Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 compensation at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

EU261 compensation at airport?

Hello

I am currently in Porto, waiting for my flight to Brussels with Vueling. The flight is delayed 2 hours 45 minutes. Apparently there was an aircraft change so that is an operational reason. The flight is 1475 kilometer so I think that I am entitled to EU261 compensation. Now: where do I go? Can I go here at the airport or do I have to file a claim after the flight?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:08 am

Take your flight first, you will only be able to claim once you have actually arrived late.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:40 am

For EU261 compensation, the arrival time will decide if you've a claim or not.

With 2hrs45min planed departure time, it might be very well that your final arrival time will still be within 2hrs in the end.

As Ditto said, you'll have to fly first, then you may have a claim.

Oh, and be prepared to put up a fight to get your money. They'll not pay out compensation "on the spot". Only when things REALLY went bad (As in, Germanwings-bad 60hrs delays) I've heard of EU261 compensation being paid right at the airport..
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:17 am
Original Poster

As it stands now, the departure is now 12:15 instead of 8:55 and arrival 15:23 instead of 12.15 so pretty sure I will fall in the compensation category. The incoming flight showed the following status:
Due to operational reasons your flight will operate out of the scheduled time. This circumstance will produce a delay that we are working to minimize. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do I file a claim at the airport (and if so, where) or do I have to go online somewhere?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Do I file a claim at the airport (and if so, where) or do I have to go online somewhere?
You will need to claim from the airline, whether you do it at their office or on-line is entirely up to you, but again, you can only do that after arriving at your destination and knowing exactly how long you were delayed.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

So I sent an email to vueling and got an answer back. Obviously I am not satisfied. However, in the EU261 ruling, there is no mention for compensation for delay (article 7). On the other hand every website states that I am entitled to delay compensation of €250. Any ideas how to formulate a response to them where I can include the legal bits?

====
Dear Customer,

In response to your complaint, we would first of all like to apologize for any inconvenience.

Our Passenger Compensation and Service Plan includes the option, whenever you decide not to wait for the delayed plane, to:

- A free change of date (if a similar price range is available) on delays of more than two hours.

- Reimbursement of the ticket on delays of more than five hours.

Furthermore, if this action does not create even more delay, food and refreshment vouchers are offered according to the delay time, complying with the Regulation 261/04 of the European Council.

Having complied with the European Regulations, we have to inform you that we cannot resolve your claim to your satisfaction by offering you additional compensation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
====
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
This is Vueling's standard response, to deny that you are entitled to anything. The Spanish authorities are weak at enforcing the EU law so it know it can get away with it.

Follow this thread for legal options:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...nsation-2.html
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Use one of the many agencies that will pursue the airline for compensation on your behalf on a no-win, no-fee basis.

Note, however, that as we have no idea what the reason was for the delay we have no idea whether you are actually entitled to any compensation. Can you tell us the exact reason (we need more than "operational reasons" in order to figure out if your claim stands any chance) if this is known to you? And how late did you actually arrive at your destination?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

The ticket Desk said there had been an aircraft change and we arrived at 15:50.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Then the question becomes: why was an aircraft change deemed necessary?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:33 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Oh, and be prepared to put up a fight to get your money. They'll not pay out compensation "on the spot". Only when things REALLY went bad (As in, Germanwings-bad 60hrs delays) I've heard of EU261 compensation being paid right at the airport..
OS and LH pay right at the airport for overbooked flights
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GBobon
OS and LH pay right at the airport for overbooked flights
Denied boarding compensation is very different from compensation for delays. For denied boarding, it is clear cut you will always need to be compensated. For a delay they would want a central evaluation of whether or not they are supposed to pay. The gate staff is not in a position to judge that.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:13 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Denied boarding compensation is very different from compensation for delays. For denied boarding, it is clear cut you will always need to be compensated. For a delay they would want a central evaluation of whether or not they are supposed to pay. The gate staff is not in a position to judge that.
you're right
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Hello

Just an update. After a few email exchanges, I finally got €250 today in my account. Here is the timeline of events:
1) 20 June: delayed flight
2) 23 June: Got standard answer and I sent a new complaint on the online form
3) 1 July: sent them an email that we are two weeks after the flight and if they refuse to give compensation, I will have to take legal action but I hoped that we would reach an agreement.
4) 6 July: they ask my bank details to send the money
5) 20 July: they conform they have my bank details but that transfer could take up to 20 days
6) 25 July: checked my account and found €250 from them.

It was obvious from the beginning that they would have to pay up. They tried to deter me and I think with a lot of people it works (if they complain in the first place at all).I was thinking for a while to ask an agency to do the claim but their fees are quite high for such a small amount. I think that you should stand your ground and eventually you will get your money.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
All's well that ends well. Good job chasing it up, it's the only way airlines will learn. I'm with you on the agency point too. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.