Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Invoice from Norwegian for outstanding amount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invoice from Norwegian for outstanding amount

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by dmitrijsadlo
Please do not blame Norwegian airline but the Norwegian government! As always, governments like to screw people up by retroactive charges.

I would do nothing and let Norwegian airline sort things out with the gov't.
Pretty much.

The Norwegian gouvernment must have totally lost the plot. Retroactively increasing a tax, yeah, right.. if they had any common sense, they would only increase a tax on any future bookings. Or in fact not increase taxes but rather cut spendings.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
As others have said, just ignore it. And, wow, if a poorly-implemented USD 10 / EUR 9 charge is enough to dissuade you from returning to one of the world's most incredible countries, then the loss is all yours.

Welcome to FT, btw.
Very well said. Just like no airline has ever made one pay for baggage before.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Collection of additional taxes after purchase of the ticket is nothing unusual. I remember having to pay up at checkin in the 90s when govt regulations changed. There was nothing you could do about it.
However, EU consumer protection is a total different game today so you can't compare todays legal system with something 20ys ago.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:53 am

Norway is not in the EU. It may have implemented some legislation voluntarily though.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Two points are confusing me here:

1. What's this about a retroactive tax? According to the linked page (dated 20 May 16) it was passed in December 2015, to take effect 1 Apr 16, and then postponed to 1 Jun 16. The airline might be trying to collect it retroactively (not a good PR move), but I don't see that the government has imposed it retroactively.

2. VAT on a tax? That does seem strange!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by scibuff
Just received an email that because of the new air passenger taxes introduced by Norwegian Parliament (retroactively for all flights from June 1, 2016) I should pay 80 NOK (plus 8 NOK VAT) by August 1 (if I don't pay they will sent an invoice and an additional charge of 1 EUR will apply = the cost of the invoice).

From what I read about the situation, SAS decided not to send the bill to people travelling after 1 June who have bought their ticket before that date, but apparently DY is not SAS.

Anyone knows which EU/EEA consumer protection law/rules would apply in this situation?

p.s. I purchase the tickets in March. the travel dates with 10JUN-15JUN
Considering that you are not based in Norway (from your location) I would certainly not pay it. I would take the letter, fold it into a nice airplane and throw it out the window.

And if they charge your credit card (which, judging fomr the thread, they are not allowed to do) immediately call your bank and get that cancelled. What are they going to do? Ban you from flying norwegian ever again? Ban you from Norway? That'd cost them much more revenue in the end.

All they can do is ask you to pretty please pay up voluntarily.

Last edited by Bakpapier; Jul 12, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by dliesse
Two points are confusing me here:

1. What's this about a retroactive tax? According to the linked page (dated 20 May 16) it was passed in December 2015, to take effect 1 Apr 16, and then postponed to 1 Jun 16. The airline might be trying to collect it retroactively (not a good PR move), but I don't see that the government has imposed it retroactively.

2. VAT on a tax? That does seem strange!
VAT is collected on taxes here all the time. VAT is collected over the total gasoline price, for example, a large part of which is already a tax.

Taxes over taxes, welcome to Europe.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:05 pm

I paid the tax, because I'm flying in November and I'm worried they would have otherwise cancelled the ticket. It's not a huge amount of money, significant against the cost of the ticket mind you, but there you go.

Could they have cancelled the ticket, if I hadn't really paid in full for it?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dmitrijsadlo
Norway is not in the EU. It may have implemented some legislation voluntarily though.
It has to implement (almost?) all EU regulations in order to obtain/retain access to the single market and, as another example, to be a party to the various EU open skies treaties.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaronhowe78
Could they have cancelled the ticket, if I hadn't really paid in full for it?
Of course not. But they could have forced you to pay the arrears before issuing a boarding pass and/or before accepting your check-in luggage and/or before allowing you to board the flight.

I have a ticket booked for January, but it is a "throwaway ticket" booked months ago, when prices were still rock bottom, as a potential fall-back position in case I miss my "main" repositioning flight back from OSL after yet another cheap ex-OSL biz ticket to the States.

I was willing to fork out €35 to have a seat on the very last flight to AMS on that Janaury night just in case something goes wrong with my plans earlier in the day. But I am not going to pay the tax now, unless I actually have to take the flight, which I won't know until the day in question.

I will update this thread with any developments as they occur
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dliesse
But they most definitely have.

All airlines operating in/from Norway have to pay the first batch of taxes on 18 July. Every passenger that has travelled on a flight departing from a Norwegian airport - with the sole exception of Svalbard airport, and all passengers aged under 2 - now gives rise to a NOK80 or NOK88 (for domestic flights) per passenger liability which the airlines now owe the government.

Some airlines, such as SAS, said that they would absorb the costs themselves for those passengers who had already paid for tickets in the affected timeframe prior to the final, very late, confirmation of parliament that the tax would go ahead.

Others, such as Norwegian and Ryanair, attempted to retroactively collect these taxes from the affected customers. Ryanair has thrown a predictable fit and is diverting airframes based in Norway to other countries in protest. RYG airport is likely to close in October as a result.

Originally Posted by Price Waterhouse Coopers
The first payment of the passenger tax is due 18 July 2016. The Directorate of Taxes will be the responsible authority for the passenger tax.

What about all flights already booked and paid for?

As mentioned, the passenger tax shall be paid per passenger for all flights from Norwegian airports from 1 June. This entails that the passenger tax will be applicable on a number of flights that have already been booked and paid.

It has not been given any transitional rule etc. to ward off this problem. The airlines will thus have to pay the passenger tax on all of these flights, even though the tax has not been charged to the passenger.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 13, 2016 at 2:34 am
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But they most definitely have.
I don't see how. The law was passed in December 2015 and came into force in June 2016 - where's the retroactivity? (one might argue that tix bought before Dec 2015 for travel after Jun 2016 might be affected)

If airlines sold tickets after Dec for flights after 1/June without this tax component, it's their mistake and a different matter.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I don't see how. The law was passed in December 2015 and came into force in June 2016 - where's the retroactivity?
People have purchased tickets in the period between July 2015 and May 2016 for travel after 1 June 2016. These people paid no tax, because no tax was due.

However, parliament decreed that tax is due on all passengers travelling from 1 June onwards, regardless of when they paid. Therefore, there are a substantial number of passengers subject to the tax which the airlines are expected to pay for, although they never got the chance to collect the tax from the passenger.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If airlines sold tickets after Dec for flights after 1/June without this tax component, it's their mistake and a different matter.
How would they have known in December that the tax would be introduced on 1 June? The Norwegian government didn't announce the date until the second half of May. And I don't think you can seriously argue that any airline should have been levying the tax, "just in case", for all tickets sold since December, or any other random date. Unless every airline flying to Norway did the same, it would put that "diligent" airline at a huge disadvantage by making their flights more expensive than their competitors. Plus, it would have caused the problem of having to refund hundreds/thousands of customers who had paid a tax that wasn't required.

It was the airlines wish that the tax would never be introduced in the first place. It ran into trouble with the EFTA too, who investigated whether the exemption for transit/transfer passengers would amount to illegal state aid. There was a lot of hope in the industry that the tax would never be introduced at all. Similar taxes were scrapped after a very short period in both Ireland and the Netherlands.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 18, 2016 at 2:59 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
How would they have known in December that the tax would be introduced on 1 June? The Norwegian government didn't announce the date until the second half of May
Upthread (post #20) it says
. . . . it was passed in December 2015, to take effect 1 Apr 16, and then postponed to 1 Jun 16
I've no idea who's right here, but it's different dates from those you mention.

Even with the earlier date though, there will be pax who purchased before then for flights after June 2016 who Norwegian hope to charge retroactively.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
who Norwegian hope to charge retroactively.
Yes, this is the crux.

Norwegian assumed they would just be able to collect the taxes retroactively (after issuing the ticket). Now they find that they are unable to under Norwegian law. And yet they are liable for tax on each of these tickets.

So they try to get people to voluntarily pay, as a first step.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.