Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Disappearing benefits of Saga Gold Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold

I've been an Icelandair Saga Gold Card holder for many years. One of the benefits has always been 2 free nights an an Icelandair Hotel, subject to availability.

I checked my Icelandair account today, and that benefit is now gone. There is an offer of 2 nights at a Radisson in the US, but that was there before, in addition to the Icelandair hotel offer.

The main benefit of this card has always been upgrades, but these have become harder to obtain. Just a few years ago, an upgrade was almost a certainty - no more. And just a few years ago, FI was usually the cheapest option for a flight from SEA to Europe, and it no longer is.

Things do change. Tourism to Iceland has exploded the past few years, resulting in fewer open seats and higher fares. Which is good for FI.

If you are a Saga Gold Card holder, and you have alternative carriers for the trips you fly, do you still plan to fly FI enough to maintain your gold status?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
I am not a Saga gold member but I always travel FI to Iceland and often they are also the cheapest from the UK to Canada and USA

Even if the flight was a bit more expensive, I enjoy flying FI as we equate it to starting our holiday in Iceland - things may change however when we move there in the future
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I do actually choose to fly with them just enough in paid Saga Class (on business trips) to maintain my Gold status. It does not take that many transatlantic crossings.

I do it essentially to get a free spouse Gold card which then enables the whole family (4) to benefit from access to their lounges - especially in Keflavik and Boston - when we fly for personal reasons. I have found the lounge in Keflavik less crowded on recent trips than it was last summer - as strange as that may sound. I do however miss the Virgin Atlantic lounge in Boston - they now use the much less desirable Air France lounge at Logan.

I do also like the automatic upgrades although we cant use them much since we normally travel as a family when flying economy.

All frequent flyer programs are being devalued and I do not think Icelandair is the worst culprit in that respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.