Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Have you considered bidding for an upgrade?

In my [limited] experience, they ram the J cabin comletely full with upgraders!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Euro J isn't worth it, though I have been spammed with the offer. On my flight it looks like J is only one row.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Yes, no seat allocation. I spoke to TAP and the agent told me that the system allocates the seat and that if you like change it at OLCI. Seats can only be selected by their Victoria Gold members. As per luggage I was told by TAP twitter that Star Gold gets 2 pieces regardless of fare type.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I can understand a discount fare does not allow advanced seat selection, however even during check-in I could not change my seat, even within the same category! Now stuck in a middle seat which is pretty crap as *G.
What are the chances they allow an exit row seat or comfort seat for free at the airport?
Thats interesting, even during OLCI you cannot change seats?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just out of curiosity I went into my booking, this was an award booking from ZRH to LIS made with Lifemiles. I was able to select 2 seats without any cost. Now we have a paid booking as well from LIS to VLC and for that flight which is an ATR all seats are blocked maybe its too early.

Name:  1-27-2017 9-09-29 AM.jpg
Views: 4834
Size:  33.2 KB
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thats interesting, even during OLCI you cannot change seats?
Indeed, we cannot change the pre-assigned seats unless we pay.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I can understand a discount fare does not allow advanced seat selection, however even during check-in I could not change my seat, even within the same category! Now stuck in a middle seat which is pretty crap as *G.
What are the chances they allow an exit row seat or comfort seat for free at the airport?
I think your chances are low. As far as my experience with TAP, even flying in J + *G, they don't give a damn about your status or cabin especially the ground staff - they will not be rude, but they will not do anything out of what is written on paper.

I guess better pray that the flight is full and you can ask very nice during check-in for the comfort or exit row seat. And if the flight is not full, I guess you can talk to a senior cabin staff when you board if you can (I know - play a bit of DYKWIA)

Cheers!

Cheers!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:14 pm

To come back about this issue; I kept checking KVS and noticed that at T-3h from departure, all seats were de-blocked and without charge, including the premium ones. That way I was able to get exit row seats on the first flight (new config, very nice) and comfort seats on the way back (old config).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're flying on a star alliance award can you bid for the J seats? The route is ZRH to LIS.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ECONOMY: Victoria Gold or Star Alliance Gold(1) + 1 item up to 23kg

(1) Victoria Gold (or Star Alliance Gold) travelling with BRAND DISCOUNT will be permitted 1 extra piece up to 23 kg/ 50 lbs

I recalled asking this question before, so this means Star Alliance Gold is allowed 2 bags, thats what +1 means.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:45 am

ECONOMY: Victoria Gold or Star Alliance Gold(1) + 1 item up to 23kg

(1) Victoria Gold (or Star Alliance Gold) travelling with BRAND DISCOUNT will be permitted 1 extra piece up to 23 kg/ 50 lbs

I recalled asking this question before, so this means Star Alliance Gold is allowed 2 bags, thats what +1 means.
I think it depends on your Econ. fare class, cheapest ones don't include ANY checked luggage at all = *A Gold gets +1 = total of 1

My upcoming flights MAD-LIS, LIS-BCN are all 0 checked bags, so I plan to use my *A Gold to check my +1 bags
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think it depends on your Econ. fare class, cheapest ones don't include ANY checked luggage at all = *A Gold gets +1 = total of 1

My upcoming flights MAD-LIS, LIS-BCN are all 0 checked bags, so I plan to use my *A Gold to check my +1 bags
Jerry, TAP told me its 2 bags for Star Gold by twitter after they looked at my PNR. I bought the Discount fare.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So +1 means just that +1.

WITHIN EUROPE - the cheapest TAP fares come with 0 bags. Adding *G adds 1 bag.
TATL to the US is 1 bag. *G adds another => 1+1 = 2
Brazil is 2 bags *G adds another 2+1 = 3
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
So +1 means just that +1.

WITHIN EUROPE - the cheapest TAP fares come with 0 bags. Adding *G adds 1 bag.
TATL to the US is 1 bag. *G adds another => 1+1 = 2
Brazil is 2 bags *G adds another 2+1 = 3

Hi djjaguar64,
on the ticket you have the allowance of 1 piece of luggage (up to 23jgs). For being a Star Alliance Gold Member, you have the right to travel with an additional one (up to 23 kgs as well).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:48 am

Hi djjaguar64,
on the ticket you have the allowance of 1 piece of luggage (up to 23jgs). For being a Star Alliance Gold Member, you have the right to travel with an additional one (up to 23 kgs as well).
so yes, 1+1 = 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.