Worst airline ever [Vueling]

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:47 pm

They have been getting bad press in Italy recently :

Police step in to calm stranded Vueling passengers at Rome airport

Police were called in Sunday at Rome Fiumicino airport to calm passengers angry with continuing delays at Spanish low-cost airline Vueling.
According to the ANSA news agency, passengers started throwing water bottles at Vueling staff. A video broadcast by the SkyTG24 news channel showed people shouting and banging on things at the airline's check-in desks.
They were among a group of 200 people whose flight to Lefkada, Greece, originally scheduled for Saturday afternoon, was delayed by more than 24 hours.
On Saturday, civil aviation watchdog ENAC said Vueling risked losing its flight licence if it continued canceling flights at Fiumicino and failed to assist stranded passengers. Hours after making the threat, ENAC said the airline was taking corrective steps.

http://dalje.com/en-world/police-ste...airport/552039
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by KRSW
In my experiences, the cheaper the price of the base fare the lower the class of pax on the plane. There's a reason I avoid ultra-low cost carriers. Over here in Yankland, JetBlue is the only low cost carrier I'll do. No Southwest or Spirit or the others. And yes, I do notice a distinct difference between some of the JetBlue flights vs. AA or DL.
Distinct difference as in JetBlue treats you like a human being, offers decent legroom and free snacks/beverages that don't cost an arm or a kidney?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by marcworld
1) Can't check in online
Why? More detail on this point needed to comment. When did you try? how did you try? How did the problem manifest itself?

2) Checking in at the airport, they ask me what kind of seat do I want. I had already chosen seats online! They say, no you didn't. (Yes I did.) Got decent seats anyway...ok no big deal, but
But if, as you say above, you did not check on online, then your seats - while reserved - would still not be locked as far as checkin staff are concerned.

Staff offered you a choice, really don't see why this point is here.

3) ATH-BCN Flight is listed an hour late. Eventually became 3 hours late. Status is never updated.
On who's system? Athens airport?

4) I can accept that all refreshments are paid, even water...but the refreshments were just outrageously overpriced. A bottle of water and a tiny little bag of almonds set me back almost 7 euros. Obscene.
What price were you expecting to pay?
This seems quite normal to me, across many carriers.
I think you are the one who must have come in with unrealistic expectations.

And most of the menu was unhealthy fast food garbage. Like, complete garbage. I could get something at McDonalds, set it on fire, eat the charred item, and still come out healthier that something from that Vueling menu.
The vueling menu contains many healthier options the some other airlines I've been on!

However, again, what on earth were you expecting them to be selling? It's snack food.

5) Seat pitch - pretty brutal, but I'll give them a pass on this one too, low cost carriers are what they are.
so why is it in the list?

6) My next flight, BCN-RAK, is listed online all day as 1hr late. I appreciated the notice, thinking, well I can just show back up at BCN later and enjoy my dat at Sitges. But then at the last second, the status is changed back to ON TIME. So I freaked out and RAN back to the airport...only to wait at the airport for 2 hours. Not only did it go back to being 1 hr late, it was even later. The Flightstats page says "79 minutes" but that's pretty generous, we didn't really get off that plane until 90+ minutes late. They don't really inform you of status or reasons or anything at all.
So don't leave the airport. Again, maybe this is expectations, but you should arrive at the airport at the scheduled time regardless. Anything can happen, aircraft substituted. And as with any situation, things can change in both directions, decisions reversed etc.

7) This flight was very late at night, supposed to depart at 11:45pm, so when I'm getting onto the plane after 1am, I was so sleepy I could barely keep my eyes open. I kind of stumbled a little at the plane door. And I was mad, and my face looked grumpy I'm sure. A very stern male flight attendant kind of scolded me in Spanish, asking me "are you alright?" but in a very accusatory tone, as if I was a drunk or something. (I was completely sober.) I had to convince this guy I was fine and healthy instead of ripping his head off about the inexplicable lateness.
Could be language issues. Could also be bad staff member.
When both occur, it is a problem.

8) THE CROWD - is this all europeans? Just all spaniards? Just Vueling low budget travelers?
You seem keen on blanket generalisations:

But they were all sick - plane full of coughing people who don't cover their mouths and who have absolutely no respect for personal space, or polite queueing, or patience at all. Both flights, the plane landed and everyone immediately jumped out of their seat - while the plane is still moving on the tarmac - and shoving themselves into the aisles to be the first one off. I'm always in a hurry, so I'm kind of sympathetic, but yeesh this was just crazy. And blatant line cutting in the jetway too! Standing there, waiting for people to board and the coughing jackholes behind me not only refuse to stay back (let's cough our germs onto everyone!) but they even tried to shove up in front of me while I was standing there!
The flight probably had a lot of people from loads of countries, and with varying cultural backgrounds with regard to how queues occur and what is expected.

How much personal space were you expecting in a queue? Based upon some of your other points in this post - while it should not be sardines - I'm concerned it might be unrealistic.

9) My bag was damaged, not enough to file a claim (and I doubt they would care or do anything) but damaged still.
Again, this just sounds like a run of bad luck. Bags do suffer wear and tear in the baggage systems, and that often occurs as a series of randomly occurring specific events, rather than continual wear as you would get with fading or friction, etc.

My approach is: Is the bag damaged beyond acceptable levels for wear. If it is report it no matter how small the damage, if not, accept it as part of use.

So when I'm boarding, I ask the guy, "can you tell me what is the new arrival time?"

He can't figure it out. He is totally confused. He tells me "it's 3 hours minus 2." Well the flight time is wrong. His idea of the time zone difference is wrong. He stumbled some more and then said something like "you figure it out."

I said "that was not helpful, at all."

I don't think he understood me or cared.
Again, I think your expectations from ground staff are WAY off. They will be handling loads of flights a day, to all sorts of places. Other than the turn around on the ground at their airport, and the schedules for that departure operation they will have no involvement with the wider flight.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I've flown VY a few times, mainly on short sectors to/from BCN, and found them ok. The legroom is a bit grim, even though I'm not that tall, and for that reason I wouldn't really fancy them on more than a 90 minute or so sector, but otherwise no complaints. Not had IRROPS so far though (mind you, it's not as if some more vaunted airlines distinguish themselves in tha area).

"Worst airline ever" is just the usual internet hyperbole, we live in an era when people struggle to just say "it wasn't very good" when they have a poor experience...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by David-A
1) Can't check in online
Why? More detail on this point needed to comment. When did you try? how did you try? How did the problem manifest itself?
When did I try? At the appropriate time window before my flight. How did I try to check in online? ONLINE. ON THE INTERNET.

Honestly...the rest of your comments, deserve equally snarky answers. Yeesh. I'm cranky because I had a terrible experience so I came on here to vent, amongst other frequent flyers.

Originally Posted by David-A
You seem keen on blanket generalisations:
You seem keen on being a contrarian.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:09 pm

Erm... if there's someone on here being snarky, well...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: frequent flyer, airline cards
"THE CROWD - is this all europeans? Just all spaniards? Just Vueling low budget travelers? But they were all sick - plane full of coughing people who don't cover their mouths and who have absolutely no respect for personal space, or polite queueing, or patience at all. "
That made me laugh. Europeans in general, and spaniards in particular seem to lose any human decency when they board a plane. I once flew Martinair from MIA to San Jose. The flight originated in Amsterdam with a MIA stopover. Upon boarding in MIA, I thought I had just walked into a petting zoo. The entire cabin stank of rank B.O. Even local buses in India didn't smell as bad. Europeans just have no concept of personal hygiene. Beyond gross, and yet they think the world revolves around them. Disgusting.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It seems the good advice and welcoming mutual respect expected on FlyerTalk is no not always present in this thread, and some posts have degenerated to snark or personal comments and overly broad generalizations about other members or groups of people.

We'll close this now, with a gentle reminder of the Rules we agreed to abide by when we were granted free membership privileges.

12.0 Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content
Link to this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules....sivedisruptive

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Gracias!

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.