Wiki Posts
Search

High Level EU261 Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

High Level EU261 Question

Just seeing all these 261 questions got me thinking.

How on earth do the airlines make money? The standard joke is "How do you make a $1M" Answer: "Run an airline and start with $5M" so its not a high profit (per flight) business.

Consider the best case (for the airline). A smaller B737 doing short haul that seats 150 and if each is compensated 250 Euro that's close to $40K compensation in the best case. Larger long haul planes could easily top $150K compensation.

If just 2% of your flights are delayed then that's going to be Millions of dollars in compensation per month. Bound to hurt their bottom line quite a bit.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It will hurt the bottom line. That's kind of the point. Keep your planes running and your systems functioning to avoid having to pay out. There is a lot of wiggle room on reasons not to pay out for the unexpected and in some ways I feel it can be punitive when things just go south but the EU is heavy on consumer protections.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:51 am

You're assuming wrongly that all 150 PAX on board go and claim compensation, and that the airline will immediately pay all of them, but that is not the case:

1. Some PAX are unaware of their rights, or couldn't be bothered to claim
2. Some PAX connecting to other flights will still reach their final destination in time
3. Some airlines will initially refuse to pay, and some PAX will just stop after getting the airline response
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
It is however a very anti-business law, also the fact that only EU airlines are subject to it on flights to the EU doubles down on that. Of course since more than a few international EU airlines get national subsidies, but I digress. As Ditto says above, Points 1 and 2 will make up the majority of folks flying on delayed planes. I'm personally in it with UA over the connecting USA only flight being cancelled. So case 3 is a real one as well. End of the day if more people take advantage of it then all of the ticket prices will rise on EU flights in order to deal with it in this high expense, relatively low profit industry.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
It is however a very anti-business law, also the fact that only EU airlines are subject to it on flights to the EU doubles down on that. Of course since more than a few international EU airlines get national subsidies, but I digress. As Ditto says above, Points 1 and 2 will make up the majority of folks flying on delayed planes. I'm personally in it with UA over the connecting USA only flight being cancelled. So case 3 is a real one as well. End of the day if more people take advantage of it then all of the ticket prices will rise on EU flights in order to deal with it in this high expense, relatively low profit industry.
Consumer protection is not anti business. Airlines were given the oportunity to be fair before EU261 was introduced and they blew it. By all accounts, the US may also soon enact something similar, so at least non-EU airlines leaving the US will also be covered by some kind of consumer protection. And, looking at some airlines' recently published results, some of the EU airlines are doing very nicely despite EU261.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My experience is limited. But when-ever my plane has been delayed more than 3 hours I've been emailed by the carriers spelling out my rights and compensation options.

So how can 1. be true?

Originally Posted by Ditto
You're assuming wrongly that all 150 PAX on board go and claim compensation, and that the airline will immediately pay all of them, but that is not the case:

1. Some PAX are unaware of their rights, or couldn't be bothered to claim
2. Some PAX connecting to other flights will still reach their final destination in time
3. Some airlines will initially refuse to pay, and some PAX will just stop after getting the airline response
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by inpd
My experience is limited. But when-ever my plane has been delayed more than 3 hours I've been emailed by the carriers spelling out my rights and compensation options.

So how can 1. be true?
And do you know for a fact that all other PAX on your flight received the same? And bothered reading it/claiming etc?

Last edited by Ditto; Aug 16, 2017 at 4:05 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:27 am

Just seeing all these 261 questions got me thinking.

How on earth do the airlines make money? The standard joke is "How do you make a $1M" Answer: "Run an airline and start with $5M" so its not a high profit (per flight) business.

Consider the best case (for the airline). A smaller B737 doing short haul that seats 150 and if each is compensated 250 Euro that's close to $40K compensation in the best case. Larger long haul planes could easily top $150K compensation.

If just 2% of your flights are delayed then that's going to be Millions of dollars in compensation per month. Bound to hurt their bottom line quite a bit.
Less than 10% of passengers claim compensation, especially in short-haul holiday routes. In my workplace (40 people) I was the only person aware of EU261 reg. Everytime someone has a delay / cancellation I remember them to claim for the money. Still 50% of them could not be bother to do it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
My experience is also limited. But never been e-mailed by the carrier. Ever.

The power of anecdotal evidence!!!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

The carriers in question must make sure you are aware of your rights, however there is nothing in the regulation to say how they should inform you, most carriers would not be as proactive as e-mailing, but rather hide it in plain sight during check-in/signs at the gate etc.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

No, however for a recent delayed flight of mine booked through expedia I did get a mail from them with a link to an EU261 collection agency.

As long as the national EU261 enforcement agencies are either passive or toothless on this, airlines will not change. Everybody will have to claim their own compensation. I have noticed that airlines pay with less hassle these days though, especially when you write your request in such as a way to indicate you know your entitlement.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As it was originally conceived before it was butchered by the ECJ -- which is composed of judges who know nothing about commercial aviation or apparently mechnics -- this was intended to make carriers maintain reasonable schedules and to keep their aircraft in proper flying condition. This, cancellation (delay) compensation would be payable unless there was an "extraordinary circumstance." Fair enough.

But, the ECJ has made it essentially impossible for an air carrier, no matter how well it maintains its aircraft, to claim an "extraordinary circumstance." That is contrary to the stated intent of the Regulation and is hardly consumer friendly.

Switzerland is not a Member State, but has adopted the Regulation into its national law. Swiss courts have wisely not adopted the ECJ silliness and the Regulation is applied in a common-sense manner.

A study completed last year suggests that less than 10% of eligible passengers claim compensation and that less than 2% of the total eligible amount is actually paid out.

If the costs of EC 261/2004 were increased 50-fold, e.g., that 100% of eligible claims were made and paid, the cost to carriers would be exorbitant and fares would dramatically rise. Moreover, because EU carriers are required to pay compensation for flights to and from the EU, while non-EU carriers pay only on departure from the EU, EU carriers would be at a substantial economic disadvantage.

If the ultimate goal of the Regulation was to cause carriers to operate according to their published schedules, after 13 years, there is no evidence that flights covered by the Regulation operate in a more timely manner than those which are not. US, Canadian & Japanese carriers operate roughly at the same on-time percentage as EU carriers.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
As it was originally conceived before it was butchered by the ECJ -- which is composed of judges who know nothing about commercial aviation or apparently mechnics -- this was intended to make carriers maintain reasonable schedules and to keep their aircraft in proper flying condition. This, cancellation (delay) compensation would be payable unless there was an "extraordinary circumstance." Fair enough.

But, the ECJ has made it essentially impossible for an air carrier, no matter how well it maintains its aircraft, to claim an "extraordinary circumstance." That is contrary to the stated intent of the Regulation and is hardly consumer friendly.

Switzerland is not a Member State, but has adopted the Regulation into its national law. Swiss courts have wisely not adopted the ECJ silliness and the Regulation is applied in a common-sense manner.

A study completed last year suggests that less than 10% of eligible passengers claim compensation and that less than 2% of the total eligible amount is actually paid out.

If the costs of EC 261/2004 were increased 50-fold, e.g., that 100% of eligible claims were made and paid, the cost to carriers would be exorbitant and fares would dramatically rise. Moreover, because EU carriers are required to pay compensation for flights to and from the EU, while non-EU carriers pay only on departure from the EU, EU carriers would be at a substantial economic disadvantage.

If the ultimate goal of the Regulation was to cause carriers to operate according to their published schedules, after 13 years, there is no evidence that flights covered by the Regulation operate in a more timely manner than those which are not. US, Canadian & Japanese carriers operate roughly at the same on-time percentage as EU carriers.
Japan is a bad example for comparison. Punctuality is very important in Japanese culture and if planes were routinely late, the financial hit to the airline would be worse than if Japan had enacted EU261/2004. When I flew NH HND-OKA and the flight was 10 mins late due to air traffic congestion, they apologized at least 4 times.

I don't think you've flown much on United and Air Canada to claim that they operate at roughly the same on time percentage as EU carriers.

From my experience, the best part about EU 261/2004 is that carriers will do everything in their power to get you to your final destination within 3 hours of original departure time, even if that means putting you on other competitors, which is a good thing.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Facts, not social commentary about Japan's societal norms. Do you have data to back up your UA concerns?

Take a look at the DOT statistics and you will see that despite the whining on FT, UA, AA & DL have pretty good on-time records. Certainly excellent for the 3-hour trigger under EC 261/2004 and even better for the 4-hour for Type 3 flights.

As more and more passengers are finding, there is a growing reluctance by EU carriers to interline their delayed passengers onto other carriers and, the larger problem is that once the deadline has passed for a Type 1,2, or 3 flight, there is less than no incentive to do anything for a stranded passenger. That is why an EU carrier will always help a passenger at 2-1/2 hours before one at 5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.