Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Booking a reward flight with Tap Victoria Miles in Star Alliance companies

Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance

Hi guys, I'm here seeking help because I´m a little frustrated with my frequent flyer program regarding flight availability on reward tickets in other Star Alliance partners.

I´m currently a Tap Victoria Gold member which translates to Star Alliance Gold, but everytime I try to book a reward ticket on Star Alliance partner on premium classes I'm told there is no availability...For instance I´ve tried Tokyo to Melbourne on ANA, i´ve tried Rome to Bangkok on Thai, Iˋve tried Frankfurt- New York on Singapore Airlines, always giving a wide range of dates but always unsuccessfully, the only exception was a United flight between Hong Kong and Singapore on Business.

Can anyone tell me if simply my frequent flyer program stinks or if I'm doing something wrong?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
your FFP sucks (evidence - can you point out on Victoria's website the miles required for your proposed awards?)

but you can help yourself by doing some homework
Try this (login//password is the same as FT)
https://awardnexus.com/user/login?url=%2F

Go to <Find Awards>
Select your dates and routing, and class of service.
Then click on the Star Alliance (Ana) tickbox
The outcome should be the availability that most *A FFP should see available to ticket as award.
Then ring Victoria and spoon feed them the routing you've found.

Last one: Singapore in premium classes is somewhat of a unicorn. Typically only available via their FFP Krisflyer (random events of such availability in other FFP have been reported)

Last edited by GBM.flights; Mar 16, 2017 at 6:11 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
You´re absolutely right about the award chart for Star Alliance reward flights, I´ve actually sent them a few e-mails to try to obtain a chart with that information, but their response is always the same, there is none available and they are not thinking about creating one.

I just keep getting more frustrated with Tap but unfortunately 90% of my travel is in their planes and crediting on other programs like Miles&More is not an option because most fares only get the minimum there...

Thanks about the info on the award availability, I was not aware that was one way.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Use the United or the ANA site to find availability, then try booking through TP and feed them the flight numbers if you have to.

I also fly TP medium-haul and find their FFP to be completely useless. If you're based in TER, you have even fewer options than me.

Bem vindo ao mundo da mediocridade da TAP!
Old May 20, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by milfweed20
You´re absolutely right about the award chart for Star Alliance reward flights, I´ve actually sent them a few e-mails to try to obtain a chart with that information, but their response is always the same, there is none available and they are not thinking about creating one.

I just keep getting more frustrated with Tap but unfortunately 90% of my travel is in their planes and crediting on other programs like Miles&More is not an option because most fares only get the minimum there...

Thanks about the info on the award availability, I was not aware that was one way.
You can find the award chart at the end of this post (it also highlights TAP's best redemptions):
http://www.milhasedestinos.com.br/me...-tap-victoria/
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
your FFP sucks (evidence - can you point out on Victoria's website the miles required for your proposed awards?)

but you can help yourself by doing some homework
Try this (login//password is the same as FT)
https://awardnexus.com/user/login?url=%2F

Go to <Find Awards>
Select your dates and routing, and class of service.
Then click on the Star Alliance (Ana) tickbox
The outcome should be the availability that most *A FFP should see available to ticket as award.
Then ring Victoria and spoon feed them the routing you've found.

Last one: Singapore in premium classes is somewhat of a unicorn. Typically only available via their FFP Krisflyer (random events of such availability in other FFP have been reported)
This is great and had somehow escaped me. Until now, I have always been using the ANA tool to research *Alliance award availability. Thanks for this, I will check it out.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:49 am

Star Alliance award flights can have a stopover on a one-way? That's what I understand from the rules. Am I correct? Seems too good to be true (especially as TAP flights don't seem to allow a stopover?). Can anyone confirm or correct me?

How about YQ on Star Alliance flights? Is YQ similar to Miles & More (high) or more like United or even Lifemiles? Or in the middle like Krisflyer?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by broland
You can find the award chart at the end of this post (it also highlights TAP's best redemptions):
Melhores Resgates do TAP Victoria ? Milhas & Destinos
Thanks a lot, great resource (albeit my Portuguese is not that great

Emirates awards on Victoria: are one-way awards possible? Is the availability the same as displayed on the Qantas website?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Thanks a lot, great resource (albeit my Portuguese is not that great

Emirates awards on Victoria: are one-way awards possible? Is the availability the same as displayed on the Qantas website?

Thanks in advance!
Bump
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Star Alliance award flights can have a stopover on a one-way? That's what I understand from the rules. Am I correct? Seems too good to be true (especially as TAP flights don't seem to allow a stopover?). Can anyone confirm or correct me?

How about YQ on Star Alliance flights? Is YQ similar to Miles & More (high) or more like United or even Lifemiles? Or in the middle like Krisflyer?

Thanks in advance!
Bump
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:11 am

Looks like the Star Alliance award chart just got totally gutted in a terrible devaluation. I guess I don't need to bother with TAP Victoria anymore

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.