Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a clever use for expiring Saga points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I have 33,000 Saga/Icelandair points, 20,000 of which will be expiring in December, and I have searched high and low for a way to use them that won't cost me a bucket load of money. Can't use them for a one way, don't want to buy points to book a ticket right now, and the gift-certificate option suggested by the Icelandair agent was almost laughable, but better than nothing.

I do have an Alaska Air account, but I am not sure if I would have to pay to transfer the points. I am just getting into the miles and points and credit-card thing and have never redeemed ff miles yet. I also have an Icelandair credit card, which I have stopped using because it isn't really doing me any good.

I mostly fly to Paris (once or twice a year) and have always used Icelandair, but the Saga points almost seem useless now because there is no way to keep them from expiring. I could kick myself for all the miles that I have let expire, so, if anyone has any clever uses for them, I would really appreciate hearing them.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
As you have experienced, there is no really good way to make use of Saga points.

The most useful way I have found is use points.com and redeem points for a gift card at a useable merchant. At least, you are getting something of value.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
People were booking AS F rountrips to Hawaii a few weeks ago using purchased saga points: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...where-they-go/
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

I will trade for the gift certificate if I can't figure out anything else, but I'm doing more investigating into maybe using the miles on Alaska Air. I hadn't planned a trip, but I will if I can use the miles for anything decent.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Unfortunately, the use of Saga points to book on AS ended a short time back. It was a really good deal, too good in fact; but it was a fairly short duration special promotion.

They say you will be able to use points to book on AS again in the future, but it won't be at such low redemption rates.

https://www.icelandair.us/frequent-f...aska_airlines/
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GfL
I've used Saga points to pay for meals and buy duty free items on board FI flights. I paid for a nice Ittala votive tea light using Saga points. You can also use them for stays at Nordica Hotel in RVK.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Just to be double sure I was understanding that the Alaska Air redemption option was no longer available, I called Icelandair. The agent had to put me on hold to check, and then she said the option was on hold, but may be available again some time. She suggested I email the airline and ask about it, which I did (no reply yet). I like Icelandair, but this will probably be the last time I either earn or lose miles with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.