Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mmff
Interesting. How far in advance can you do this? T-3?
That has been my experience.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Take this with you:

Attachment 28626
Very helpful djjaguar64, thanks!

Regarding FFP, as others in this thread have pointed, I was not able to introduce my M&M number when booking but now, through "Manage my bookings", it has been OK ^
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by more4less
Very helpful djjaguar64, thanks!

Regarding FFP, as others in this thread have pointed, I was not able to introduce my M&M number when booking but now, through "Manage my bookings", it has been OK ^
Not a problem I am glad it helped. ^ ^
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Does anyone know if *G gets you the green way/fast track when flying TP out of Portugal?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Yes fast lane will be on your BP.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Yes fast lane will be on your BP.
great thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The T-3 seat "bug" is actually an official feature.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Interesting, TAP now has this link for luggage allowance calculation:

http://book.flytap.com/bagsim/BaggageStart.aspx?_l=en

I never saw this link prior to my trip. So according to this link Star Gold with Discount Tickets get 1 bag only!!!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the info on this thread, managed to get the last remaining exit seat at T-3h for my flight today ^

And on my economy discount (booking class E?) ticket I was allowed 1 item of luggage for free, none with the ticket and one with *G
Old May 4, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
They also told me that a random seat will be assigned during check-in which however can be changed (by paying)
This is what makes zero sense to me
Old May 4, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
This is what makes zero sense to me
why? they get more from people who want to choose their seat and for those that don't - TP gets to optimize the seating. So far I've been lucky to get mostly aisles.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Palal
why? they get more €€ from people who want to choose their seat and for those that don't - TP gets to optimize the seating. So far I've been lucky to get mostly aisles.
I get selection in advance, but it's a free-for-all at OLCI for competitors. I don't have a favourite seat, but I do always want a window. On Swiss, I am 99% guaranteed this at OLCI.
But TP have just assigned me (*G) 2 middle seats on an upcoming flight, and my travel companion (zero status) two aisles... definitely a +1 for LX over TP.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
I get selection in advance, but it's a free-for-all at OLCI for competitors. I don't have a favourite seat, but I do always want a window. On Swiss, I am 99% guaranteed this at OLCI.
But TP have just assigned me (*G) 2 middle seats on an upcoming flight, and my travel companion (zero status) two aisles... definitely a +1 for LX over TP.
I don't like the way it works at TP, but I can understand why they're doing it. Also, they don't compete much with LX.

It would be nice if *G got free selection at OLCI though. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:27 pm

Okay peeps, here is my experience on several TP flights last month:

What we already knew:
You have to pay for a seat, even if you are *A gold. T-3 from the flight all seats are available and you can play around.

When you check-in, you get assigned to a random seat indeed but here is what you can do:

* Wait for T-3 and change your seat then

* Select a seat you would like (even exit rows or preferred seats) and then just don't pay for it. This way, as reported before, you won't be able to change back to your free selected seat (even if you cancel check-in and start over, the system will remember your seat and will ask for charge). You cannot get a boarding pass but for the system you are checked in and the payment is pending (but your seats are blocked). So then, you can wait for T-3 and then you will be able to select your (previously overcharged) seats! Amazing, huh?

Wondrous thing of this system is that it somehow even works for connecting flights: So I had a JFK-LIS-BRU flight, and I did the above trick. T-3 I was at the airport and could select all seats on JFK-LIS but not for LIS-BRU. Went at the check-in desk and agents were really puzzled around this... What they finally did, is cancel check-in and try it again on their system and as you might have guessed, the system assigned me the seat that I had already "selected" free of charge of course.

Other things to note:
* The ponte-aerea OPO-LIS in not applicable to above rules: Seat pre-selection is not available and during check-in you can select any seat. Also, you can hop on an earlier flight if you arrive at the airport.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
That's another trick which will stop working soon now it's been reported. Doh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.