Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair's leissure flight stop-over in India

Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold

Interesting detail from AY. For now on AY's leissure flights to Asia (Phuket, Utapao, Ho Chi Minh City) have made a stopover in Jaipur (JAI, India) and before that in Ahmedabad (AMD, India). Now all flights will make the stopovers in Ahmedabad. During the stopover the plane is refuelled and the crew is changed. According to AY, Jaipur is experiencing exceptional weather condition and difficulties in other activities. AY has leissure flights almost every day to Asia with B757 aircrafts.

According to a friend of mine who came back from Vietnam, during the stopover in Jaipur, the plane was heavily guarded by armed forces.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:00 am

Yeah, they switched from Dubai to those Indian airports due to "shorter flighttimes". They claim they didn't do it because of the landing/ground handling/etc. fees were lower. Supposedly they are as high as in Dubai.

Hmmm, I wonder how the AY flight crews like this change...
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA
It always seemed strange Finnair would use two separate airports for the refuelling in central India because the logistics of changing crews become much more difficult when you use two different places, and you end up with higher costs. For the same reason Boeing 757 charters from Britain to North America always tend to stop at Bangor, Maine regardless of where they are heading on for because that eases these things. You can have people stuck away from home for an awful long time otherwise, sat doing nothing and costing the airline money.

Dubai is even further away from a direct flight route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.