Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet and Ryanair ceasing Madrid Operations

Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Newbie, DL,AA,VS,UA,VX,WN,CO (in a pinch)

OK, it's a bit sketchy according to news reports and guidance from their web sites, but due to Spain doubling airport taxes, both RyanAir and Easyjet will be "making changes" to their Madrid operations.

I just booked award flights to MAD in February and just purchased first half of 'open jaw' tix on Easyjet MAD-VCE-PSA-MAD last week. (out $100 right now)

Easyjet web site says, "easyJet has announced that it may make some changes to its flying programme from Madrid. All flights to and from Madrid, up to 1 November 2012 will be unaffected and passengers do not need to take any further action. There may be changes to easyJet flights to and from Madrid after 1 November and customers who are already booked on these flights will be notified by email if they are affected."

News reports say Easyjet is closing it's base:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2177839/Ryanair-cuts-routes-Spain-row-airport-tax-increase-Madrid-Barcelona.html

AirItalia can do the FULL openjaw tix for $183 pp. (I should have looked last week) Should I rebook on AirItalia and hope Easyjet cancels ? Fortunately it's only $100 at this point ... I welcome your thoughts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Mattress_Runner
Should I rebook on AirItalia and hope Easyjet cancels ?
The airlines have taken a negotiating position, hoping to wring concessions and "marketing intitiatves"`etc from Aena and the regional tourism organsations. If they were to pull out of Madrid, and other of Spain's airports, it's difficult to see where they'd employ the capacity that would release.

But as an $80 insurance against the risk, the Alitalia option is`attractive. You could probably write off most of this in baggage allowance, seat assignment and general stress-relief.

I'm not sure why you'd hope easyJet cancels, bringing unhappiness to hundreds of other passengers. It seems an unreasonable price for others to pay for your satisfaction.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I am not sure about EZY, but Ryanair might move most of the Spanish capacity to Poland - when they just commenced quite a significant operation from a new airport in Warsaw (WMI - Warsaw Modlin) - and further develop BUD operation created after Malev bankruptcy.

$183 fare on AZ is a good price, I would not hesitate to book.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But as an $80 insurance against the risk, the Alitalia option is`attractive. You could probably write off most of this in baggage allowance, seat assignment and general stress-relief.
This is not an insurance policy if the OP cannot cancel the $100 ticket. It will be a $183 insurance policy.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Technically the title is incorrect.
Easyjet and Ryanair are not ceasing Madrid Operations. They will just not have bases in Madrid.
Ryanair and Easyjet will continue to operate from other bases.

GBM
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Newbie, DL,AA,VS,UA,VX,WN,CO (in a pinch)
Thanks for the advice - I did book the AlItalia option. My cancelation "hope," only implied my flight, so I could get my $100 back. Did not wish to inconvience other passengers - I posted this alert so others hopefully, will plan ahead and make other options as myself.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Technically the title is incorrect.
Easyjet and Ryanair are not ceasing Madrid Operations.
GBM
I hate to be a nerd, but that's what the news article said in the article I posted:

"EasyJet has also announced it is closing its base at Madrid airport this winter, citing higher taxes as one of the reasons."

They may keep other airports open, but article says EasyJet and Ryan are closing their MAD operations.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz21XvuV9RN
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NickB
This is not an insurance policy if the OP cannot cancel the $100 ticket. It will be a $183 insurance policy.
Ah, right! I thought it was a straight choice between AZ and LCC. I missed he'd already bought the LCC ticket. Lazy reader.

I'd now practise some sophistry and forget insurance - just write off the $100 to experience: then purchase a new $183 ticket
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:40 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I hate to be a nerd, but that's what the news article said in the article I posted:

"EasyJet has also announced it is closing its base at Madrid airport this winter, citing higher taxes as one of the reasons."

They may keep other airports open, but article says EasyJet and Ryan are closing their MAD operations.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz21XvuV9RN
And there is your problem, right there: www.dailymail.co.uk
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
I read your nerd and raise you a nerdier Easyjet press release
Madrid based customers will also continue to benefit from easyJet’s services after the proposed transfer as easyJet will operate to Madrid from many of Europe’s most popular cities.
Originally Posted by starflyergold
And there is your problem, right there: www.dailymail.co.uk
That's it.

GBM
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
AirItalia can do the FULL openjaw tix for $183 pp. (I should have looked last week) Should I rebook on AirItalia and hope Easyjet cancels ? Fortunately it's only $100 at this point ... I welcome your thoughts
AirItalia???
ALITALIA is the airline.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Didn't Ruinair announce it would be charging people departing Spain extra tax to their credit cards?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So does that mean that Ryanair will be stopping all those interesting domestic flights from MAD? I discovered only just today that they have cheap and interesting options to some less obvious destinations I want to go in N Spain: Asturias (OVD), Santander (SDR), Bilbao (BIO) and, of course, Santiago (SCQ).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
I read your nerd and raise you a nerdier Easyjet press release

That's it.

GBM
You win !!! I'm a Yank - I've never read the dailymail
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
AirItalia???
ALITALIA is the airline.
My bad - never flown 'em before

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.