Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 6, 06, 8:58 am   #1
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: BA Silver (not for long...)
TAROM (Non-Glam) Business Class

On a 733. Anyone any experience? I need to do some work on the flight, so if it's 2+3, I'll be trying to prebook...

Is there a lounge at OTP?
stut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 06, 3:52 pm   #2

It is 2 and 2 seating with about 4 seats upfront. As far as a lounge, there is one. When you check in for your flight, just ask for a lounge pass. Usually they give you one when you check in and they see that you have a F ticket.
docr775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 06, 10:37 pm   #3

Programs: AA PLT; SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
RO in C as far as seats is standard european-style short haul biz class - nothing to write home about... service on the other hand, is quite good with attentive FA's, good food and nice service even on short routes quite a nice contrast to short route domestic US first class.
You should be given a lounge invitation at checkin in OTP. Speaking of checkin, RO has a dedicated C-class checkin for ALL its flights at OTP which may or may not be a good thing depending on loads...
Back to the lounge.. nothing fancy, pretty small lounge with separate section for smoking, couple of TVs, pretty OK selection of beers, booze, nice Romaian wines, sparkling/still water, etc., all self-service. As far as food.. practically non-existent, just pretzels, chips and some small cookies. I was there a couple of days ago and was surprised to find the entire KLM crew relaxing and having coffee right there in the lounge before their flight.
Depending on the time of day, if the non-smoking section is quite full, take a peek on the other side at the smoking section, usually only has one or two persons in it and can be a better option.

Let me know if you need any pointers or advice about OTP and/or Bucharest; I go there pretty regularly.

Regards,
Chris
Old Jan 12, 06, 3:47 am   #4

Thanks, folks.

2+2 is perfect and 2+3 is fine - anything that's enough space for my elbows while using a laptop!

Do you have any hotel recomendations in Bucharest? The Hilton Athénée is way over my budget, and I'm so far unimpressed by the InterContinental. I hear good things about the Howard Johnson, though.
Old Jan 12, 06, 8:51 pm   #5

Programs: AA PLT; SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by stut
Thanks, folks.

2+2 is perfect and 2+3 is fine - anything that's enough space for my elbows while using a laptop!

Do you have any hotel recomendations in Bucharest? The Hilton Athénée is way over my budget, and I'm so far unimpressed by the InterContinental. I hear good things about the Howard Johnson, though.
I also heard good things about the HJ plus there's a Benihana in the lobby in case you like japanese food, although I would recommend some good Romanian food first Marriott is good too although is not in the city center as the HJ.
Unfortunately, I do not have much more advice about hotels because I've never stayed at one since I have family living there.
Old Jan 13, 06, 4:15 am   #6

Programs: IHG RA - PC Plat - SPG Plat - Hilton Diamond - Sixt Plat
If you don't need to be exactely in the center in my opinion the Crown Plaza is much better than the Intercontinental. With a good restaurant and located next to the exhibition.
Not bad but again not in the very centre the Sofitel
Luca T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 06, 3:54 pm   #7

I don't need to be exactly in the centre, but I prefer to be in the centre, as I actually like to see something of a place when I'm staying there!

On the TAROM flight, I was rather impressed. It's a small thing, but 2+2 seating is a rarity for intra-European flights these days, and BUH to Western Europe is a long enough flight for 2+2 to be very welcome (particularly if you have to work on board). The seats are the fixed North American F style, too, not the AF-style convertibles. Service, as noted here, was attentive, and the food rather tasty. I will definitely fly with them again for my upcoming trips to BUH/TSR/CLJ.
Old May 20, 11, 7:50 pm   #8

Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Great thread...I see that RO charges YQ fuel charge now so Im still not sure if I want to travel with them, but still have some questions. Do they serve hot meals on such short routes as IST-OTP or OTP-ATH? I flew RO once OTP-FRA, and there were hot meals in Y. This time, Ill be in C.

Also, is the lounge a contract lounge? or does it have RO-branded glasses/plates and airline staffmembers?
SkyTeam777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 11, 10:03 pm   #9

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I flew OTP-IST 3 months ago and they only served a small snack, no hot food. For OTP-CDG though they served hot food, much better than AF.

C-lounge in OTP is a contracted one, used by C passengers from all airlines. There is no Tarom-specific branding. This being said, it offers free wifi, decent selection of snacks and very good selection of drinks.
Old Oct 21, 12, 12:39 pm   #10

Programs: FB Plat
Based on a few recent flights, here is a quick update on Tarom’s Business Class:

Seating
On the 737-300 and 737-700, business is 3-4 rows of 2+2 seating (a similar approach to KQ’s, but not quite as spacious, I felt). Still, much better than most airlines seem to offer for European short-haul these days.

Business class on a 737-700
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

However, the A318 has an ‘Air France’ style setup: basically 3+3 economy-class seats (and pitch?), with the middle-seat blocked, and the back-rest folded down to form a table. This is not nearly so spacious as the 737 layout.

IFE
The 737-700 (and I think the A318) has overhead TV screen (although they only seemed to be showing a series of shorts, rather than a full movie). The 737-300 didn’t have any video.

Meals
My flights were all 2+ hrs, and in each case there was a reasonable hot meal served. Admittedly I’m no gourmet, but I thought the quality was pretty good.

Breakfast

There are also pictures of Tarom meals on their website.

Lounge
I thought the lounge in OTP is now Tarom-branded, but I might be wrong. It’s up the escalators to the left, around gate 9 (I think). It’s light and airy, with a nice view over part of the apron. As mentioned above, it has free wifi, drinks and snacks (but no hot food). No need for an invitation card - C-class BP (or ST E+ FFP card, presumably) is sufficient to gain entry.

Tarom lounge in Bucharest Otopeni, international terminal

Other
All my flights were on time.

The cabin crew were friendly and helpful (and spoke English).

I got very prompt and helpful responses by email, when I needed to change my reservations, etc.

Summary
I was quite impressed, and thought it was a good product compared to short-haul C-class on many other airlines these days. I would certainly fly RO again, should their routes and schedules fit my requirements.
KQ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 13, 1:22 pm   #11

Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Anyone flown OTP-MAD? Seems like a long enough flight for a hot meal as well. Do they offer any type of headsets, eyeshades, or pre-departure drinks?
Old Feb 1, 13, 7:38 am   #12

Programs: FB Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Anyone flown OTP-MAD? Seems like a long enough flight for a hot meal as well. Do they offer any type of headsets, eyeshades, or pre-departure drinks?
I haven't flown OTP-MAD but based on my experience on other routes last year (and talking about Business, of course, as per the title of the thread):
- It's a 4hr flight, so I would assume you get a hot meal
- I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if the plane has IFE (ie: overhead TV) then yes, they will provide headsets
- Eyeshades: no, I don't recall there being any kind of amenity pack (so bring some eyeshades from a previous business class flight, if you want to sleep...)
- Pre-departure drinks: yes
KQ321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 13, 5:10 am   #13

Lounge is branded as TAROM, and the new airport terminal is quite nice. What is hilarious is that the lounge does not have Tarom branded glass and dishware...it is all Delta Business Elite dishware. They must have hoarded it all after Delta dropped OTP. Just seems funny seeing old and new DL china used in an airport lounge. Lots of small cookies and salty snacks, yogurts, wine/beer, etc.
Old Sep 30, 13, 6:12 pm   #14

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Did anyone here experience the 737-800 J?

is it also bigger seats and not "middle seat blocked" as the 737-700? is it better then the 700?

Thanks
photographer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 13, 1:43 am   #15

Programs: plenty
Tarom 737-800 configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographer2012 View Post
Did anyone here experience the 737-800 J?

is it also bigger seats and not "middle seat blocked" as the 737-700? is it better then the 700?

Thanks
Nope. The single 737-800 has a high density configuration with 189 seats, no special seats in Business. The -700 is definitely much better in Business.
svajcarac is offline   Reply With Quote