Wiki Posts
Search

WOW SFO KEF Delay Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

WOW SFO KEF Delay Compensation

Hello,

WOW162 from SFO to KEF has a 24 hour delay due to 'technical problems' this morning (22 September 2016). As this flight is departing from the US, can we still claim for 261/2004 compensation?
Has anyone had any luck getting WOW to book them on a competitors flight?

Not the greatest start to a vacation. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by StrandedinSLC
Hello,

WOW162 from SFO to KEF has a 24 hour delay due to 'technical problems' this morning (22 September 2016). As this flight is departing from the US, can we still claim for 261/2004 compensation?
Has anyone had any luck getting WOW to book them on a competitors flight?

Not the greatest start to a vacation. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.
WOW is an Icelandic airline so I doubt EU rules apply. 261/2004 only applies to EU and EEC airlines, plus flights to the EU.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:13 am

Iceland is a member of the EEA (like Norway) and regulation 261/2004 applies to Icelandic airlines.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
According to http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm:

departing from any airport situated in the EU, or
arriving in the EU with an EU carrier or one from Iceland, Norway or Switzerland

So a flight from SFO to KEF would not be covered the way that I read it, while a flight from KEF to LHR would be covered.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:53 am

Arriving in Iceland, Norway or Switzerland is equivalent to arriving in the EU. Same rights apply. The Icelandic Transport Authority has an information page in English here, although it is lacking in details. Arriving in Iceland on an Icelandic airline gives you the exact same rights as arriving in the EU on an EU-based airline. As I understand it, you have the right to €600 payment in compensation if the delay exceeds four hours. If the delay exceeds five hours you have the right to a refund for your ticket if you choose not to use it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
My brother and his girlfriend got their 600 for >24 delay on WOW BOS-KEF-LON. They filed and it took a couple months but they got it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight.
Will file and report back in 6 months..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.