Wiki Posts
Search

Does Czech Airlines Permit Standby

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does Czech Airlines Permit Standby

I may finish up in the AM and my OK flight is in the evening. Can I standby for an earlier flight on my return ticketed date. The Prague ticket office is totally unclear and seem to indicate they want another 300+ euros to rebook for a confirmed seat 24 hr in advance and know nothing about "standby".

MisterNice
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:38 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I take it you want to standby for an earlier flight as is the system when flying in the USA. Remember that this works different in Europe. Most European airlines will abide strictly to the fare rules in terms of changes. There are exceptions but very few.

In terms of OK flexibility I don't know as I have never tried it with them. Your best bet is to go to the airport and ask. I doubt that you will have any luck though, nor would you with many other European airlines...
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
Standby - not really an option

I am a regular on the PRG-AMS-PRG route with CSA, and I have Gold status (that is as far as you can get in the OKplus programme).

Last month I had a regular economy ticket (basically there are three types of economy (premium, regular and value - I had the middle one)). I was booked on OK624 to AMS (departing at 19.05 from PRG). I arrived at the airport at 16.00 and I could still make the OK618 which left at 17.05.

The lady at the check-in counter asked me whether I wanted to change. I said if it is for free - why not. She was then as kind as to leave her station, walk over to the ticket counter with my reservation confirmation and have a discussion with the lady there (at which point I was very impressed with the service). On coming back she informed me (blushing when she told me) that the change would be EUR 230 (approx $300). Less impressed, as that is close to a single fare business class. So I decided to wait two hours (they have a nice lounge in Prague, by the way - accessible if you are Elite Plus in any SkyTeam program).

Summarizing:

1. maximum status in their own program does not help
2. not paying the lowest fare does not help
3. having a sympathetic check-in assistant does not help

So I wouldn't put your hopes too high. You might be lucky of course, maybe they will shift you for free when they are overbooked as they regularly are on the PRG-AMS route (especially the Monday morning OK616 as well the Sunday afternoon OK618 are notorious). I could not determine from your question whether you were departing from Prague, but I have the impression that outside of Prague they are slightly less strict with the rules.

Last edited by Kvet01; Sep 16, 2007 at 8:36 am Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys and the return is PRG to AMS on an evening OK flight and they tell me it is the lowest OK fare. Google sez PRG has no free wi-fi so I guess I will have to satisfy myself with NWA elite plus admittance to the OK lounge and a couple of nice cold Czech beers.. I heard inter-europe was tough with standby but never had the possibility of facing it.

MisterNice
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
There are plenty of internet computers in the OK lounge and most of the time they offer things to eat as well (I say most of the time as they are not very good in restocking).
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Google sez PRG has no free wi-fi MisterNice
Not too sure about the absence of free Wi-Fi. I had free access a few months ago at the end of the C-pier, near gate C11 (actually the pier that you will be using for your evening flight to AMS (OK624 one assumes)). Not too sure whether it is there still.

But apart from free beer the lounge also offers Internet Access. Take your Ethernet cable with you, or they will give you one at the counter in exchange for your boarding pass. And as Gnopps indicates there are also free workstations.

Also - Prague itself is quite a nice city, you might want to look around for (an extra) few hours. But then - so is Amsterdam :-)

Cheers.

Last edited by Kvet01; Sep 16, 2007 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kvet01
Also - Prague itself is quite a nice city, you might want to look around ...
Far worse places to be stuck than Praha Flying IAH-ABI out of Term A on the much maligned Colgan cropduster tomorrow

Oh well, another 1K EQM closer to finally cracking CO Plat when I return

EmailKid
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had to change to an earlier flight and was told by OK they never permit standby (both downtown and airport locations) like the American airlines sometimes do. I was dinged about 200-300 euros priced in CZK for the earlier flight as "we only have one empty seat and it is at a higher fare base". I just made the bus going to the remote aircraft so did not see the OK lounge or try the wifi. After boarding the B735 PRG-AMS aircraft I noticed it had over 30% empty seats so OK lies like the rest of the airlines. The free sandwiches and free wine were tasty and fine and it was very refreshing to see the FA actually lifting and placing the luggage into the overhead bins and assisting the passengers to be seated. The FA actually were located in the aisles and also greeted every passenger as they boarded. I have not seen that in the US for 10+ years. Thanks for all the FT help.

MisterNice
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I had to change to an earlier flight and was told by OK they never permit standby (both downtown and airport locations) like the American airlines sometimes do. I was dinged about 200-300 euros priced in CZK for the earlier flight as "we only have one empty seat and it is at a higher fare base". I just made the bus going to the remote aircraft so did not see the OK lounge or try the wifi. After boarding the B735 PRG-AMS aircraft I noticed it had over 30% empty seats so OK lies like the rest of the airlines. The free sandwiches and free wine were tasty and fine and it was very refreshing to see the FA actually lifting and placing the luggage into the overhead bins and assisting the passengers to be seated. The FA actually were located in the aisles and also greeted every passenger as they boarded. I have not seen that in the US for 10+ years. Thanks for all the FT help.

MisterNice
It could have been that there was just 1 seat left at the price you payed, and the rest were more expensive ones..
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: SQ
Just booked an OK ticket for my GF for next week. Due to it being a last minute booking the prices were fairly ridiculous for AMS-PRG, but it needed to be booked. She's booked on the 19:05 flight and would like to get on the 16:55 flight (that cost 300E more at time of booking).

I'm guessing this is a no-no, but a 400E R/T fare to PRG might allow some changes? OKs website is a joke and I can't find anything on the fare paid, although I know she got it from an OTA that was 150E less than what OK's site wanted.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, OK Gold, TK Elite
There will be no free changes. Unless you purchased full Y fare (and they do not sell these for 400 RT). You'd need to pay change fee and fare difference. Not worth it. If by chance you have access to OK miles, they have AMS on sale this month for 10500 miles for RT award ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Any recent experience for anyone with same day changes on OK? Have an upcoming MXP to PRG where I would love to get on the morning flight.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by banffflyr
Any recent experience for anyone with same day changes on OK? Have an upcoming MXP to PRG where I would love to get on the morning flight.
I was told in last Nov. I had to have a full fare ticket for my FRA-PRG to change schedule. Saved the money for some extra shopping.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Can now confirm that same day change or standby is not an option. OK's agency in MXP said no chance of changing, so we ended up spending the day in Milan, even though the morning flight had tonnes of availablity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.