Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

First time on Ryanair - when do they close boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

Flying FR for the first time, from CGN to STN, on a late evening flight.

No luggage, boarding pass already on my phone, fast track at security, paid highest fare - so basically I cut out all factors that could slow me down. Remaining question: when do they close the boarding gate? Not the "we recommend to be at the airport x hours before departure" time (where you end up wasting time watching the paint dry on the walls) but the time after which they no longer scan boarding passes and don't let people through the gate anymore? I'll build in some buffer, but I'd need to know whether I have to add my buffer to "departure-10 minutes" or to "departure-30 minutes".

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:51 pm

From their website:

The boarding gate closes strictly 20 minutes before the scheduled flight departure time. Passengers who arrive late will not be permitted to board the plane.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Flying FR for the first time, from CGN to STN, on a late evening flight.

No luggage, boarding pass already on my phone, fast track at security, paid highest fare - so basically I cut out all factors that could slow me down. Remaining question: when do they close the boarding gate? Not the "we recommend to be at the airport x hours before departure" time (where you end up wasting time watching the paint dry on the walls) but the time after which they no longer scan boarding passes and don't let people through the gate anymore? I'll build in some buffer, but I'd need to know whether I have to add my buffer to "departure-10 minutes" or to "departure-30 minutes".

Thanks!
The gate closure time is printed on the boarding pass. From memory, I seem to recall 30 minutes being the official gate closure time but I do not think I have ever come across a Ryanair flight that was fully boarded at that stage (more often than not, this is roughly when they start boarding).

[edit]it seems like ft101 has more recent and reliable information on the official cut-off point.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks guys, this is helpful.

Being less familiar with FR I had not found that information on their website.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Being less familiar with FR I had not found that information on their website.
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...q-overview#0-8
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
At STN, and presumably elsewhere, it is strictly enforced. Even with fast track you will need at least an hour before departure to get through STN. It can get very busy.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
At LIS they close it at T-30. All the "boarded" pax then wait in a corral past the BP scanner while arriving pax disembark.
In other airports the setup is similar. The only place where this is different is airports like HAM where they use jetways.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Well... it depends. For example in STN they go probably by the book.
In other cases it might be a bit different. The only goal for them is to get the aircraft back into the air as soon as possible. Should there be any delays, it's gonna get costly for the local airport / GH.

So lets say the aircraft arrives 20 minutes before the ETD. In that case the boarding might start the pre-boarding (boarding pass check) process 20 minutes earlier and finish it as soon as possible. Lets say there are 184 pax boarded of the 189. All the missing pax have no checked-in luggage. I'm not 100% sure they would wait for the missing 5 for the 20 minutes they now have for spare. 25 minutes turnover time leaves no space for error or waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.