Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP unwilling to replace 1 month old destroyed luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I flew with TAP to Portugal last week and they completely destroyed my Girlfriends RIMOWA luggage that I gave to her as a birthday present 6 weeks ago.

They are unwilling to replace it.

Do you guys know what I can do in such a situation? Do I have ground to sue them or should I just try to bring them bad publicity on the internet? What is the best way to handle this?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Can you post a photo of it here? Did you make a claim at the airport? What did they offer you that wasn't a total replacement?

As others may chime it that it is your choice to buy expensive luggage.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Sorry to hear about the Rimowa and the specialty lost of it.

I have 3 myself, I'm keeping them for domestic travel within the state NOT for flying.
Bought them in Germany, sent it back as luggage, they were already scratched like crap.

Airlines truly don't care about the publicity.

My suggestion to you is to file an DOT Complaint for damaged luggage compensation.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Bought them in Germany, sent it back as luggage, they were already scratched like crap.
And here I love seeing all the new scratches and dings on mine Rimowas.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Normal procedure is to report the damage on arrival, take a damage report, then get an assessment from a luggage place, then file for repair/replacement cost.

If the luggage place says its damaged beyond repair you get the residual value from the airline. Straight out of the box it has 90% residual value, which goes down 10% each year till being frozen at 50%.

Did you get an assessment done?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
My suggestion to you is to file an DOT Complaint for damaged luggage compensation.
And what jurisdiction would the US DoT have over a Portuguese airline??
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
And what jurisdiction would the US DoT have over a Portuguese airline??
Chance OP flew internationally

-------------------

OP what was your origin country of the flight?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many airlines have wording in their CoC saying that they're not responsible for luggage damage to wheels, handles, etc. Try to check what the TAP policy is. I'm assuming that there's no airline status. [If OP is, for example, UA GS or LH HON, it might be worth contacting the "home" airline, especially if they issued the ticket or operated flights on the itinerary. I've experienced airlines being willing to repair luggage only because I was a top tier elite.]

Is there a Rimowa warranty that would apply?

Does the OP or GF have coverage through a homeowner's/renter's policy or by a credit card purchase protection plan?

Most major airlines have rules that baggage loss and damage (including theft of items inside the bag) must be reported within seven days on international itineraries, with a shorter deadline for domestic travel. [I'm not sure whether this is an IATA agreement, covered by DOT/EC regulations, or just convention among legacy carriers. I suspect it comes from the IATA rule that the airline delivering the passenger to the destination is responsible for luggage claims.] It's best to report the damage at the airport but this is not required.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 15, 2015 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TP has the usual exclusions, but still follows the usual protocol: report damage as soon as you notice it (at the belt, or within a week), get an assesment of the damage, and file a claim.

Damaged luggage

Inform us immediately should your luggage be damaged on arrival or if you notice any items missing. You can do this in the airport, at the Lost & Found desks in the luggage reclaim area.
Limited Liability

TAP will not be liable for damage caused by the normal handling and use of bags, such as scratches, cuts, dents, latches/locks, plates/attachments, missing handles, alterations to the shape of the luggage or for fragile objects that were not properly secured.

If you only discover the damage or loss after you have left the arrivals zone, you can inform us in writing up to a maximum of seven days after the date of the flight, through Talk to us.
Aluminum Rimowas get dings and scratches, that's par for the course. Some wonder why people pay so much extra for a piece of luggage that is so sensitive, but that is another discussion Airlines ask you to get an assessment of the damage and usually have a liability insurance that pays for the damage if protocol is followed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.