Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CX

Hello everyone,

I am planning on travelling on TAP (intra-Europe) on their Economy Discount ticket (the hand baggage only fare), but I couldn't work out on their website whether I would still be eligible for the following (I am Star Alliance Gold):

1) Free seat allocation at time of booking (including exit row)
2) Lounge access for myself and my partner travelling on the same PNR and flight
3) Any free/extra luggage to check in

Tried looking up the answers on TAP website with no luck, and their call centre has a massively long wait.. Many thanks in advance for your help!^
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: A3
@bacx

Last weekend tried to find out almost the same and the outcome is as follows:
- no advanced seat selection at all,
- additional piece of check-in luggage is tricky part. It means - I called TAP customer service, call duration was 40 minutes (20 minutes spent on hold) - I was told that because of change of tariff structure they are unable to give me an answer. Agent suggested contacting TAP Victoria FF Team, what I did, but haven't received any answer. Support team on Facebook confirmed I can take one additional piece of luggage though.

About lounge access I don't think can be an issue.

Last edited by nieszprot; Sep 12, 2016 at 2:53 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bacx
Hello everyone,

I am planning on travelling on TAP (intra-Europe) on their Economy Discount ticket (the hand baggage only fare), but I couldn't work out on their website whether I would still be eligible for the following (I am Star Alliance Gold):

2) Lounge access for myself and my partner travelling on the same PNR and flight

Tried looking up the answers on TAP website with no luck, and their call centre has a massively long wait.. Many thanks in advance for your help!^
Flew last month MAD-LIS on the cheapest fare bucket in Y. In my experience I received full *G benefits. No problem checking a bag (priority tagged) in Madrid and was able to select a seat at time of booking (although used Chase Ultimate awards portal to book so could be an outlier). I would think one could select a seat within 24hrs. Lounge access no issues. At the gate received an op-up to biz (first time ever flying TP) - nice bonus.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by bacx
Hello everyone,

1. Depends on your fare class. The lowest don't allow it. Check-in opens 36 hours prior to departure. If you book through an OTA you may have a better chance of selecting your seat at the time of booking than on TP's website after for low fare classes.
2. Yes. Same PNR or not doesn't matter.
3. 1-2 bags x 20 kg, depending on the fare.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:51 pm

so is it the consensus that if one purchases the "discount" TAP flight with no baggage allowance on an intra-europe ticket, a Star Gold member check one bag for free?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Would anybody know how what fare codes go along with Discount, Basic, and Classic, respectively?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
chances of getting additional kids into LIS lounge as *G

Connecting through LIS next week, with the family on a TP itin in Y. We have a 3 hour layover so would be great to use the lounge - anyone have any experience of getting kids (6 and 8) into lounge in addition to an adult guest?

Not expecting, but hoping - I love those pastais de nata.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by AznMadSci
Would anybody know how what fare codes go along with Discount, Basic, and Classic, respectively?
They used to vary based on the O & D.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Connecting through LIS next week, with the family on a TP itin in Y. We have a 3 hour layover so would be great to use the lounge - anyone have any experience of getting kids (6 and 8) into lounge in addition to an adult guest?

Not expecting, but hoping - I love those pastais de nata.
Don't expect pasteis de nata in the lounge. It'll be up to the lounge operator whether or not to let kids in for free. YMMV.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Palal
Don't expect pasteis de nata in the lounge. It'll be up to the lounge operator whether or not to let kids in for free. YMMV.
Really - no pasteis de nata? And I appreciate that getting the kids into the lounge is not required, and will be up to the lounge agent... was wondering what experiences people have had.

EDIT TO ADD: TAP use the ANA (airport operator) lounge in LIS, which is also pay per use, and the lounge agent was utterly uninterested in letting me take in more than my regulation one guest, instead pointing out that I could pay €15 each for the kids to enter. Since it's possible to take in extras for money, I think it v v unlikely that there would ever be any leniency on lounge entrance. Also, they had pasteis de nata!
tmac100 likes this.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Oct 30, 2016 at 7:11 am Reason: adding actual experience
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:24 am

They lost my (small beer) business because the information is not made clear, there is no email contact and the wait time for a customer service call is ludicrous. Pity, I was quite keen to try them but seriously, who could be bothered with all their crazy hurdles to get a simple answer ( which I could have got from reading this thread had I seem it in time).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by AznMadSci
E was my discount ticket, otherwise I don't know. *G card gave me exit row seat at check-in. Meal included in shorthaul EU flight too, which ended me very happy on a cheapo ticket. Otherwise the plane was awfully old crappy cramped hard product, I was lucky to grab that extra leg room.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
E was my discount ticket, otherwise I don't know. *G card gave me exit row seat at check-in. Meal included in shorthaul EU flight too, which ended me very happy on a cheapo ticket. Otherwise the plane was awfully old crappy cramped hard product, I was lucky to grab that extra leg room.
Does it matter which airline you credit the miles?

I recently flew in "basic" and in A3 M&B my booking classes (P & T) were mapped to A (which for A3 is 50%). Is it safe to assume that "discount" is E and "basic" is A?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any news on luggage allowance on hand luggage only tickets with Star Gold status? Flying on Friday and would need a suitcase.

And I have a couple of tickets here, and was not able to select seats for free yet (online check-in is not open)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:34 pm

In my recent flights you get the extra allowance with Star Gold.
Seat selection was not possible though, up until check-in (but am not sure if that's a benefit)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.