Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

How does Icelandair do connections at KEF so fast ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Icelandair do connections at KEF so fast ?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure CDG is a model of efficiency for anything.
This reminds me ...
I took an airline industry course at MIT where a world class airport design expert said something like:

"CDG has an example of every single type of airport terminal design. It's also an airport where in every single case they got it wrong!"
Old May 7, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
it's a tiny airport and very efficient
Old May 7, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
and Romania and Bulgaria
In addition to the UK, Republic of Ireland, Romania and Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus are also not part of the Schengen area. Despite not being in the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechenstein are part of the Schengen area.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
and Romania and Bulgaria
+ Cyprus and Croatia
Old May 8, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
IIRC, Iceland is a signatory state to the Schengen treaty hence the requirement for immigration and customs clearance (for carryon only, checked bags are cleared at arrival destination in Schengen) at KEF.

There was also some talk that if one last cleared security in the U.S., then reclearing in the E.U. (and by extension Schengen) is not necessary.
Schengen and EU aren't interchangable. Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are all Schengen members but not in the EU. UK, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia are all EU states but not in Schengen. I'm not even going to start talking about the craziness in the microstates. (Like Gibraltar that isn't in Schengen nor in CTA like UK and Ireland. Good luck if you need an exit stamp walking from Spain for a flight from GIB to LHR)
Old May 8, 2015, 5:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also security issues and schengen are not interchangable (someone alluded to that upthread):
Germany for example considers transit arrivals from the US to be 'clean' ie they can transit without any further security screening. The UK doesn't, nor do they accept most mainland EU standards, every transit pax must be rescreened.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: British Airways, AAdvantage, Marriott, Hyatt
I'm not sure I've gotten a consistent answer on this.
I'm flying USA-->Toronto-->Iceland/KEF-->Paris
(American citizen).

Do I go through immigration in Iceland (entering Schengen) and customs in Paris (to go to baggage claim)?
Old May 11, 2015, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, passport control in KEF, customs check (if at all) in CDG.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
VIE & MUC also have short connection times... no biggie if you have your processes under control.
Yes on MUC - why can't all airports be like that !

VIE - could not disagree more, try connecting Schengen to non-Schengen without running.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure CDG is a model of efficiency for anything. :
It hurts me to disagree with you SFO777, but from arrival gate to taxi, I've found CDG by far the quickest of any major European airport...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:16 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by acvitale
All of my experiences at KEF were amazingly efficient and simple... Except when the volcano blew its top and that was another story.

Yes they are that good!
I concur that. KEF is a pleasant airport for transiting quickly.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by Tony_Flyer
I'm not sure I've gotten a consistent answer on this.
I'm flying USA-->Toronto-->Iceland/KEF-->Paris
(American citizen).

Do I go through immigration in Iceland (entering Schengen) and customs in Paris (to go to baggage claim)?

If you are flying from Canada, you will go thru security upon arrival in KEF as well. Doesn't matter if you are connecting or staying in Iceland.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Easily doable - there is no customs/immigration, and the whole airport has like 15 gates.
there is schengen entry/exit for connections meeting this criteria.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by royng
I concur that. KEF is a pleasant airport for transiting quickly.
+1

I connected in KEF earlier this year for the first time since the late 90's. I was shocked to see how it had grown, from around 7 gates to over 25. But still a quick, efficient airport to connect in and a very nice lounge for those who have the time and access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.