Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

NCL to/from Rome FCO with Jet2 - can I take my tripod like this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NCL to/from Rome FCO with Jet2 - can I take my tripod like this?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Question NCL to/from Rome FCO with Jet2 - can I take my tripod like this?

Hi,

I'm heading off on a city break in a couple of weeks with Jet2, going to and from NCL to Rome FCO. As a keen photographer I was planning on taking my nice new ultra compact and ultra lightweight carbon fibre Sirui travel tripod, but have read equal measure of reassuring and scary stories about getting a tripod past the check-in desk and, most of all, security. I've not been to FCO before and have visions of some security officer complaining at me in Italian and wanting to confiscate my tripod on the return leg.

What do you reckon is the chance of being allowed through with a set-up like this, with the tripod strapped to the outside of a smallish camera bag?

It's not a big bag, so nowhere near the size limits (standard cd jewel case gives you some idea of proportions, the bag is a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L), including the tripod. The tripod is secured with one leg in the mesh pocket at the side of the bag, and tethered at the top shoulder of the bag.

As mentioned, security officers are my main concern (I can't financially afford to lose such a tripod, and need it again for a non-flying trip shortly after I get back). Which are also reasons I don't want to put it in my checked baggage. However Jet2's page about birdwatching holidays (not that I'm going birdwatching) says to put the tripod in the hold:
http://www.jet2holidays.com/birdwatching

I've also got a long-haul BA flight in October that I want to take it on, but since I'm allowed two pieces of cabin luggage then I can put the tripod in it's proper bag and take that as my smaller second item... again as long as there's no issues with security.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I guess if anything they might think it's potentially usable as a blunt weapon like a baseball bat. Size is not usually a concern of security.

Have you considered phoning NCL and FCO airports to ask whether it would be allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.