Flights went up over night

Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by platoon
enter BEG to CMH on that site.

I think your grossly overlooking that there is a rule other than most significant.

US DOT Regulation 14 CFR 399.87 and CTA Regulation 144-A-2014 (First Marketing Carrier)
Again, look at the example I posted above.

When there is an AA domestic sector at the start, you end up stuck with that flight type's 0kg allowance throughout.

Bear in mind that an international AA flight woudl have a baggage allowance. But that doesn't matter - as there is no such flight on the ticket - you are stuck with t e allowance of the first sector.

And bear in mind that the subsequent JL flights would each have a 2*23kg allowance - if only this wasn't overriden by the "0kg" introduced by the FMC rule.

In the JU case, despite what you were told by JU staff, the first sector is BEG-LHR, which comes with a 1*23kg allowance. JU does have flights with bigger allowances - BEG-JFK is one, just as in the AA example above, ORD-HND would have had a bigger allowance - but the baggage allowance is determined by the type of the first flight. Hence, in the JU case just as in that AA example, you get only the allowance applicable tothe first sector viewed in splendid isolation - which for the BEG-LHR sector is just 1*23kg.

If the second bag is a dealbreaker for you, then I would advise you to consult a human travel agent and make this issue the priority. Becuase I am 99% certain you are going to be charged a hefty fee for the second bag at check-in otherwise.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you know you are completely ignoring that first marketing carrier applies throughout a whole ticket trip itinerary for flights who's destination is the USA?
what AA domestic sector in the beginning? he's flying FROM Beograd to the usa?

HE'S IN SERBIA IN THE BALKANS GOING TO THE USA
Yes. I am aware of that, and no, I am not "completely ignoring" the first marketing carrier - I am applying the rule as indicated in the above link.

Look again at the example.

THE ALLOWANCE AND FEES OF THE FIRST FLIGHT APPLY TO ALL SUBSEQUENT SECTORS.. Even in cases where the first flight HAS no baggage allowance, and subsequent sectors WOULD HAVE (without this rule in force). [0 free bags, 1st bag charged @25 FOR ALL SECTORS, despite those flights otherwise having a more generous free allowance]. This is why the example is headlined "YOU COULD END UP WITH BAGGAGE FEES ON ALL FLIGHTS". Because, unlike the Most Significant Carrier rule, this rule just replicates the allowance of the very first flight on all subsequent flights. If it's 0kg, that's what you get on all subsequent flights. If, as with JU BEG-LHR it's 1*23kg, that's what you get on all subsequent flights.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes. I am aware of that.

Look again at the example.

THE ALLOWANCE AND FEES OF THE FIRST FLIGHT APPLY TO ALL SUBSEQUENT SECTORS.. Even in cases where the first flight HAS no baggage allowance, and subsequent sectors WOULD HAVE (without this rule in force). [0 free bags, 1st bag charged @25 FOR ALL SECTORS, despite those flights otherwise having a more generous free allowance]
yes that is true for multi destination where you have to re check bags, if there is no rechecking bags what are they going to do not charge in Serbia and then charge wherever else at the gate? no.

If all flights are on a single ticket. if the first flight has a allowance of 2 and the final destination is the usa irregardless of connections and policies to the connections o. connecting flights. Serbias market takes effect. I'm sorry but you are blatantly ignoring this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes that is true for multi destination where you have to re check bags, if there is no rechecking bags what are they going to do not charge in Serbia and then charge wherever else at the gate? no.
That's wrong.

The FMC rule (and the MSC rule) only applies to interline tickets, as the issue of "which of several conflicting baggage allowances applies?" only arises on such tickets.

If all flights are on a single ticket. if the first flight has a allowance of 2 and the final destination is the usa irregardless of connections and policies to the connections o. connecting flights. Serbias market takes effect. I'm sorry but you are blatantly ignoring this.
And again, you are wrong. I realise you claim you spoke to a JU agent who said you would get 2*23kg even when not travelling to JFK with JU, but that is not what the FMC rule says, and it's not what the MSC rule says, and it doesn't mean that you were misinformed or that the agent misunderstood or just was mitaken. The first ticket on a BEG-LHR(JU)-YYZ(AC)-CMH(AC) only has a 1*23kg allowance. Yes, I know JU has an allowance of 2*23kg for BEG-JFK and for many other connecting itineraries; but, observing the FMC rule, you must look at the allowance that JU would attribute to just BEG-LHR - which is only 1*23kg.

Stated again, there is no individual flight appearing on the ticket that would qualify for a 2*23kg allowance. BEG-LHR, although it "connects" to other flights, is still just BEG-LHR, and the marketing carrier of this flight will only grant a 1*23kg allowance for this first flight. This allowance is therefore carried over to all subsequent flights (though, in this case, there was never any question about baggage allowance, because each individual sector on BEG-LHR-YYZ-CMH only gets 1*23kg).

Yes, I know that the Air Serbia website says that for tickets between The US and Belgrade the allowance is 2*23kg. But remember - AA has a baggage allowance for US to Japan that is more than 0kg, and yet, in the example illustrated above, this was ignored and instead only the allowance of the first sector (0kg) was granted.

You must therefore explain why, in the present case, the "FMC" would lead to the provision of an allowance greater than that accruing to ANY of the individual sectors. (Again, the say-so of a JU employee who may not be aware of the rules or ever have actually considered this scenario, is far less convincing than the worked examples of the rules as shown inthat linked page)
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:02 am

That's wrong.

The FMC rule (and the MSC rule) only applies to interline tickets, as the issue of "which of several conflicting baggage allowances applies?" only arises on such tickets.

And again, you are wrong. I realise you claim you spoke to a JU agent, but that doesn't mean that you were misinformed or that they misunderstood or just didn't know themselves. The first ticket on a BEG-LHR(JU)-YYZ(AC)-CMH(AC) only has a 1*23kg allowance. Yes, I know JU has an allowance of 2*23kg for BEG-JFK and for many other connecting itineraries; but, observing the FMC rule, you must look at the allowance that JU would attribute to just BEG-LHR - which is only 1*23kg.

Yes, I know that the Air Serbia website says that for tickets between The US and Belgrade the allowance is 2*23kg. But remember - AA has a baggage allowance for US to Japan that is more than 0kg, and yet, in the example illustrated above, this was ignored and instead only the allowance of the first domestic sector was granted.

You must therefore explain why, in the present case, the "FMC" would lead to the provision of an allowance greater than that accruing to ANY of the individual sectors. (Again, the say-so of a JU employee who may not be aware of the rules or ever have actually considered this scenario, is far less convincing than the worked examples of the rules as shown inthat linked page)
it is impossible getting through to you. I have checked with the airline the airport and others here on this forum. you clearly know more and better. thank you. you have ruined the point of this post for me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...cked-bags.html

you need to click on where it says between United States and Belgrade, use the site properly you just mismatched baggage policies and destinations. ill do it for you.

and then the money shot right under the diagram on air Serbia

Last edited by platoon; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you need to click on where it says between United States and Belgrade, use the site properly you just mismatched baggage policies and destinations. ill do it for you.
Yes, I am aware of that, I have acknowledged that; but that is irrelevant when you are only travelling to LHR with JU and either the FMC or MSC rule applies.

I cannot make it any clearer. If you don't believe or understand, that is fine. But I warn you - you are likely to be charged for a second bag.

Please come back and let us know what transpires.

Safe travels.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:15 am

Yes, I am aware of that, I have acknowledged that; but that is irrelevant when you are only travelling to LHR with JU and either the FMC or MSC rule applies.

I cannot make it any clearer. If you don't believe or understand, that is fine. But I warn you - you are likely to be charged for a second bag.

Please come back and let us know what transpires.

Safe travels.
you are fixated on the LHR flight and using that as an out. I repeat.

I digress.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
OP - make sure you don't need a visa to transit Canada if you're going to go via YYZ.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
OP - make sure you don't need a visa to transit Canada if you're going to go via YYZ.
thanks, I've got American papers
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you transit Canada, you may also need a Canadian ETA or even a visa, unless you are a US passport holder, or unless you hold Canadian citizenship, residency or a visa that therefore obviates the need for such a transit ETA/visa. Holding "American papers" is not enough; if you transit Canada, you need to also meet Canadian requirements; if you need an ETA but don't have one, you won't be allowed to board your flight to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1044&top=16

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

If you transit Canada, you may also need a Canadian ETA or even a visa, unless you are a US passport holder, or unless you hold Canadian citizenship, residency or a visa that therefore obviates the need for such a transit ETA/visa. Holding "American papers" is not enough; if you transit Canada, you need to also meet Canadian requirements; if you need an ETA but don't have one, you won't be allowed to board your flight to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1044&top=16
American papers means passport. who travels with their citizenship certificate?

and regarding our earlier topic:

Last edited by capljina614; Sep 23, 2017 at 11:43 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

@irishguy28 ???? cat got your tounge?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.