Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

OSL Minimum Connection Time (DY-->DY)

Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent

Hi guys,

Quick question: is 1:15H enough connection time at Oslo Airport given the following conditions?
- Three travelers, 2 separate legs on two different tickets (SVG - OSL - HEL)
- Checked luggage on both legs, but needs to be picked up in OSL and re-checked
- Needing to clear security again
- Apparently DY doesn't offer mobile check-in, only at the counter?

The reason I ask is we already have OSL-HEL booked but looking at adding Stavanger to our itinerary and just flying to OSL in time to make our other flight. FWIW, Norwegian does sell the itinerary as one ticket, though we've already booked one leg and it's too expensive to change it.

I've contacted Norwegian via Twitter and they confirmed I would need to pick up the checked luggage in OSL but didn't respond when I asked this same question.

I've done a few searches so please point me in the right direction if this has already been answered.. I've looked at these two threads specifically but haven't found a definitive answer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordi...o-airport.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordi...time-oslo.html

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bj27; Jul 3, 2015 at 12:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Since you'd be traveling on two separate tickets and you'll have to pick up your bags and recheck them in Oslo, you're technically not "connecting" in Oslo. You're ending one trip and starting another. Therefore, what matters is the bag dropoff deadline for your OSL-HEL trip. For international flights, the bag dropoff deadline is 45 minutes.
If you only have 1:15 between the flights at OSL, you'll most likely miss the cutoff since it can easily take 25 minutes to get your bag, and that would only give you 5 minutes to get your bags dropped off. If there's a line at checkin, you're screwed.
Boarding closes 30 minutes before departure.

DY offers online and mobile checkin: https://www.norwegian.com/en/custome...-and-boarding/

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Jul 2, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Since you'd be traveling on two separate tickets and you'll have to pick up your bags and recheck them in Oslo, you're technically not "connecting" in Oslo. You're ending one trip and starting another. Therefore, what matters is the bag dropoff deadline for your OSL-HEL trip. For international flights, the bag dropoff deadline is 45 minutes.
If you only have 1:15 between the flights at OSL, you'll most likely miss the cutoff since it can easily take 25 minutes to get your bag, and that would only give you 5 minutes to get your bags dropped off. If there's a line at checkin, you're screwed.
Boarding closes 30 minutes before departure.

DY offers online and mobile checkin: https://www.norwegian.com/en/custome...-and-boarding/
This is super helpful. Thank you. We're booking an earlier flight that unfortunately gives us a longer layover of 3 hours, but is enough time to do all of the above and probably get a nice meal in between flights.

Thank you for your advice!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Generally agree on the above, altough the cutoff for delivering bags and checking in for a flight between OSL and HEL is 30 minutes, which technically gives you a few minutes extra. I personally NEVER would fly on two separate tickets with just 75 minutes in between, but if all goes your way, it can be done, technically and hypothetically speaking. Nevertheless, I would seriously advise you to take one flight earlier with either SAS or Bjørn. There are usually plenty of flights during the day, so it would probably only take up to one hour extra. One hour you're going to need on OSL during summer.

You can check in online with Bjørn, the link is already there. OLCI does not give you the option of seat assignment though, so you may end up apart from each other. You can change this again at the check in machines in OSL, if you have a bit of time left.

Talking about the luggage, my experience is that it takes, on average, 30 minutes to get the luggage. OSL is very, very slow, both SAS and the others, at handling luggage. My all time low is actually 1,5 hours before I had my priority luggage tagged bag.

My experience is also that Bjørn is quite strict with deadlines for delivering luggage. You may have to print out your luggage tag at the check in machine anyway, put it on yourself and deliver it at a self service kiosk. Seems like the self service kiosk is not to be avoided when flying Norwegian.

Fortunately, there are plenty of those. Just go to the nearest elevator or escalator up from arrivals. You should actually be very close when walking out of domestic arrivals. Just look left or right, whatever you prefer. Kiosks are located on one side of the terminal.

Keep in mind that waiting times during summer can be horrible due to hordes of Norwegians flying to vacation destinations. And most Norwegians pretend to never have flown before and pretend that if they're not in a hurry for their charter flight, you aren't in a hurry either. Not sure if fast track is a good idea, as it's flooded with all the SK silver people.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Generally agree on the above, altough the cutoff for delivering bags and checking in for a flight between OSL and HEL is 30 minutes, which technically gives you a few minutes extra. I personally NEVER would fly on two separate tickets with just 75 minutes in between, but if all goes your way, it can be done, technically and hypothetically speaking. Nevertheless, I would seriously advise you to take one flight earlier with either SAS or Bjørn. There are usually plenty of flights during the day, so it would probably only take up to one hour extra. One hour you're going to need on OSL during summer.

You can check in online with Bjørn, the link is already there. OLCI does not give you the option of seat assignment though, so you may end up apart from each other. You can change this again at the check in machines in OSL, if you have a bit of time left.

Talking about the luggage, my experience is that it takes, on average, 30 minutes to get the luggage. OSL is very, very slow, both SAS and the others, at handling luggage. My all time low is actually 1,5 hours before I had my priority luggage tagged bag.

My experience is also that Bjørn is quite strict with deadlines for delivering luggage. You may have to print out your luggage tag at the check in machine anyway, put it on yourself and deliver it at a self service kiosk. Seems like the self service kiosk is not to be avoided when flying Norwegian.

Fortunately, there are plenty of those. Just go to the nearest elevator or escalator up from arrivals. You should actually be very close when walking out of domestic arrivals. Just look left or right, whatever you prefer. Kiosks are located on one side of the terminal.

Keep in mind that waiting times during summer can be horrible due to hordes of Norwegians flying to vacation destinations. And most Norwegians pretend to never have flown before and pretend that if they're not in a hurry for their charter flight, you aren't in a hurry either. Not sure if fast track is a good idea, as it's flooded with all the SK silver people.
This is great advice. Thank you! We didn't want to chance missing our flight and SK and Bjorn are considerably higher priced flights even compared to DY fares that include baggage. I gave us ~3 hours of connection time which should be plenty from the comments above, and also should give us enough time to grab something to eat. Thank you again!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I just had a 3 hour "layover" in OSL that was on two separate tickets. I flew from the US to OSL on Delta and then flew Norwegian to SVG. I could have booked an earlier flight to SVG and almost wish I had but I was connecting in CDG and was worried about getting from 2E to 2G. It turned out I had plenty of time in CDG.

Anyhoo, from the time I deplaned from my CDG-OSL flight, checked in for SVG and checked my bag, went through security and got to my gate, was about 25 minutes. 2 1/2 hours+ is a long time to sit in an airport with no lounge access.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by yohanson
I just had a 3 hour "layover" in OSL that was on two separate tickets. I flew from the US to OSL on Delta and then flew Norwegian to SVG. I could have booked an earlier flight to SVG and almost wish I had but I was connecting in CDG and was worried about getting from 2E to 2G. It turned out I had plenty of time in CDG.

Anyhoo, from the time I deplaned from my CDG-OSL flight, checked in for SVG and checked my bag, went through security and got to my gate, was about 25 minutes. 2 1/2 hours+ is a long time to sit in an airport with no lounge access.
Well, sorry to see that you didn't like OSL on your first transit there. Just for your information:

- I have OSL as my base. I visit the airport on average more than weekly. My experience is that luggage handling takes 30 minutes on average from the moment the plane reaches the gate for medium sized aircraft. Delays happen quite often at OSL, even 15 minutes will be sufficient to not make the connection when having just 75 minutes from arrival to departure. Getting from the luggage carousels to the departure area is a breeze, though.
Anyway, I would personally advise at least 2 hours connection time when traveling on two different tickets.
- DY is a budget airline. It doesn't offer lounge access at all (used to do so for about 35 euro at a contract lounge for international departures, not sure how that is nowadays. It still offers fast track security for 12,5 euro). Up to about one year ago, no one had lounge access on domestic flights in Norway, not even from OSL, not even premium passengers with diamond cards on legacy carrier SK. Then SK decided to open the most rudimentary lounge in the history of airlining just above gate 15. It's not much, but it's something. No other airport in Norway offers any lounge access at all, unfortunately: it's just not common in this country...

Anyway, I share your thoughts on CDG and taking precautions. Airporting doesn't get more French than that. I've had my share of adventures there and decided to avoid the place like the plague for the rest of my life.

Small tip: next time you fly DL here, you can try to fly via AMS, as KL offers direct flights to SVG. Saves a lot of hassle on OSL and on having 2 different tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.