Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Connecting in KEF on Icelandair questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

I need a one way flight from the UK to YYZ, Canada. I can fly from Glasgow, Birmingham or London. I'm hoping to avoid flying out of LHR due to higher fees and ticket cost.

THe flights from the UK only have a hour of connecting time. Is this enough in KEF? What happens if I miss my connection?

I am on a mission to fill my passport, will have time to get my passport stamped into Iceland and out of the country within that time?

Is food expensive at the airport and will are credit cards accepted at places in the food court.

Any information on KEF will be welcome.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA/Plat, DL/Gold, SPG/Plat, HHonors/Gold, FoundersCard, Eagles Fan
Icelandair is known for quick connection times, and KEF is a relatively (ok, absolutely) small airport; you'll sail through customs. Credit cards are usable everywhere. Note that there may be a lot of walking time involved, so be prepared to scoot a boot.

Your connection might be fine, but food/shopping time will be limited at best. Fortunately they make shopping very easy. Food is... well, it's an airport.

(Unknown as to whether you'll get a stamp in transit.)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by izzyizzo
Icelandair is known for quick connection times, and KEF is a relatively (ok, absolutely) small airport; you'll sail through customs. Credit cards are usable everywhere. Note that there may be a lot of walking time involved, so be prepared to scoot a boot.

Your connection might be fine, but food/shopping time will be limited at best. Fortunately they make shopping very easy. Food is... well, it's an airport.

(Unknown as to whether you'll get a stamp in transit.)
I agree with Izzyizzo...I just flew from DEN-KEF-LHR then from LGW-KEF-DEN. No issues with an hour connection either way. You will NOT get a passport stamp in Iceland unless you go out of the basement level which is where all the flights to the US/Canada/UK are located. If you go upstairs to all of the Europe Schengen Area flights are you will get a stamp. Just do a 24 hour layover in Iceland to get a stamp.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cohusker
I agree with Izzyizzo...I just flew from DEN-KEF-LHR then from LGW-KEF-DEN. No issues with an hour connection either way. You will NOT get a passport stamp in Iceland unless you go out of the basement level which is where all the flights to the US/Canada/UK are located. If you go upstairs to all of the Europe Schengen Area flights are you will get a stamp. Just do a 24 hour layover in Iceland to get a stamp.
I stayed in Iceland 36 hours a few months ago, landing at KEF to catch a flight out of RKV (to Greenland) and didn't get a stamp in either direction, though I didn't go out of my way to get one, either.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
One hour will be plenty of time, if your inbound flight is on schedule. If not, as you are on a through ticket, Icelandair will rebook you.

Credit cards are accepted for everything in the airport. A better food selection is available in the departure hall in the main terminal.

When you arrive from the UK, as you deplane, you will enter the non-Schengen transit area on the lower level. All arriving passengers from countries other than Schengen countries enter here. If you are connecting to a flight to non-Schengen country, you can wait for your flight here.

This would be your case, as you are traveling UK-Canada, but also true for those traveling UK-US (or the return).

If you want a passport stamp, you need to pass through passport control and enter the Schengen area, just as you would if entering Iceland, or connecting to a flight to a Schengen country.

All you do is take the escalator up from the non-Schengen transit area (lower level) and go thru passport control. From there you can enter the main terminal departure hall, with many shops, food, bar, etc. When you go back to your gate, you will go thru passport control again (another stamp for the passport) and exit the Schengen area, and take the escalator down to where you started from.

It sounds like a lot, but an hour is plenty of time to clear into Schengen, get food and beverage, shop, and get back to your flight. KEF is very compact, and passport control is quick.

You don't mention your citizenship, so you may want to verify you do not need a visa to enter. No visa is needed for most people, but you may be from someplace that does require one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

It is definitely doable to get your passport stamped (in and out) and get food in the departure hall with a 1 hr connect time in KEF.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:31 am

Seems a shame to only have an hour - Icelandair offers stopover tours including overnight stays. It's well worth it even if all you see is the Golden Circle
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:22 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by alanR
Seems a shame to only have an hour - Icelandair offers stopover tours including overnight stays. It's well worth it even if all you see is the Golden Circle
I agree with others that one-hour transit should be enough, provided that inbound flight is on-time. I did LHR-KEF-YYZ once so I can report from my experience. KEF is a nice airport.

I also agree with alan R. Iceland is a great travel destination. Too bad it's too far from where I base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.