Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
it looks like the average departure delay on LGW-JFK is 25 mins

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ghtNumber=7015
They give LGW flights higher priority to try to make sure that they are operated on time, to the point that they'll delay long haul flights from Scandinavia if they need the aircraft at LGW.
Sometimes, not even that is enough, and they have major delays at LGW.

Three 40+ hour delays from LGW during one week in 2014: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-flight-delays

25-hour delay from LGW a couple of weeks ago: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trave...-a2928781.html

Look at the performance on some their other routes.
Here's one of the most recent examples of a 70-hour delay: http://www.thelocal.no/20150603/norw...-70-hour-delay

If you fly DY, you can forget about getting rebooked on another airline if there's a major delay.
Don't fly DY long haul unless you don't mind risking to arrive a couple of days late...

Here's a thread discussing the neverending delays: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...e-reports.html

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Sep 26, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I'm pretty comfortable saying "No". I highly doubt they're going to base CBP agents in Cork for 4 weekly flights. Shannon has 3 flights a day to the U.S. through most of winter and more in the summer.

Besides, they'd have to completely re-design the setup at ORK because in the current setup I have no idea where they'd fit pre-clearance facilities.

For me it's not really an option anyway as I don't really go to Boston and hesitate to book Norwegian in the first place. TATL on a 737 is not something I'm eager to experience.
I'm not sure it was a serious question
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:21 am

it looks like the average departure delay on LGW-JFK is 25 mins

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ghtNumber=7015
- and 39min on CPH-FLL and 64 on CPH-JFK and 45 on CPH-BKK - on AVERAGE

Would not even consider booking them.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
and 39min on CPH-FLL and 64 on CPH-JFK and 45 on CPH-BKK - on AVERAGE

Would not even consider booking them.

but reading the earlier posts, you'd have thought the average was 6 hours !

for me the decision whether to fly with them would come down to how much the price difference was.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:35 am

but reading the earlier posts, you'd have thought the average was 6 hours !

for me the decision whether to fly with them would come down to how much the price difference was.
Remember to factor inn all the extras (bagage, meals, seat reservation, etc. as needed) - and then you need to put a value to the extra hazzle and unpredictability the Norwegian provides for "free".
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Transatlantic services from Cork Airport will service 10 cities

Originally Posted by "The Irish Times
US authorities have granted a licence to Irish-based low-cost Norwegian Air International, paving the way for direct flights from Cork and Shannon to Boston.

Norwegian Air has been given permission to fly up to four times a week between Cork and Boston from next summer and there are hopes it could also have a direct connection to New York.
Originally Posted by The Irish Times
In little over a month, Cork Airport has announced not just one but two new transatlantic services.

Norwegian Air International will offer direct flights from Cork to Boston and New York,while Icelandic carrier Wow Air has confirmed plans for a service from Cork to the US via Reykjavik.

On Friday, the US transportation department announced it would make an order granting a foreign carrier permit to Norwegian to operate the Cork-Boston service. This comes some two years after the Irish subsidiary of Norwegian Air Shuttle first applied for the permit.

A spokesman for Norwegian said detailed planning was now underway for the new service which will operate four times a week and he expected the company would announce the exact start up date early in the New Year when it will also announce when it is taking bookings.

Originally Posted by The Irish Times

US president-elect Donald Trump will have an opportunity to reverse the decision by the US Department of Transportation to grant a foreign carrier permit for a new Cork-Boston air service.

Under US law, the president can “disapprove an order” by the US Department of Transportation within 61 days so the decision to grant a foreign carrier permit for Norwegian Air International for its Cork-Boston service will not be finalised until January 31st.

Aviation sources point out that while president Barack Obama said he did not intend to disapprove the order immediately, his term of office will expire before the 61 days are up, with Mr Trump being sworn in as president on January 20th.

However, the chances of Mr Trump overturning the decision are slim, aviation sources said.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NAI coming to Shannon, too

Originally Posted by The Irish Examiner
Talks over the weekend between airport bosses and Norwegian Air International (NAI) explored the possibility of fast-tracking the launch of the New York route following the permit breakthrough on Friday night.

Tickets could go on sale by March in the hope that the Boston service at least, and possibly the New York route too, could take off by June.

The low-fares services are likely to spark a transatlantic price war, and transform Cork Airport’s fortunes.

NAI has also announced plans to offer flights from Shannon.

It follows the DoT’s surprise decision on Friday — just two days after the European Commission triggered arbitration — to finally grant a permit to NAI to fly between Ireland and the US almost three years after it applied.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Boston" doesn't mean BOS (Logan International) airport!

Originally Posted by Boston Herald
Norwegian Air Shuttle’s Irish-based subsidiary, which finally won U.S. regulatory approval for low-cost flights between the U.S. and Europe on Friday, no longer is eyeing Boston’s Logan International Airport for its new direct service to Cork, Shannon and Dublin, Ireland.

Norwegian will choose between New Hampshire’s Portsmouth International Airport and T.F. Green Airport in Warwick, R.I., for Norwegian Air International’s nonstop flights aboard Boeing 737s, citing costs as the reason. The single-aisle 737 carries 150 fewer passengers than the Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights that Norwegian will continue to operate out of Logan.

“To operate the Boeing 737s … from a primary airport becomes much more expensive with a small aircraft type than a larger aircraft type due to limited passenger numbers,” Norwegian spokesman Anders Lindstrom said.

“These are the routes that will launch with $69 fares and have average return fares of $300 (to) $350, including taxes. In order to operate such flights profitably, they need to be served by medium-sized/smaller airports within the Greater Boston and NYC areas,” Lindstrom said.
Despite its title, Portsmouth International currently has no international service. The requirements re customs an immigration have not even been mentioned in local news reports, however. From ORK, Norwegian will have no access to US CBP in Ireland - unless they come up with some horrible option of stopping in SNN to pre-clear there!!!

T.F. Green Airport is only 6 miles from Providence, Rhode Island, and has international service (Portugal and the Azores) so may be a better bet.

Originally Posted by Providence Journal

European discount airline Norwegian is considering T.F. Green Airport as a base for a planned U.S. expansion that would start with direct flights to Ireland.

Norwegian's Irish subsidiary on Friday received a federal permit to serve the United States and airline executives announced plans to launch service from Cork, Ireland, to airports serving the New York City and Boston areas.

In New York, Norwegian has selected Stewart International Airport in the Hudson River Valley. In New England, the Scandinavian carrier is considering both Providence and Portsmouth International Airport in New Hampshire, Anders Lindstrom, Norwegian's U.S. director of communications, confirmed Tuesday.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Bradley International Airport in Connecticut is also under consideration for Norwegian service.

Lindstrom said a decision on the Boston-area airport will be made "in early 2017."

Whichever New England airport is chosen, Norwegian plans to base two new 737 Max airplanes there and hire 75 people to serve as pilots and crew.

Originally Posted by Seacoastonline.com
If Portsmouth is selected by the airline to be one of its two U.S. bases - Stewart International Airport in upstate New York is expected to be the other - it plans to fly about 18 total flights a week overseas out of the airport, Mullen said.

"They would include several in Ireland, several in England, one in Norway and one in Scotland," Mullen said.

Airline officials told them they would take anywhere from two weeks to two months to make their decision after the meeting, but Mullen thinks Norwegian might speed up its choice because the U.S. Department of Transportation approved its application for service to the United States late last week.

"We can't guarantee what their decision will be but it will be a low-cost provider for international service across the pond," Mullen said.
Similarly to "Portsmouth International", New York's "Stewart International" - 60 miles north of New York - also has no international service at present.

Last edited by irishguy28; Dec 7, 2016 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sean Spicer's comments yesterday are being widely interpreted in the Irish media as explicit (rather than tacit) approval of the NAI flights

Originally Posted by Irish Independent

Ireland is poised for a massive tourism boost after US President Donald Trump confirmed he has no objection to plans by a budget airline to enter the transatlantic market.

US President Trump’s spokesman, Sean Spicer, confirmed when questioned about plans by Norwegian Air International (NAI) for new US-Irish routes that the White House sees major benefits in the project.

“From what I understand, we are talking about a deal where 50 per cent of the crew and pilots based in the United States,” Mr Spicer said.

“They fly Boeng aircraft. It is a major economic interest in the United States in the agreement right now,” he added.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... the ME3 all fly Boeing aircraft...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Irish Examiner
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) finally signed off on Norwegian Air International’s (NAI) Section 129 application late on Friday night.

It was the last document the low-fares airline needed before it could formally announce route details and begin selling tickets.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Norwegian announces 10 new routes Belfast/Dublin/Edinburgh/Cork and Shannon

Low-cost airline announces 10 new routes and 38 weekly transatlantic flights from Edinburgh, Belfast, Cork, Shannon and Dublin to greater New York, Boston and New England areas

Low-cost airline Norwegian today announced a series of groundbreaking new transatlantic flights from 5 cities in the UK and Ireland, offering passengers low-cost travel to the USA from just Ł69/€69.

In total, Norwegian will launch 10 new routes with 38 new weekly transatlantic flights this summer from Edinburgh, Belfast, Cork, Shannon and Dublin. The flights will serve three destinations on the US east coast, with a focus on smaller US airports – these airports offer good access into the New York, Boston and New England areas but carry significantly lower landing charges, allowing Norwegian to offer some truly affordable fares that will allow as many people as possible to fly.

The new transatlantic routes will be operated on brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft - Norwegian is the European launch customer for this state-of-the-art new aircraft which offers a longer range and greater seat capacity than existing single-aisle aircraft. Passengers will be able to travel in a fresh and modern single-class economy cabin with hot and cold food options available to purchase onboard.

http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pres...cities-1823267
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
So... The proposal is to fly to a secondary airport in the UK or Ireland, to fly to an airport in the middle of nowhere to get to e.g. New York? Excuse me while I don't find this very attractive, but I'll grant that the passenger inconvenience is fairly ground breaking.

At the price, I am fairly certain that they will find a market. Though I doubt a 38 flights a week market. Even if it is on relatively small planes.

One should remember that unless one happens to live in one of these cities in the UK or Ireland, the connection from somewhere else to there will be added to the 69 GBP....
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One should remember that unless one happens to live in one of these cities in the UK or Ireland, the connection from somewhere else to there will be added to the 69 GBP....
This is the first ever transatlantic route from ORK and something that the airport authority has been campaigning for for a long time.
I am hugely confident that this route will be a success.

As for the two new DUB > USA routes, Aer Lingus have had the monopoly on these routes for decades with only minor competition from American.
I have a strong feeling that they'll both be full for the foreseeable future also.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So... The proposal is to fly to a secondary airport in the UK or Ireland, to fly to an airport in the middle of nowhere to get to e.g. New York? Excuse me while I don't find this very attractive, but I'll grant that the passenger inconvenience is fairly ground breaking.

At the price, I am fairly certain that they will find a market. Though I doubt a 38 flights a week market. Even if it is on relatively small planes.

The proposal is not about connections. These are O&D flights. The UK/EI cities, particularly DUB and EDI, are major population centres with significant demand to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.