Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Global Hotel Alliance unveils loyalty program

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Active thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1958660-global-hotel-alliance-discovery-loyalty-program-q-thread-2018-present.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:36 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

Over on BT:

Sharing a platform with the Chief Executive Officer of the Star Alliance Jaan Albrecht, Global Hotel Alliance CEO Christopher Hartley announced details of the new GHA Discovery recognition programme.

As first reported on Business Traveller Asias website last year the programme will operate across all of the 12 hotel brands in the Global Hotel Alliance, and will have three tiers: gold, platinum and black (with a special invitation-only red level). The programme will be about recognition rather than being points-based system, but members will be able to earn miles in partner airline programmes, something that Hartley said GHAs research had shown was wanted.

Of all hotel points awarded across the industry, in all programmes, more than half are converted into frequent flyer miles Hartley said, explaining that the intention was for members to be able to earn miles with partner airlines.

The purpose of the alliance is to create a meaningful proposition for customers, and now we have the technology in place which allows us to recognise guests wherever they stay around the world with us, Hartley said. GHA members arent mega brands. Instead they tend to be independently owned, and the alliances key asset comes from the strength of these regional brands, all sharing the sales and marketing resources.

Hartley said the rewards available in the GHA programme would include a choice of over 1000 unique experiences put together by experts at the member hotels. In many cases these have been specially packaged and cannot be bought.

For members, earning rewards should be simple, since All members are equal (so one night in the most expensive hotel in the Alliance is worth the same as one night in the least expensive). The tier levels have been set at 10 nights and 30 nights for moving from gold to platinum and platinum to black, respectively.

There is, however, weighting to take into account travellers who stay with many brands rather than just one or two, and even a jackpot prize for members reaching a certain number of nights and who had stayed at each of the member brands. Details of the earning structure will be published in May on the GHA website, Hartley said.

For more information visit www.globalhotelalliance.com
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:55 am

Registered for Pre-enrolment, have an upcoming stay in early April, hope it gets launched before my stays. Any ideas as to how i am able to get a membership number of some sort pretty soon.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: BA silver
great idea! I've used a lot of these brands but have nothing to show for it, until now
Old May 4, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
I just got the following e-mail from Kempinski - unfortunately (for my English speeking friends in here) it is written in German:

Kempinski Private Concierge News - Sommer 2010

Sehr geehrter Herr Flamewing,

als einem unserer hochgeschtzten Private Concierge Mitglieder freue ich mich Ihnen unser neues Kundenbindungsprogramm der Global Hotel Alliance mit dem Namen GHA Discovery vorstellen zu drfen.
Mit der Einfhrung im Juni 2010 wird GHA Discovery Ihnen einen einzigartigen neuen Ansatz eines Kundenbindungsprogrammes anbieten: Fantastische Erlebnisse an Allen Ihren Reisezielen – Amazing Local Experiences Wherever You Travel. Kempinski ist stolzer Partner der weltweit grten Allianz unabhngiger Hotelmarken um unser weltweites Netzwerk auszubauen. Ihr bisheriger Private Concierge Status verleiht Ihnen den Vorteil direkt als Mitglied im hchsten Level – Black Level - von GHA Discovery aufgenommen zu werden ohne sich vorab erneut qualifizieren zu mssen. Mit Ihrem Einverstndnis sichern Sie sich ebenfalls den Vorteil zahlreiche Privilegien weltweit innerhalb der 250 Partnerhotels der Global Hotel Alliance zu genieen. Um Ihnen die Entscheidung Ihres Reisezieles zu erleichtern, werden Sie in unseren Partnerhusern den selben Service erwarten knnen, wie Sie ihn bereits von unseren Kempinski Hotels kennen.
Eines der einmaligen Vorteile des GHA Discovery Programmes ist die Welt der Fantastische Erlebnisse an Allen Ihren Reisezielen – Amazing Local Experiences Wherever You Travel. Als Mitglied der Black Kategorie knnen Sie sich bei Ihrem ersten Aufenthalt bei einem neuen GHA Discovery Partner ein Reiseerlebnis verdienen. Es stehen Ihnen mehrere Hundert dieser von fhrenden Concierges zusammengestellten Erlebnissen zur Auswahl. Mit GHA Discovery mchten wir Ihre Reise unvergesslich machen. Lernen Sie Ihr Reiseziel besser kennen und blicken Sie hinter die Kulissen. Nehmen Sie vor Ort an einzigartigen, authentischen Aktivitten teil und genieen Sie in ber 250 Hotels, Resorts, Palsten und Spas der 12 Partner der Global Hotel Alliance eine exklusive Behandlung.
Sie werden innerhalb der nchsten Wochen von uns eine Einladung fr die Teilnahme an GHA Discovery erhalten. Bitte schreiben Sie sich nicht ber eine andere Quelle fr GHA Discovery ein, da Sie in diesem Fall in die Gold-Kategorie eingestuft werden wrden, welches der Einstiegskategorie entspricht. Mit der Einfhrung von GHA Discovery im Juni 2010 werden wir das Private Concierge Programm einstellen.
Zu guter Letzt mchte ich Ihnen mitteilen, da das Kempinski Hotel Sanya Hainan Island nicht mehr zur Kollektion der Kempinski Hotels gehrt.
Wir hoffen, dass Sie genauso begeistert sind von Ihrer neuen GHA Discovery Mitgliedschaft. Wir freuen uns darauf Sie bald wieder begren zu drfen.

Mit freundlichen Gren,

Juerg Siegenthaler
Senior Vice President Sales and Marketing
Old May 9, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
The main thing I got from that is that launch is now in June.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
They (representatives at one particular Kempinski at which I stayed in April plus representatives of other Kempinskis who were exhibiting at a road show) told me also that it would launch in June. Well, it's now June, and I see no evidence of the loyalty program on the GHA or Kempinski web sites. Does anyone else see anything? (I know, they didn't say that it would launch on June 1.)

Originally Posted by imz14u
Registered for Pre-enrolment, have an upcoming stay in early April, hope it gets launched before my stays. Any ideas as to how i am able to get a membership number of some sort pretty soon.
How does one register for pre-enrollment?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
New website

GHA has finally launched the new website http://www.gha.com where you can see all the levels and benefits of the new loyalty program.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The main feature of the program seems to be that one doesn't earn points which can be redeemed for future stays, but rather "Local Experiences" -- certificates that one can redeem for special events and amenities.

I generally wouldn't be interested in such rewards. Some of them seem pretty generous. For example, in the "Culinary Delights" category in Asia for Kempinski hotels, the options for Gold level (one stay) include "A private romantic picnic between the dunes of the Emirates Palace" or "A private brewery tour with our own brew master, including 1 pint for free." At Platinum (ten stays) you can "Get exclusively your own Gazebo for a Candle Light Dinner and enjoy a five star set menu" at Emirates Palace. It seems that the Black (thirty stays) rewards haven't been defined yet.

Others seem pretty poor. For example, "Unique experience where your future is told by an old gypsy" in Cairo (Gold); "See this fascinating country through the eyes of a local woman" in Ajman, UAE (Gold), whatever that means; "Visit a typical Spanish wine cellar, as well as beautiful vineyard in Ronda" (Platinum), which might be a nice reward for Gold, but seems a bit skimpy for Platinum level. But, hey, to each his/her own, right.

It says that you earn one certificate each time you stay at a brand (of which there are 12 in the Global Hotel Alliance) for the first time. So I guess the optimal strategy for achieving top-tier status would be to accrue 30 stays in one brand, then earn 11 more Black-level rewards by staying in each other brand after that.

I suspect that a lot of travelers won't be particularly interested in these awards. But the other benefits are OK -- e.g., free internet access at Gold level; upgrade, late checkout, and 48-hour guaranteed availability at Platinum; and double-upgrade, 6:00pm check-out, and 24-hour guaranteed availability at Platinum.

I guess with the wide variety of hotel types in the Global Hotel Alliance, it's hard for them to guarantee a certain benefit (e.g., executive club access, which probably doesn't exist at the majority of properties), so they're left witih pretty generic benefits combined with the "Local Experiences."

Certainly an unusual program. I give it overall a , since you don't earn any free nights. I guess I will continue to earn my United miles at Kempinski (which I am assuming won't change, although I cannot be sure).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:52 am

Houston We Have a Problem...

OK, at first glance this looks like a pretty neat loyalty program. Unfortunately after having joined and gone through their web site, I can't find any way to get credited for a stay unless it has been booked through their web site, and their prices are higher than what I can find elsewhere. There is no instructions on getting retroactive or missed credits. I'm going to try and email their customer support.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:47 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
From what I see on the website and a brochure I have the black level really seems to be interesting.

Black level (30 nights) offers exactly what I would want to see as benefits for a top elite level:
GUARANTEED two category upgrade
9 a.m. checkin and 6 p.m. checkout

I hope that this program already runs smooth in reality and I will definitely try it out and if its O.K. switch over many of my leisure stays where I pretty much decide where to go to vacation based upon available nice hotels.

Last edited by ralfkrippner; Jul 31, 2010 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by DrPSB
OK, at first glance this looks like a pretty neat loyalty program. Unfortunately after having joined and gone through their web site, I can't find any way to get credited for a stay unless it has been booked through their web site, and their prices are higher than what I can find elsewhere. There is no instructions on getting retroactive or missed credits. I'm going to try and email their customer support.
did u manage to email their customer support? Seems like u only get benefits if u book at their website which has a ridiculously high rate.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:12 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I don't believe you can only book through their Site, maybe the Website is Not Ready yet for the New Programm?

The Rates I checked for two Kempinski Hotels and One Anantara were quite OK.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:17 am

Well somebody have to pay for those "local experiences". So my feel is that you only get the benefit if u book thru the gha website at a slightly inflated rate so that the hotel will be reimbursed... tat's my feel.. it's anybody's guess if this is the case.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
I've had quite a few stays at a Sebel branded property here in Australia. The front desk signed me up to the GHA program, and started giving me the Gold benefits (bottled water and free internet) straight away.
I usually book through the Qantas website, to get the bonus miles, and they still give me the GHA benefits.
The kicker is that this week the GHA website price is $50 less that the Qantas rate!
The GHA website doesn't show the number of stays or nights, so I'm not sure how you tell when you get to higher "status" with this program.
But compared to SPG, the free internet just for joining the program makes it all worthwhile for me.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:15 pm

Its possible to get the BLACK card with just two stays..This is how..

First Hotels in Scandinavia is a partner with GHA and the level at First is also the level at GHA hotels.

Sign up for First Member and have two stays between 11.10.2010 till 31.12.2010 and they will give you 10.000 bonuspoints(Between 10-15000 is needed for a free night) and they will also match your status with any other hotelprogram(That have hotels in Scandinavia which Hilton, Starwood and Marriott has).

Information only available in Swedish as far as I can see. First have hotels in Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

http://www.firsthotels.com/sv/sleepwithus/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.