Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

FAE-KEF/KEF-GLA NY/FI connection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Considering a booking using Air Iceland (NY) FAE-KEF, and 50 minutes after scheduled arrival KEF-GLA on FI (icelandair) (kef-gla is only 3 days a week when I am looking at going, and fae-kef only 2, hard to make the ends meet). I know KEF well but have never flown to or from the Faroe Islands. I read that they are not Schengen but are still part of Danish immigration, but in truth have no idea which side of Schengen immigration they are in KEF. So the simple version of the question -

Do NY flights from FAE arrive inside or outside of schengen entry at KEF?

I am aware that severe winter gales likely can shut down FAE if this plane is fairly small, and am taking that into consideration (the risk with so many attached, separately ticketed elements, is probably prohibitive), but to better plan, want to know how immigration works with inbound from FAE.

Does Icelandair own Air Iceland? for some reason I thought FI owned a domestic carrier, but I cannot seem to book these two airlines together.

Any insights appreciated.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:22 pm

Ok... I can answer part of this. Icelandair and Air Iceland are sister companies, both being part of Icelandair Group. However, to complicate this even more, the flights to and from FAE are operated by the Faroese airline Atlantic Airways in their A319.

I would really recommend talking to the Icelandair call centre to see if they can be booked on the same ticket.

Mark.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I have read in another thread here that despite the FaroeIsland webpage stating that the islands aren't part of Schengen, separate from DK visas for schengen, etc., , that in fact there is no passport control between Iceland and FAE. Maybe this is handled difference cph-fae. If one has to go through the schengen-exit line at KEF to get to a UK/North American flight, that would probably make 50 minutes a bit more riskier.

still plugging various days in, the 2-day-a-week flights kef-fae certainly present a scheduling challenge to match up to the rest of FI or whomever's (wow?) KEF schedule.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

If you need to get to scotland, easyJet do evening flights to EDI.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Faroe Islands are included in the Nordic Passport Union, so why would there be passport or national ID checks conducted by the government when flying between FAE and CPH or KEF (regardless of direction)? There would be no point in having a passport control point because the NPU arrangement precedes and mostly fits within Schengen.

Originally Posted by MarkTownley
If you need to get to scotland, easyJet do evening flights to EDI.
Atlantic Airways flies directly from FAE to either ABZ or EDI, but perhaps going via KEF is cheaper to get to Scotland from the Faroes than taking a more direct route.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 7, 2015 at 12:00 am
Old May 12, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Be careful, Reykjavik has two airports. I believe the FAE flights go from the domestic airport, not KEF. They're at least 40 minutes drive apart.

There are no entry formalities on this route, it is essentially a domestic route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.