Wiki Posts
Search

WOW Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
WOW Airlines

Taking WOW Air from BOS in September on a $99 deal to AMS. Quick connection in KEF. Anyone else flown it yet? Tips? Suggestions? Was the deal too good to be true?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:01 pm

We just flew BOS-KEF on WOW, and about half the plane was connecting to Europe vs. stopping in Iceland so you'll be in good company.

They do weigh your bags, so if you're carry on and are over their free limit of 5kg, pay the extra in advance. They weren't overly strict about the weight on our flight, and let a passenger take their 5.8kg carry on without charge. Since they charge for any carry-ons over 5kg, there is ample overhead storage space, so no need to worry about boarding first.

Plane was clean and comfortable. We paid extra for extra legroom which was worth it to us for the ~5-6 hour flight. You have to pay for everything on the plane, even water I believe. There is no IFE, which can be a good thing when it comes to legroom, as the electronics for the IFE typically take up space underneath the seat in front of you.

KEF is an easy airport to connect in with good food options if you have time.

Wish I would've gotten in on that deal!! Have fun!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Thought I would update this thread. We just flew WOW for the first time from BWI to KEF for a long weekend. We booked an XL seat (2A & 2B) on the overnight flight and then a standard seat (13E & 13F) on the return. As stated above they did weigh our carryon bags at BWI during check in. However, we had only paid the for the extra weight for one carry on on the way back, just in case we wanted to buy any beer, wine, or spa products we figured we wanted to have the option of checking one bag on the return. We ended up not needing to do that, but we missed the window to buy the extra weight online. I figured we would just pay for it at the airport, however at KEF, they asked us to check in at a kiosk and never asked to weigh our carryon bags. We were able to get away with not paying for the extra weight on the return. I might try to risk it out of KEF if I were to try them again, but YMMV.

As to the seats, the XL seats did provide a couple of more inches of legroom, but it wasn't significant. The XXL seats provided a bit more, and if I were very tall or needed a lot more legroom, I would go for the XXL and not bother with the XL. Mr. channonc is average height (6 feet) and I'm an average height woman, and we were fine with the standard seat. I'm not sure if we would bother getting the upgraded seats next time for such a short flight again, I'm not sure it was really enough of a difference to make it worth it.

Boarding, cabin service were all fine. There is no frills (no IFE, no wifi) but for the price, it was good.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Any insight on the A330-300 used for their new long legs?

Looking at a flight in June SFO-KEF segment, and since it doesn't start the route until June 10th apparently SeatGuru doesn't have any data on it. I haven't been able to find any single-class A330 on other airline.

Trying to decide if the XXL seats (+$57.99) are worth it for our family of 4. It is a long flight so maybe so. The 2 little people won't care but we might. Also trying to find best seats don't want to end up non-reclining on a lav bulkhead.

We flew them last summer CDG-KEF and found it easy to keep under 5 Kg per passenger. But we are the kind of light packers who travel with sporty clothing and one shoulder bag for weeks. YMMV.

Last edited by ElPresidente; May 4, 2016 at 1:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.