Wiki Posts
Search

Georgian Airways A9

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A G, United MP Premier 1K
Georgian Airways A9

Hope I'm in the right forum... apologies if not.

I'll be taking my first of many work trips to Georgia in a few weeks and I see there are very few airlines flying into the country. TK and Georgian Airways (A9) seem to have the most flights to European hubs. I love the TK lounge in IST but don't care for their safety culture (unfortunately, I have researched it too well). That mostly leaves Georgian... Does anyone know much about them? Should I hold out for the bigger airlines with much more inconvenient schedules? Or is Georgian worth a try? Any experiences/reviews?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
You have plenty of choice , not only TK and A9
Old May 17, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
You have plenty of choice , not only TK and A9
Please tell me more! All the European airlines (LH, KLM, OS) I see are code share flights on A9. There is Qatar but the Doha connection is rough. I tried looking at the Tbilisi airport schedule but without luck.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:14 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
LO, LH, A3 also fly to TBS.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:34 am

As well as SU, S7 & PS, and by the look of things you can even (self)connect in TLV
You didn't specify your airport of origin, which might help in helping you out with other options.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
BT flies there as well.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
PS also , and as far as i know thats the only airline to the west which doesnt fly only in the middle of the night
Old May 22, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! My departure airport is IAD (or BWI).

Booked on LH with an ungodly layover in MUC but hoping to check out their sleep pods/napcabs.

No reviews on Georgian from anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

For anyone else traveling to the Caucuses and preferring European airlines (other than AF and SU), I've been managing to stay on LH and OS for flights to Tbilisi and Yerevan respectively, but the schedules are not great. I have been able to get a work day in during the layover though, so not a total waste of time.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:06 am

Have been there on SU, S7 and A9. Business is better than any european no matter which one you pick. Short economy is always short economy. Safety is good enough for all 3.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:39 am

I travelled on Georgian LGW-TBS-LGW recently, in economy. They were the only airline to fly the route direct. I believe they will be offering direct flights to several other European destinations from late March.

The aircraft was an Embraer 190. The seating configuration is 2-2, so no worries about middle seats.

LGW-TBS was an overnight flight, TBS-LGW evening. The Embraer doesn't seem to do 787-style mood lighting, just on or off. So the cabin was very dark on the overnight flight, causing occasional confusion when passengers left and returned to their seats. Nothing too awful though.

A marginally edible meal was served. There is no IFE. Some of the announcements were a bit rushed, and the safety demonstration seemed a long way from my seat.

The FAs were pleassnt enough, if not super-smiley.

Overall, it was an OK no-frills flight. Five hours is perhaps about the maximum viable duration for a no-frills service. I guess that, if you flew with Turkish or Lufthansa, you'd receive somewhat better service, but you'd have a stop en route. That's a trade-off. Each to their own.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Where to credit?

I have have a fare class c from ams to tbs. Wheretocredit.com doesn't even list a9. My flight, by the way a 737, has a code share with kl. I've looked at skypeso and flying blue both only credit to kl operated by one of skyteam, so it won't be possible.

a9 doesn't seem to have any of its own ffp, it has a list of partners, I checked quickly with az, su, etc doesn't look like possible to earn miles unless a loophole to earn as a kl codeshare if it's ev3n possible. Does anybody know?

Their j seats seem to be comfortable 2-2, and their catering offering seems interesting with Georgian flavor. Any experiences?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by maverikbc
I have have a fare class c from ams to tbs. Wheretocredit.com doesn't even list a9. My flight, by the way a 737, has a code share with kl. I've looked at skypeso and flying blue both only credit to kl operated by one of skyteam, so it won't be possible.

a9 doesn't seem to have any of its own ffp, it has a list of partners, I checked quickly with az, su, etc doesn't look like possible to earn miles unless a loophole to earn as a kl codeshare if it's ev3n possible. Does anybody know?

Their j seats seem to be comfortable 2-2, and their catering offering seems interesting with Georgian flavor. Any experiences?
No experience of Georgian, but I suspect the only way to earn miles from this flight is in Flying Blue through the KL codeshare.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Philodemus
I travelled on Georgian LGW-TBS-LGW recently, in economy. They were the only airline to fly the route direct. I believe they will be offering direct flights to several other European destinations from late March.

The aircraft was an Embraer 190. The seating configuration is 2-2, so no worries about middle seats.

LGW-TBS was an overnight flight, TBS-LGW evening. The Embraer doesn't seem to do 787-style mood lighting, just on or off. So the cabin was very dark on the overnight flight, causing occasional confusion when passengers left and returned to their seats. Nothing too awful though.

A marginally edible meal was served. There is no IFE. Some of the announcements were a bit rushed, and the safety demonstration seemed a long way from my seat.

The FAs were pleassnt enough, if not super-smiley.

Overall, it was an OK no-frills flight. Five hours is perhaps about the maximum viable duration for a no-frills service. I guess that, if you flew with Turkish or Lufthansa, you'd receive somewhat better service, but you'd have a stop en route. That's a trade-off. Each to their own.

Hope that helps.
Thanks @Philodermus - I think that may be the first review of A9 on this site!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.