Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 12:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 737-8 will have a lower fuel burn of about 2.5l/100km/pax (instead of 2.9 with the 738), but how much fuel will this aircraft have left at the end of a 8h mission? Maybe enough to do one diversion and/or one go around as required, but not much more.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

On Monday I bought a round trip ticket for August between Providence and Bergen Norway for $301. Today it's $241. I'm actually a little ticked

I reserved the window seat in the last exit aisle for leg room. Now wondering if I should have went for bulkhead. Any ideas? Pros and cons? I basically just stuff a pillow against the window, right side always, and try to sleep.

Old May 25, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by celfan
On Monday I bought a round trip ticket for August between Providence and Bergen Norway for $301. Today it's $241. I'm actually a little ticked
They just launched a sale.

I reserved the window seat in the last exit aisle for leg room. Now wondering if I should have went for bulkhead. Any ideas? Pros and cons? I basically just stuff a pillow against the window, right side always, and try to sleep.
should have *gone*

If you want legspace, bulkhead seats are the worst.

In any other row, you can extend your feet under the seat in front of you. Bulkhead seats do not allow this.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They just launched a sale.

should have *gone*

If you want legspace, bulkhead seats are the worst.

In any other row, you can extend your feet under the seat in front of you. Bulkhead seats do not allow this.
when I reserved my seat, a bulkhead option on the seating chart stated more legroom.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
when I reserved my seat, a bulkhead option on the seating chart stated more legroom.
No one has seen the 737-8 cabin yet, so difficult to say. Norwegian has both good and bad legroom versions of row 1 on their existing fleet.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any reports about the Newburgh service yet? Do you get to select your own seats at the 24-hour mark, and how picky are they with the carry-on baggage allowance (size and weight)?

I've got some family members going in July and we just measured some suitcases to comply. The "additional bag" is a weird size (like a small rectangular box).

I saw they were selling seats to Edinburgh for July for $99 again this week. My guess is that booking are as horrific as I expected. I wouldn't wait until next year if you want to do this; I'm sure the service will disappear.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Expect them to be extremely picky with carry-on sizing and weight.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
Expect them to be extremely picky with carry-on sizing and weight.
Yeah, it will be interesting to get reports. I don't have a bag scale at my house. Ten kg is not "generous" -- I could conceive of a small rollerboard and personal item weighing more than this. Will they need to take a jacket and stuff the heavy stuff into it?

For the personal item, I'm thinking they'd be best taking a small not-completely-filled backpack and "rolling it up" in the sizer if necessary. Would that work if you can squish it into the space? This way, while in Europe, they can throw some items in (like a box of crackers and such) if they need to.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Any reports about the Newburgh service yet?
Services don't start for another 3 weeks.

I saw they were selling seats to Edinburgh for July for $99 again this week. My guess is that booking are as horrific as I expected.
That was a sale on the new services, available until June 3 or whenever the 6,000 seats available each way sold out.

I wouldn't wait until next year if you want to do this; I'm sure the service will disappear.
If it does, it will more likely be due to continued attempts in the US to derail these services, or a post-Brexit UK at least temporarily losing access to the US air market when it ceases to be a member of the EU/US open skies agreement.

A recent article on the Financial Times reported on the rise of the ULCC TATL markets. And some details might challenge your perceptions.

Originally Posted by The Financial Times

New technology means the next-generation narrow-bodies will be able to fly six to eight-hour routes at a lower cost than even the most fuel-efficient wide-bodies. This will enable airlines to increase the frequency of flights on existing transatlantic routes, as well as unlock a range of new nonstop services. Barclays estimates that this could equate to as many as 60 additional point-to-point routes.

Andrew Lobbenberg, analyst at HSBC, agrees that the economics of the new narrow-body planes are “really appealing”.

“It means smaller markets that you once laughed at being a transatlantic market can become one, hubs get overflown and airlines that couldn’t previously fly transatlantic markets . . . now can,” he says.

From next month, Norwegian will be using the 737 Max 8 aircraft to launch 10 routes to the US from five UK and Irish cities. The range for this plane means it will be confined to flying from the UK or Ireland to the US east coast. However, the launch of the A321 LR in 2019, which has an additional 500-mile range, will provide more potential, with the ability to fly longer distances from continental Europe to the US and Canada.
Some graphs from that article are reproduced here...

You will no doubt be surprised to see that they stand to make a far greater profit from their 737Max fleet than from their Dreamliners...
Attached Images    
Old May 30, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If it does, it will more likely be due to continued attempts in the US to derail these services, or a post-Brexit UK at least temporarily losing access to the US air market when it ceases to be a member of the EU/US open skies agreement.

A recent article on the Financial Times reported on the rise of the ULCC TATL markets. And some details might challenge your perceptions.
We'll, we'll see. I've had a successful 30 year career as an airline investor -- how many people can say that! -- and if you pitched me this business idea I would first laugh and then flee the room.

BTW, be skeptical of what you read in the papers about airline financials. There are fewer than a half dozen USA aviation reporters who actually know enough about the business to have valuable insight.

There's a reason smart, profitable low fare airlines like Easyjet and Southwest aren't doing this. It's because they're smart and profitable.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The fuel burn on the 737 Max and 320 neo is about the same per 100 pax km as the dreamliner or A350. I doubt they make that much more considering they are serving point to point and have to sell at a very low price point to fill their cabins.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The fuel burn on the 737 Max and 320 neo is about the same per 100 pax km as the dreamliner or A350. I doubt they make that much more considering they are serving point to point and have to sell at a very low price point to fill their cabins.
It is the ancillaries on which the low cost carriers make their profits, oliver.

And let's face it - the ancillaries are less avoidable on longhaul than on shorthaul.

Time magazine reported last year that the big US3 airlines made a combined total of $14.7 billion from ancillary fees in the previous year - almost half of the global take.

Ryanair today announced that they are upping their target for ancillary revenues - which last year already surpassed a previous 20% target much earlier than planned - to account for 30% of revenues by March 2020. Today's figures show that ancillary revenue rose by 13% to €1.8bn [while scheduled revenue declined by 2%], bringing ancillary's share of total revenue up to 27% from last year's 24%.

If fuel prices stay low, then their ancillary revenues should overtake their fuel costs next year.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 30, 2017 at 10:15 am
Old May 30, 2017, 11:38 am

Do you get to select your own seats at the 24-hour mark, and how picky are they with the carry-on baggage allowance (size and weight)?
Generally with Norwegian you can choose your seat when checkin in, but only at the airport and NOT online. So if you go to an airport where they have the check-in machines you can use those even on the day before, but otherwise you have to live with the assigned seat.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=irishguy28;28378570]It is the ancillaries on which the low cost carriers make their profits, oliver.

And let's face it - the ancillaries are less avoidable on longhaul than on shorthaul./QUOTE]

Actually, I suspect the ancillary revenue (except perhaps luggage -- inexperienced travellers always seem to think they need all their worldly possessions with them) will be pitiful for the Newburgh flight as it will cater mostly to backpackers. I mean, who else is going to seek this service out?

Originally Posted by Arctifox
Generally with Norwegian you can choose your seat when checkin in, but only at the airport and NOT online. So if you go to an airport where they have the check-in machines you can use those even on the day before, but otherwise you have to live with the assigned seat.
Aw, that's too bad. Hopefully there's enough empty seats for them to still get something decent. But if Norwegian keeps selling the seats for $99 for July travel, I don't think they'll be many empty seats. I think there would be in October, however.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I suspect the ancillary revenue (except perhaps luggage -- inexperienced travellers always seem to think they need all their worldly possessions with them) will be pitiful for the Newburgh flight as it will cater mostly to backpackers. I mean, who else is going to seek this service out?
Backpacks are not valid carry-on on Norwegian flights. Bags must be sized 55x40x23cm or less and in the LowFare, Lowfare+ and Premium fare families must weigh less than 10kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.