Search

Denied compensation [U2] for delay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Denied compensation [U2] for delay

Hi,

We checked in for our flight and got on a plane when the pilot accidentally cause the tuck car to get stucked under the plane. After this we had to get off and wait for information. After a few hours we were told by EasyJet our flight is being delayed by 26 hours. We weren't given any additional information on what are our rights except being told there is accommodation arranged at the airport.

As we were only travelling for the weekend it would mean we would be going into our destination for less than 20 hours. We called up the airline and asked about the possibility of changing flights to another date. We were told this isn't for free unless the flight is cancelled. We asked about a refund and were told we can get this.

We submitted both expenses claim for our first night in hotel which we still got charged and our train tickets to and from airport. We also submitted the compensation form.

The response given to expenses was we aren't getting it as apparently they arranged the transport (this isn't true - there was no announcement regarding this and the stuff didn't mentioned anything like when we talked to them).

To our compensation claim we were told we aren only allowed this if we actually got on the delayed flight. However the EU regulation states if the flight is delayed for over 5 hours we have a right to cancel the flight. Moreover any delays over three hours are treated as cancels in relation to the compensation.

I have looked through the regulation from every side I can't see a mention that we would have to get on the flight?? Moreover the airline didn't nothing to inform us about our rights, while the regulation says it's an obligation.

If we were told we weren't allowed to claim if we don't get on the flight we would still be in plus of Ł230 if the compensation was given and we used it to cover for the hotel charge and the flight.

I really don't understand how this is a rightful practice.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk sasha__el. We've split your post from this thread as yours involves a specific carrier [U2].

Please follow the redirect as we move your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please follow the discussion in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-26-hours.html thread.

Prospero
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.