Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

How does Icelandair do connections at KEF so fast ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

So I am looking to go from SEA-CDG on Icelandair. The connection at KEF is 50 minutes.

How do they unload a plane of passengers and luggage, process us through immigration and customs, and reload us and all our luggage in 50 minutes? Yesterday's connecting flight left one minute early!

Is it really that easy and quick?
Old May 3, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
All of my experiences at KEF were amazingly efficient and simple... Except when the volcano blew its top and that was another story.

Yes they are that good!
Old May 4, 2015, 2:56 am

I'm guessing a bit as I only went as far as KEF and don't recall the layout, but perhaps no customs or immigration for transit passsengers.

Not all KEF-CDG will have originated in SEA, so only a small proportion of pax or luggage will have the 50 minute window.

Similarly, not all SEA-KEF traffic will be heading for CDG and may be getting off at KEF, or going somewhere with longer transit.

Mainly it's a small airport so no great distances involved, add in a bit good organisation and efficiency and it just works.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VIE & MUC also have short connection times... no biggie if you have your processes under control.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Easily doable - there is no customs/immigration, and the whole airport has like 15 gates.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Easily doable - there is no customs/immigration, and the whole airport has like 15 gates.
I'm not sure that is true. There has to be customs and immigration and passengers connecting onward to European destinations have to clear there.

That is what makes Icelandair so great...no formalities in your final European destination.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by david4455
That is what makes Icelandair so great...no formalities in your final European destination.
As if the 'formalities' in the EU were cumbersome
Old May 6, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As if the 'formalities' in the EU were cumbersome
As a citizen of the US I consider my arrival into CDG and processing through immigration as one of the most frustrating, time consuming, hassles of travel.
So yes... it is cumbersome and a formality I would gladly turn over to Iceland.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
As a citizen of the US I consider my arrival into CDG and processing through immigration as one of the most frustrating, time consuming, hassles of travel.
So yes... it is cumbersome and a formality I would gladly turn over to Iceland.
Not sure CDG is a model of efficiency for anything.

Seriously though, we travel to the EU 4-6 times a year and don't recall a single "frustrating, time consuming or hassle" experience.
Try entering the US without Global Entry.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How do they unload a plane of passengers and luggage, process us through immigration and customs, and reload us and all our luggage in 50 minutes? Yesterday's connecting flight left one minute early!
Why would a connecting passenger have to go through immigration AND customs? They're not bringing anything into the country, so why would they need to clear customs (that is done at the point of arrival)?

Just because the US does this to all arriving and transferring* passengers does not mean that everyone else does/should, too. It is totally unnecessary to process pax that are not entering the country in this manner. So most places do not perform such needless procedures.

(*Yes, there are a tiny number of exemptions for transfer pax in the US).
Old May 6, 2015, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Okay.... I automatically add the word "customs" after "immigration" by habit.

I stand corrected.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Another factor is that Icelandair operates narrow-body aircraft only. Yes, that can still mean 200 or so people, but it's not like they're trying to process an entire A380 or 777 in that time period.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
IIRC, Iceland is a signatory state to the Schengen treaty hence the requirement for immigration and customs clearance (for carryon only, checked bags are cleared at arrival destination in Schengen) at KEF.

There was also some talk that if one last cleared security in the U.S., then reclearing in the E.U. (and by extension Schengen) is not necessary.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
UK and Ireland being the exception to the rule, being part of EU but not Schengen.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stuart_f
UK and Ireland being the exception to the rule, being part of EU but not Schengen.
and Romania and Bulgaria

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.