TAP Business Class Questions

Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
TAP Business Class Questions

I am flying TAP for the first time later this summer EWR-LIS-GVA-OPO-EWR and just had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.
  • Wanted to confirm that there is no need to claim and re-check bags in LIS.
  • Do we need to get lounge invites upon arrival in LIS and OPO (transfer desk) or is the onward boarding pass sufficient for entry?
  • Is transfer at LIS and OPO relatively painless?
  • Is there priority security lane for TAP at EWR and LIS?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
parital answers

Is transfer at LIS and OPO relatively painless?

I suspect your mileage may vary. I had a sixty minute wait to get through immigration as a US passport holder. Very frustrating. No premium line. They were calling people with close connections to the front of the line.

Is there priority security lane for TAP at EWR and LIS?

I imagine there is at EWR (there was at BOS, even though the JetBlue employee tried to tell me the line wasn't for TAP, there was a sign indicating it was for TAP business).

In Lisbon I did not see a priority line.

I didn't check any luggage so cannot confirm whether you need to reclaim or not, but I believe the security line for transfers was before the baggage belts so imagine things get checked through.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by MichaelJFK
I am flying TAP for the first time later this summer EWR-LIS-GVA-OPO-EWR and just had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.
  • Wanted to confirm that there is no need to claim and re-check bags in LIS.
  • Do we need to get lounge invites upon arrival in LIS and OPO (transfer desk) or is the onward boarding pass sufficient for entry?
  • Is transfer at LIS and OPO relatively painless?
  • Is there priority security lane for TAP at EWR and LIS?

Thanks in advance.
1. No need to re-check/re-claim
2. No, just go to the lounge and show them the BP.
3. Yes
4. No idea.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses -- appreciate it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
1. No need to re-check/re-claim
2. No, just go to the lounge and show them the BP.
3. Yes
4. No idea.
2 - The ANA lounge used by TAP in LIS is actually quite pleasant, with good runway views, a good selection of beverages and edible sandwiches. A TAP business class BP is sufficient for entry.
4 - I'm not sure about transfers, but for LIS originating passengers the "Green Line" is open to TAP business class passengers (oddly, it is not open to BA pax who have BPs printed in LIS, but is for those who have mobile BPs or printed PDFs).
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: LH Sen
In case you haven't flown yet:

2 - *G will also get you in the lounges, as long as you show your FF number. While the lounge at LIS is indeed pleasant, I find the one in OPO boring: it is quite small, and if you like something decent to eat you are better off to any of the restaurants in the terminal.

3 - Transfer at LIS/OPO is smooth; normally you will only need to clear immigration. In my experience, transfers at OPO are limited, so the only risk is that you get distracted by the crowd going to claim their baggage and you miss the signs to transfers.
The lounge at OPO is ~30m walk before the immigration counters, they announce the flights (unlike LIS), and immigration is normally a breeze. Past immigration you will only see a caf and a small duty free shop, so I would recommend staying on the main side of the terminal for as long as possible.

4 - Yes, there are priority lanes for BC or *G flying TAP, at both LIS/OPO.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you yapas -- very helpful, particularly the OPO lounge information. I am flying business through to GVA and back so guessing that lounge access will not be an issue with a business class boarding pass after transferring.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:40 am

I actually like the lounge in OPO. Sure, the food isn't great, but the balcony with the view of the terminal is nice.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Am trying to decide if it is worth the small cash outlay to bid for an upgrade on ZRH-LIS. Am in Y now...does TP serve meals in Y on this route? Free wine or beer? I know when I flew WAW-LIS a few years ago, it was a full hot meal, which was quite pleasant. Of course, it's not worth 80 euros for a cheap business class meal, but it might be nice if there's no meal/drinks in economy anyway and to have the extra space. Anyone know about TP Y service on dinnertime flights of this length?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:41 pm

TP will serve either a sandwich or a hot meal in Y, depending on the time of day. The dimensions of each are not great, but it'll keep you fed. Free wine and beer.

The biz class meal is quite nice even on medium-haul, but I would not pay 80€ for it.

I'd expect something like this on this route in Y for a dinnertime flight.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
In case you still haven't flown yet...

The priority security line for TAP at EWR is only really semi-priority. It gets you to the head of the line to have your boarding pass and ID checked by TSA, but then there can still be a fairly decent line after that to go through the actual security check.
And if you show up too early before your flight (eg around the time the lounge opens), the priority security line won't be open yet. But then again, the regular security line shouldn't be crowded at that point.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks WormGod -- very helpful.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have flights in November between LIS & LHR in business and the meals on both flights are listed as "snacks". Can anyone shed some light on what that means in the TAP world? TIA.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Palal
TP will serve either a sandwich or a hot meal in Y, depending on the time of day. The dimensions of each are not great, but it'll keep you fed. Free wine and beer.

The biz class meal is quite nice even on medium-haul, but I would not pay 80 for it.

I'd expect something like this on this route in Y for a dinnertime flight.
Thank you! Just when you think Y meals cannot get any smaller!! It's better than nothing I suppose.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have flights in November between LIS & LHR in business and the meals on both flights are listed as "snacks". Can anyone shed some light on what that means in the TAP world? TIA.
from here...
"Light meals composed of a selection of cold meats , fresh fruit and sweet dessert."

I remember getting one of these at some point and feeling a bit disappointed, when I was expecting a full meal.

The above page also has all the meal times and menus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.