'resolution from GC" :

We are pleased to inform that we have exceptionally credited a total of XX GC Award Points for the second room booked under your name.
Kindly allow us to clarify that only one room can be attached to member's profile for a travelling period. We understand that you require two rooms as you are travelling with children. You may make the second room reservation under your wife's name. If you would like to utilize your points, you may then register your wife as a nominee and make nominee redemption booking. By this, you will be able to make another room reservation under your name (under a qualifying paid rate) which will be credited to you accordingly. We hope to have your kind understanding on this.

It still seems to me to be a very round-about way for booking 2 rooms. Shortfall shortfall of the GC program.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:34 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
GC 5 yr anniversary: some great changes to the program

The GC program will have it's 5th anniversary in a few weeks and I am hearing we will have some very welcome program changes for that occasion:
  • Rollover nights: excess nights after achieving tier renewal will count to tier renewal in the following year
  • Points/ night credits for additional rooms (family members only, up to 3 rooms)
  • Redemption nights will count as stays towards tier renewal
  • Points can be bought and gifted to other members
  • Instant use of GC points for dining at all SL properties

All of these changes will effect the 2016 membership year, with the dining benefit coming online about March 2016.

Lets watch out for the formal announcement in a few weeks and then have a look at the T&Cs. But so far I would say it is a significant enhancement of the program. Well done Shangri-La and Golden Circle!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by JRK
The GC program will have it's 5th anniversary in a few weeks and I am hearing we will have some very welcome program changes for that occasion:
  • Rollover nights: excess nights after achieving tier renewal will count to tier renewal in the following year
  • Points/ night credits for additional rooms (family members only, up to 3 rooms)

All of these changes will effect the 2016 membership year, with the dining benefit coming online about March 2016.

Lets watch out for the formal announcement in a few weeks and then have a look at the T&Cs. But so far I would say it is a significant enhancement of the program. Well done Shangri-La and Golden Circle!
As a current SPG Plat and being dissatisfied with the MR-SPG merger, I am on the lookout for programs, and I had shortlisted 2 - Hyatt and Shangri-la, but the latter really has very little reviews and info on FT.

I really like your preview of the upcoming changes, and if they had announced it earlier and faster, I might even make Shangri-la my main program for 2016.

However, Shangri-la's response is still slower than Hyatts - I just got my Hyatt Status match to Diamond.

Still, if all the above changes come onboard (key points multiple room credits, and award nights counting towards status), I would be keen.

If they offer status match (they have refused to do so in the past), I may even put Shangri-la ahead of Hyatt, but I doubt they will do it.

Shangri-la could also start a lifetime status level, like Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton.

I will monitor further for details, but thanks for the heads up!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
are there any programs to transfer into GC? I'm at 800 on multiple accounts and looking to top off to 1000 to redeem for the food voucher.. TIA
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by frudd38
are there any programs to transfer into GC? I'm at 800 on multiple accounts and looking to top off to 1000 to redeem for the food voucher.. TIA
Instead of redeeming 1000 points for a USD100 voucher, you can use the 800 points that you currently have for an 'Instant Dining Reward' (see http://instant-diningawards.com/en.html). 10 points can be redeemed for USD1 in dining spend, and there is no minimum point use.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by paul00
Instead of redeeming 1000 points for a USD100 voucher, you can use the 800 points that you currently have for an 'Instant Dining Reward' (see http://instant-diningawards.com/en.html). 10 points can be redeemed for USD1 in dining spend, and there is no minimum point use.
Problem is they expire 12/31/15.. =/
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 pm

Does someone know the Points Plus Cash rate? I'm trying to book 1 night online but the website keep forcing it to 2 nights. Is there a minimum of 2 nights for the award? I only have 800 points and figured I can at least book the lowest level hotel category.. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:43 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
Update on GC Program Changes

Originally Posted by JRK

I hear the additional rooms benefit has been loaded into the system and is active. Maybe someone can test and report back?

Other changes to be rolled out with the new Membership Year......
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:34 am

Redeemed GC points for the first time this month, and I am so impressed I am with their redemption value. 1000 points for a USD 100 dining credit is quite remarkable. Combine that with the triple-point promotions they've offered during past stays, and I'm benefiting from redemption values of 30 cents on the dollar. It's an incredible incentive to stay loyal to Shangri-La.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:57 am

I was told anecdotally by someone who was comped Diamond that while he received Club access as a Diamond, he never received actual upgrades to Club floor rooms (let alone a Suite upgrade). Is this an accurate representation / expectation of the Diamond benefit?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by milehighj
I was told anecdotally by someone who was comped Diamond that while he received Club access as a Diamond, he never received actual upgrades to Club floor rooms (let alone a Suite upgrade). Is this an accurate representation / expectation of the Diamond benefit?
How did that person get comped Diamond in the first place?
I once asked but was told Shang Golden Circle does not do status match.

But in other loyalty programs, it is possible to get base room, and lounge access as top tier member. It is disappointing of course, if they never upgrade the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.