Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair captain takes pax on a volcano sightseeing tour

Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

As they say in the article, what a thoughtful captain !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...r-on-tour.html
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Thumbs up!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Interesting...I was on board LH 438 last Saturday from FRA to DFW and we directly overflew Iceland while en route. I was aware there had been some earlier concerns with regard to a possible volcanic eruption so I was a bit surprised by the routing. The flight crew made no announcement concerning our route of travel and, of course, I was seated in a window seat on the wrong side of the aircraft and so did not notice any volcanic activity....but this may have been before the current eruption.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Those passengers were quite lucky. Apparently touring Bardarbunga is the latest, hottest thing to do in Iceland. Volcano sightseeing flights are sold out and on-the-ground Jeep tours are also very popular.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ttraction.html
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
once on an evening flight from IAH to MGA on UA, I could see lava coming out of a couple of volcanos in Central America. unforgetable
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just curious, but how on a 757 would a pssenger's perspective be such that there is aircraft components above them from out the window?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by sky303
Just curious, but how on a 757 would a pssenger's perspective be such that there is aircraft components above them from out the window?
If you are asking about the photo in the referenced article, the picture was taken from a seat forward of the wing. You are seeing part of the wing, the object appearing in the center/top of the photo is probably something akin to a pitot tube.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by GulkanaAlaska
If you are asking about the photo in the referenced article, the picture was taken from a seat forward of the wing. You are seeing part of the wing, the object appearing in the center/top of the photo is probably something akin to a pitot tube.
Welcome to FT. And I just dont get how that makes sense from the shot, and also the window doesn't have a shade, like it would on a 757. Almost looks like it was taken from an entirely different aircraft, like a high wing turboprop. And aren't the pitots on a five-seven towards the nose?

Last edited by sky303; Sep 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by sky303
Welcome to FT. And I just dont get how that makes sense from the shot, and also the window doesn't have a shade, like it would on a 757. Almost looks like it was taken from an entirely different aircraft, like a high wing turboprop. And aren't the pitots on a five-seven towards the nose?
My thought as well....and when I saw the photo, I thought it was actually taken from a high wing aircraft, probably a turboprop. BTW, I have an airline industry background which includes a management position with an ATR-42 operator in Hawaii.

Icelandair does not operate turboprops, only 752s and 753s.......however, Air Iceland does operate propjets, specifically the Dash 8 and Fokker 50 primarily on local service routes on the island. Both are high wing aircraft.

So I'm thinking that Icelandair is not really the air carrier involved here and it was actually Air Iceland.

Of course, this would not be the first time the news media got the facts wrong.......
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
My thought as well....and when I saw the photo, I thought it was actually taken from a high wing aircraft, probably a turboprop. BTW, I have an airline industry background which includes a management position with an ATR-42 operator in Hawaii.

Icelandair does not operate turboprops, only 752s and 753s.......however, Air Iceland does operate propjets, specifically the Dash 8 and Fokker 50 primarily on local service routes on the island. Both are high wing aircraft.

So I'm thinking that Icelandair is not really the air carrier involved here and it was actually Air Iceland.

Of course, this would not be the first time the news media got the facts wrong.......
But it might be the first time that an airline claimed it's pilot did something great, when in fact, it was another operator.

Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:00 pm

Wonderful news. Hard to imagine a pilot from a US carrier doing the same though.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by capacutec
once on an evening flight from IAH to MGA on UA, I could see lava coming out of a couple of volcanos in Central America. unforgetable
Sounds like when i saw the beautiful sunset over the coast of Honduras on DL 369 from ATL-MGA
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
this was actually an Air Iceland flight - not Icelandair
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Wasn't it something like this which got the captain of the Costa Concordia in trouble?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
this was actually an Air Iceland flight - not Icelandair
Yes it was.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.